[Micronet] druva

Bruce Satow
So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [Micronet] druva

Greg Paschall-2
What I'd really like to know is why I had to read about this first today in the Daily Cal, a week after Druva's press release.

http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/01/uc-berkeley-updates-data-security-through-new-contract/

Operational Excellence?

Greg

On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?

---
Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
Deputy IT Officer
Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

Re: [Micronet] druva

Parrish McCorkle
To clarify, the reason you may not have heard of this is, all the details aren't worked out for the final push out to users.

Following is what we know:

The roll out of Druva's InSync endpoint backup solution will be provided to the campus in predesignated cohorts of Shared Services over the next 2 years. Support training is ongoing and when complete, the campus roll out will begin. There are licensed features that may not be deployed in the final configuration. Documentation will be provided to users as the client is issued.

The product will likely be issued by Shared Services to new devices only and not to preexisting hardware.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
What I'd really like to know is why I had to read about this first today in the Daily Cal, a week after Druva's press release.

http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/01/uc-berkeley-updates-data-security-through-new-contract/

Operational Excellence?

Greg

On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?

---
Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
Deputy IT Officer
Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

Parrish McCorkle

Storage Manager

University of California at Berkeley

2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D

Berkeley, CA 94720

Phone:510.664.9914

Cell:510.388.8344

Re: [Micronet] druva

Greg Paschall-2
So this is a Shared Services only solution, not a whole-Campus solution. Daily Cal and Druva didn't have the whole story I guess.

Greg

On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify, the reason you may not have heard of this is, all the details aren't worked out for the final push out to users.
>
> Following is what we know:
>
> The roll out of Druva's InSync endpoint backup solution will be provided to the campus in predesignated cohorts of Shared Services over the next 2 years. Support training is ongoing and when complete, the campus roll out will begin. There are licensed features that may not be deployed in the final configuration. Documentation will be provided to users as the client is issued.
>
> The product will likely be issued by Shared Services to new devices only and not to preexisting hardware.
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I'd really like to know is why I had to read about this first today in the Daily Cal, a week after Druva's press release.
>
> http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/01/uc-berkeley-updates-data-security-through-new-contract/
>
> Operational Excellence?
>
> Greg
>
> On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?
> >

> ---
> Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
> Deputy IT Officer
> Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
> 510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

> Parrish McCorkle
>
> Storage Manager
>
> University of California at Berkeley
>
> 2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> Phone:510.664.9914
>
> Cell:510.388.8344
>
> [hidden email]

---
Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
Deputy IT Officer
Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

Re: [Micronet] druva

Parrish McCorkle
No, it is a campus wide solution issued via Shared Services.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
So this is a Shared Services only solution, not a whole-Campus solution. Daily Cal and Druva didn't have the whole story I guess.

Greg

On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify, the reason you may not have heard of this is, all the details aren't worked out for the final push out to users.
>
> Following is what we know:
>
> The roll out of Druva's InSync endpoint backup solution will be provided to the campus in predesignated cohorts of Shared Services over the next 2 years. Support training is ongoing and when complete, the campus roll out will begin. There are licensed features that may not be deployed in the final configuration. Documentation will be provided to users as the client is issued.
>
> The product will likely be issued by Shared Services to new devices only and not to preexisting hardware.
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I'd really like to know is why I had to read about this first today in the Daily Cal, a week after Druva's press release.
>
> http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/01/uc-berkeley-updates-data-security-through-new-contract/
>
> Operational Excellence?
>
> Greg
>
> On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?
> >

> ---
> Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
> Deputy IT Officer
> Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
> 510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

> Parrish McCorkle
>
> Storage Manager
>
> University of California at Berkeley
>
> 2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> Phone:510.664.9914
>
> Cell:510.388.8344
>
> [hidden email]

---

--

Parrish McCorkle

Storage Manager

University of California at Berkeley

2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D

Berkeley, CA 94720

Phone:510.664.9914

Cell:510.388.8344

Re: [Micronet] druva

Tom Holub
Greg's concern (I presume) is that only a small percentage of users in his unit (and other research units on campus) are likely to be supported by Shared Services. If that turns out to be the case, what will his endpoint backup solution be for the rest of his users?

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, it is a campus wide solution issued via Shared Services.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
So this is a Shared Services only solution, not a whole-Campus solution. Daily Cal and Druva didn't have the whole story I guess.

Greg

On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify, the reason you may not have heard of this is, all the details aren't worked out for the final push out to users.
>
> Following is what we know:
>
> The roll out of Druva's InSync endpoint backup solution will be provided to the campus in predesignated cohorts of Shared Services over the next 2 years. Support training is ongoing and when complete, the campus roll out will begin. There are licensed features that may not be deployed in the final configuration. Documentation will be provided to users as the client is issued.
>
> The product will likely be issued by Shared Services to new devices only and not to preexisting hardware.
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I'd really like to know is why I had to read about this first today in the Daily Cal, a week after Druva's press release.
>
> http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/01/uc-berkeley-updates-data-security-through-new-contract/
>
> Operational Excellence?
>
> Greg
>
> On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?
> >

> ---
> Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
> Deputy IT Officer
> Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
> 510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

> Parrish McCorkle
>
> Storage Manager
>
> University of California at Berkeley
>
> 2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> Phone:510.664.9914
>
> Cell:510.388.8344
>
> [hidden email]

---
Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
Deputy IT Officer
Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

--

Parrish McCorkle

Storage Manager

University of California at Berkeley

2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D

Berkeley, CA 94720

Phone:510.664.9914

Cell:510.388.8344

Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Re: [Micronet] druva

Parrish McCorkle
My understanding is that this solution will be available to all faculty and staff by the end of 2014. If there are users that are not covered, more discussions may be required.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Tom Holub <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greg's concern (I presume) is that only a small percentage of users in his unit (and other research units on campus) are likely to be supported by Shared Services. If that turns out to be the case, what will his endpoint backup solution be for the rest of his users?

