[Micronet] eye strain and UCB ergonomic requirements

[Micronet] eye strain and UCB ergonomic requirements

Lawrence Huntley SWEET
Hi,

I work on a web site that has the following "readability" numbers.

Is anyone aware of campus regulations that might justify a change in our site colors (and some relief for my eyes)?

Thanks!

"Brightness differences less than 125 and colour differences less than 500 are not good for readability."

our Brightness Difference: 48 << 125
our Color Difference: 151 << 500

Also from W3C, on (luminosity) contrast ratios:
"Success Criterion 1.4.3 of WCAG 2.0 requires the visual presentation of text and images of text has a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1"

our lum. contrast ratio: 1.55:1 << 4.5:1

Lawrence Sweet

Re: [Micronet] eye strain and UCB ergonomic requirements

Lisa Ho
Hi Lawrence,

UC IT Accessibility policy requires compliance with the WCAG 2.0 standard at AA success criteria. I'm sure Lucy Greco can provide more details.

Lisa

--

Lisa Ho
IT Policy Manager

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Lawrence Huntley SWEET <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I work on a web site that has the following "readability" numbers.

Is anyone aware of campus regulations that might justify a change in our site colors (and some relief for my eyes)?

Thanks!

"Brightness differences less than 125 and colour differences less than 500 are not good for readability."

our Brightness Difference: 48 << 125
our Color Difference: 151 << 500

Also from W3C, on (luminosity) contrast ratios:
"Success Criterion 1.4.3 of WCAG 2.0 requires the visual presentation of text and images of text has a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1"

our lum. contrast ratio: 1.55:1 << 4.5:1

Lawrence Sweet

Re: [Micronet] eye strain and UCB ergonomic requirements

Web Accessibility
Hi Lawrence -

Lisa is correct (thanks Lisa!) about the campus policy.

The Web Accessibility team is available for these sorts of questions - for your reference (and for everyone else reading this email thread), please feel free to email [hidden email] at any time with questions about web accessibility (color contrast on websites is considered a web accessibility issue) and the campus policy.

The Web Accessibility team is also available to review campus websites (even if they are not yet live) for accessibility, and to provide guidance for improving/fixing any issues. Again, please feel free to email this account ([hidden email]) if you have a website that you'd like reviewed.

Lawrence, I will email you separately about your website and any additional questions you might have.

Thanks,

Anna Gazdowicz
Program Coordinator, Web Accessibility Team