[Micronet] dns problems

William Doyle
Good Day,

I'm seeing several computers with DNS failure. Can ping DNS servers, but no resolution.

Any other reports of this problem?

William Doyle
International House
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] dns problems

Graham Patterson

I called it in about 20 minutes ago. The 136.9 and 136.12 DNS servers
are only resolving campus addresses for us. Nothing off-site. The 206.9
and 206.12 server addresses do work for us.

Graham

On 8/3/12 11:40 AM, William Doyle wrote:

> Good Day,
>
> I'm seeing several computers with DNS failure. Can ping DNS servers, but
> no resolution.
>
> Any other reports of this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> William Doyle
> International House
> UC Berkeley
> 510-643-1724

Re: [Micronet] dns problems

Jon Johnsen
A good reason to include one DNS server from each subnet when tcp/ip is
configured.

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357

On 8/3/2012 11:42 AM, Graham Patterson wrote:

> I called it in about 20 minutes ago. The 136.9 and 136.12 DNS servers
> are only resolving campus addresses for us. Nothing off-site. The 206.9
> and 206.12 server addresses do work for us.
>
> Graham
>
> On 8/3/12 11:40 AM, William Doyle wrote:
>> Good Day,
>>
>> I'm seeing several computers with DNS failure. Can ping DNS servers, but
>> no resolution.
>>
>> Any other reports of this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> William Doyle
>> International House
>> UC Berkeley
>> 510-643-1724

Re: [Micronet] dns problems

Kellsie Munoz
Hi Micronetters,

Please inform the campus hostmaster in the case of suspected DNS issues via email to [hidden email]. That way we can investigate & escalate as needed.

Best Regards,

Kellsie Mũnoz
Service Desk Analyst & Hostmistress
Information Services & Technology
University of California Berkeley
(510) 643-1987  [hidden email]

On Aug 3, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:

A good reason to include one DNS server from each subnet when tcp/ip is
configured.

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357

On 8/3/2012 11:42 AM, Graham Patterson wrote:

> I called it in about 20 minutes ago. The 136.9 and 136.12 DNS servers
> are only resolving campus addresses for us. Nothing off-site. The 206.9
> and 206.12 server addresses do work for us.
>
> Graham
>
> On 8/3/12 11:40 AM, William Doyle wrote:
>> Good Day,
>>
>> I'm seeing several computers with DNS failure. Can ping DNS servers, but
>> no resolution.
>>
>> Any other reports of this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> William Doyle
>> International House
>> UC Berkeley
>> 510-643-1724

Re: [Micronet] dns problems

Rune Stromsness
On 03-Aug-12 12:02, Kellsie Munoz wrote:
> Hi Micronetters,
>
> Please inform the campus hostmaster in the case of suspected DNS issues via email to [hidden email]. That way we can investigate & escalate as needed.

And, following up a bit, we believe that we've identified one of the 8
servers providing recursive DNS to campus that was causing the problem.
 We've removed it from the anycast routing, so no one should be having
their requests sent to that server any more.

If anyone is still seeing problems please do open a ticket (hostmaster
or IST trouble desk) and include the exact time that you saw the problem
and what IP address you were using when you saw the problem.

Thanks,

Rune

> Best Regards,
>
> Kellsie Mũnoz
> Service Desk Analyst & Hostmistress
> Information Services & Technology
> University of California Berkeley
> (510) 643-1987  [hidden email]
>
> On Aug 3, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
>
> A good reason to include one DNS server from each subnet when tcp/ip is
> configured.
>
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
> 510 643-4357
>
> On 8/3/2012 11:42 AM, Graham Patterson wrote:
>> I called it in about 20 minutes ago. The 136.9 and 136.12 DNS servers
>> are only resolving campus addresses for us. Nothing off-site. The 206.9
>> and 206.12 server addresses do work for us.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> On 8/3/12 11:40 AM, William Doyle wrote:
>>> Good Day,
>>>
>>> I'm seeing several computers with DNS failure. Can ping DNS servers, but
>>> no resolution.
>>>
>>> Any other reports of this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --
>>> William Doyle
>>> International House
>>> UC Berkeley
>>> 510-643-1724

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] dns problems

Tholfaqar A. Mardan
I am using 128.32.136.12 and had this problem this morning, but now they
are working fine now.
thanks.
Dolf

Tholfaqar A. Mardan,