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, it is a campus wide solution issued via Shared Services.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
So this is a Shared Services only solution, not a whole-Campus solution. Daily Cal and Druva didn't have the whole story I guess.

Greg

On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify, the reason you may not have heard of this is, all the details aren't worked out for the final push out to users.
>
> Following is what we know:
>
> The roll out of Druva's InSync endpoint backup solution will be provided to the campus in predesignated cohorts of Shared Services over the next 2 years. Support training is ongoing and when complete, the campus roll out will begin. There are licensed features that may not be deployed in the final configuration. Documentation will be provided to users as the client is issued.
>
> The product will likely be issued by Shared Services to new devices only and not to preexisting hardware.
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I'd really like to know is why I had to read about this first today in the Daily Cal, a week after Druva's press release.
>
> http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/01/uc-berkeley-updates-data-security-through-new-contract/
>
> Operational Excellence?
>
> Greg
>
> On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?
> >

> ---
> Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
> Deputy IT Officer
> Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
> 510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

> Parrish McCorkle
>
> Storage Manager
>
> University of California at Berkeley
>
> 2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> Phone:510.664.9914
>
> Cell:510.388.8344
>
> [hidden email]

---
[...]

John D. MacDonald

In the meantime, there are countless (and probably cheaper) other
solutions for secure, cloud-based client backup.  Backblaze (founded
by a Cal alum?) is super easy, super secure (if you use the
client-side encryption, in addition to the default on-the-wire
encryption), and only costs $4/m per machine.  And that $4/month gets
you UNLIMITED storage.

Granted, Backblaze doesn't have all of the advanced enterprise
features that Druva does, but it's available today, dead simple, and
won't be axed the next time a consulting team makes it's way through
campus.

Just saying...

On 4/1/2013 4:02 PM, Parrish McCorkle wrote:

> [...]
>

> --
>
> Tom Holub ([hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>,
> 510-642-9069) Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
> 101.D Durant Hall <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>
> <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>
>

> --
>
> Parrish McCorkle____
>
> Storage Manager____
>
> University of California at Berkeley____
>
> 2195 Hearst Avenue, 2^nd Fl 225D____
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720____
>
> Phone:510.664.9914____
>
> Cell:510.388.8344____

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

- --
- -

===================================
 John D. MacDonald
 Information Systems Architect

 UC Berkeley School of Law - IS&T
 366 Boalt Hall
 510-642-7191
===================================

Re: [Micronet] druva

Tom Holub
I think you can assume that not all faculty and staff on campus will be covered by Shared Services by the end of 2014. (For some definition of the terms "faculty" and "staff").

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:
My understanding is that this solution will be available to all faculty and staff by the end of 2014. If there are users that are not covered, more discussions may be required.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Tom Holub <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greg's concern (I presume) is that only a small percentage of users in his unit (and other research units on campus) are likely to be supported by Shared Services. If that turns out to be the case, what will his endpoint backup solution be for the rest of his users?

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, it is a campus wide solution issued via Shared Services.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
So this is a Shared Services only solution, not a whole-Campus solution. Daily Cal and Druva didn't have the whole story I guess.

Greg

On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Parrish McCorkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify, the reason you may not have heard of this is, all the details aren't worked out for the final push out to users.
>
> Following is what we know:
>
> The roll out of Druva's InSync endpoint backup solution will be provided to the campus in predesignated cohorts of Shared Services over the next 2 years. Support training is ongoing and when complete, the campus roll out will begin. There are licensed features that may not be deployed in the final configuration. Documentation will be provided to users as the client is issued.
>
> The product will likely be issued by Shared Services to new devices only and not to preexisting hardware.
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Greg Paschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I'd really like to know is why I had to read about this first today in the Daily Cal, a week after Druva's press release.
>
> http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/01/uc-berkeley-updates-data-security-through-new-contract/
>
> Operational Excellence?
>
> Greg
>
> On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So what's up with campus licensing and Druva?  What's the details about this?
> >

> ---
> Greg Paschall -- [hidden email]
> Deputy IT Officer
> Space Sciences Lab - University of California, Berkeley
> 510-643-6907 -- 510-725-5855 (c) -- 510-643-7629 (f)

> Parrish McCorkle
>
> Storage Manager
>
> University of California at Berkeley
>
> 2195 Hearst Avenue, 2nd Fl 225D
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> Phone:510.664.9914
>
> Cell:510.388.8344
>
> [hidden email]

---
[...]

Graham Patterson
A good, clear explanation of what, if anything, of enterprise data may
be recovered in the absence of the originating user would be useful.
This has already come up with Google Drive and Box storage. I don't care
about retrieving personal data, but I do care about recovery of business
data that might not be otherwise stored.

And the same rules do not apply to faculty and staff.

Graham

On 4/1/13 4:23 PM, Tom Holub wrote:

> [...]
>             searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>             viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers,
>             and people who have known you in the past.
>

>         --
>
>         Tom Holub ([hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>, 510-642-9069)
>         Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
>         101.D Durant Hall
>         <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/> <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>
>

>     --
>
>     Parrish McCorkle____
>
>     Storage Manager____
>
>     University of California at Berkeley____
>
>     2195 Hearst Avenue, 2^nd Fl 225D____
>
>     Berkeley, CA 94720____
>
>     Phone:510.664.9914____
>
>     Cell:510.388.8344____

> Tom Holub ([hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>, 510-642-9069)
> Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science

Data that is backed up with InSync can be recovered by an administrator, provided it is still within its predetermined retention period.