[Micronet] editing files in Google Drive

[Micronet] editing files in Google Drive

Joyce Martin
I just want to be sure...

1. If you upload a microsoft word/excel doc to Google Drive - you cannot edit the file ONLINE using the MS application, correct?

2. However, you can download the doc from Drive, work on it in MS Office on your desktop, then re-upload to Drive.

--

Thanks!

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your
calnet passphrase

*Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/joycesblog/default.aspx>
***

*FSITSupport Website<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx>
*

*Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home.aspx>
*

Re: [Micronet] editing files in Google Drive

Nathaniel Baldwin-2
Joyce -

Have you checked out the Google Drive desktop app? https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive

Looks like that would let you access your google drive files (including uploaded word docs) from your local machine. I haven't actually used it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

--
Nat Baldwin
Unix Systems Supervisor

On Mar 18, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Joyce MARTIN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just want to be sure...
>
> 1. If you upload a microsoft word/excel doc to Google Drive - you cannot edit the file ONLINE using the MS application, correct?
>
> 2. However, you can download the doc from Drive, work on it in MS Office on your desktop, then re-upload to Drive.
>

> --
>
> Thanks!
>

> Joyce Martin
>
> Business Analyst
>
> Facilities Services Information Technology
>
> 2000 Carleton
>
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
>
> (510) 643-1485
>

> calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your
> calnet passphrase
>
> *Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/joycesblog/default.aspx>
> ***
>
> *FSITSupport Website<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx>
> *
>
> *Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home.aspx>
> *

Re: [Micronet] editing files in Google Drive

Guy D. VINSON
That is my understanding... you can't edit MS files in Drive, you have to download, edit and re-upload. Also files uploaded in their native format, not changed to google docs, count against your storage limit but google docs do not.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Joyce MARTIN <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] editing files in Google Drive

Guy D. VINSON
Yeah that works as well...

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Nathaniel Baldwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joyce -

Have you checked out the Google Drive desktop app? https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive

Looks like that would let you access your google drive files (including uploaded word docs) from your local machine. I haven't actually used it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

--
Nat Baldwin
Unix Systems Supervisor
Infrastructure Services, SA-IT
UC Berkeley

On Mar 18, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Joyce MARTIN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just want to be sure...
>
> 1. If you upload a microsoft word/excel doc to Google Drive - you cannot edit the file ONLINE using the MS application, correct?
>
> 2. However, you can download the doc from Drive, work on it in MS Office on your desktop, then re-upload to Drive.
>

> --
>
> Thanks!
>

> Joyce Martin
>
> Business Analyst
>
> Facilities Services Information Technology
>
> 2000 Carleton
>
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
>
> (510) 643-1485
>

> calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your
> calnet passphrase
>
> *Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/joycesblog/default.aspx>
> ***
>
> *FSITSupport Website<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx>
> *
>
> *Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board<https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home.aspx>
> *

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] editing files in Google Drive

Kathleen Valerio
That's correct - all editing in Google - can only be done in respective native google app (Doc, Spreadsheet, presentation etc.) however once the collaboration is completed - the google doc or whatever can be converted back to Excel powerpoint word etc.

The power of google resides in it's ability to support live input and collaboration whereas - formatting and/or printing to hard copy may still be better accomplished through MS or Acrobat products.

- Kathleen V

Kathleen Valerio
CalPact Coordinator
Center for Organization & Workforce Effectiveness (COrWE)
192 University Hall
2199 Addison St.
Berkeley, CA 94720-3548

Ph 510 643-0452
[hidden email]

[...]

thanks everyone!

it seems that Drive is not as straightforward as I thought.

For my immediate question, this is confirmed:

if you open your MS document online in Drive:
- when you open the doc, it opens a read copy.  One can make "comments" on it, but that is about it.
- you have to download the doc to edit (within its native program)

if you open your MS document from your "Google Drive" on your desktop
- when you open the doc, it opens office app also

Joyce

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Kathleen VALERIO <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John McChesney-Young
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Joyce MARTIN
<[hidden email]> wrote in part:

> it seems that Drive is not as straightforward as I thought.

Absolutely right. At least it's not CalTime, though.

> For my immediate question, this is confirmed:
>
> if you open your MS document online in Drive:
> - when you open the doc, it opens a read copy.  One can make "comments" on
> it, but that is about it.
> - you have to download the doc to edit (within its native program)

Guy Vinson and Kathleen V. alluded to this, but to make it more
explicit, there's a third option: to edit your file in your browser,
in Drive, using Google Docs. You can't get to this choice within the
screen showing your open read-only file, which was to me more than a
little confusing at first.

Select your file - i.e., check its checkbox - in its Google Drive
folder, go to More in the menu choices near the top of the screen, and
choose Open with.. and then Google Docs. This will convert the
.doc/.docx to the Google Drive native format, discarding unsupported
fancy features like columns (!), and then you can edit it in your
browser window. Once you've done that you can share it directly from
Drive, or you can download it in an assortment of file formats, just
as with any other file you've created within Google Drive. Obviously
if your original had characteristics the Google Drive format doesn't
support and which you care about keeping, you'll need to download the
original, revise, and re-upload your new version.

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] editing files in Google Drive

Richard DeShong-2
Joyce,
bConnected has two other file sharing options that would be good to consider

They have an Office plugin that allows "direct" editing.  They also have a much more extensive permissions structure, and you get 50GB of space.

Also, Research Hub is a way to create an intranet for your group:

<[hidden email]> wrote in part:

> it seems that Drive is not as straightforward as I thought.

Absolutely right. At least it's not CalTime, though.

> For my immediate question, this is confirmed:
>
> if you open your MS document online in Drive:
> - when you open the doc, it opens a read copy.  One can make "comments" on
> it, but that is about it.
> - you have to download the doc to edit (within its native program)

Guy Vinson and Kathleen V. alluded to this, but to make it more
explicit, there's a third option: to edit your file in your browser,
in Drive, using Google Docs. You can't get to this choice within the
screen showing your open read-only file, which was to me more than a
little confusing at first.

Select your file - i.e., check its checkbox - in its Google Drive
folder, go to More in the menu choices near the top of the screen, and
choose Open with.. and then Google Docs. This will convert the
.doc/.docx to the Google Drive native format, discarding unsupported
fancy features like columns (!), and then you can edit it in your
browser window. Once you've done that you can share it directly from
Drive, or you can download it in an assortment of file formats, just
as with any other file you've created within Google Drive. Obviously
if your original had characteristics the Google Drive format doesn't
support and which you care about keeping, you'll need to download the
original, revise, and re-upload your new version.

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu