[Micronet] equations mangled between Word 2007 (Win) and Word 2008 (Mac)?

[Micronet] equations mangled between Word 2007 (Win) and Word 2008 (Mac)?

Greg Merritt
We have a pair of users who are exchanging a Word document between
Word 2007 for Windows and Word 2008 for Mac.  It has many equations
created with the equation editor.

Often many of the equations have (very) incorrect characters rendered
on the Windows computer.

On the Mac, there may sometimes be incorrect characters rendered as on
the Windows machine.  In other instances, on the Mac, there are
equations that show only a red "X" over the equation box, with no
equation rendered.  Double-click a red "X" box will open the equation
editor and show the equation for editing.  Simply re-closing the
editor, without making any changes, will cause the equation to render
correction in the document again.

Have any of you encountered this before?

Re: [Micronet] equations mangled between Word 2007 (Win) and Word 2008 (Mac)?

Greg Merritt
...and a response that just came directly to me:

> Quote for you from Mactopia:
>
> "Equations saved in Word 2007 for Windows are not supported in Word
> 2008
> for Mac. The equations will be preserved so that they display
> correctly in
> Word 2007, but will appear as placeholders in Word 2008."
>
> The equation editor in 2008 (Mac) is not the new version that is in
> 2007(WIN). It's similar to the equation editor in 2004, ie 2003 (WIN).
>
> Short version, Equation editor in 2008 is equal to 2003. 2008 is not
> equal
> to 2007.

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] equations mangled between Word 2007 (Win) and Word 2008 (Mac)?

Erik Klavon
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 05:22:44PM -0700, Greg Merritt wrote:

> ...and a response that just came directly to me:
>
> > Quote for you from Mactopia:
> >
> > "Equations saved in Word 2007 for Windows are not supported in Word
> > 2008
> > for Mac. The equations will be preserved so that they display
> > correctly in
> > Word 2007, but will appear as placeholders in Word 2008."
> >
> > The equation editor in 2008 (Mac) is not the new version that is in
> > 2007(WIN). It's similar to the equation editor in 2004, ie 2003 (WIN).
> >
> > Short version, Equation editor in 2008 is equal to 2003. 2008 is not
> > equal
> > to 2007.

You might want to give TeXmacs a try.

http://www.texmacs.org/

Erik

Re: [Micronet] equations mangled between Word 2007 (Win) and Word 2008 (Mac)?

Phyllis Orrick
On a similar note, we discovered the hard way that footnotes  do not
translate well between Mac and PC versions of the newest Word and for
folks using different ages of Word and using the XML converter to open and
save them. The solution one of our team suggested (and it works) is to
have all participants save their files as .docs.

Phyllis Orrick
Communications Manager
Safe Transportation Research and Education Center,
University of California Transportation Center
UC Berkeley
2614 Dwight Way
Berkeley CA 94720-7374