[Micronet] file sync - home and office (Windows)

[Micronet] file sync - home and office (Windows)

jsparks

Hi,

What are you using to sync files between home and office?

Microsoft stopped support of sync in favor of Live Mesh.

Is anyone using Mesh for remote file sharing, syncing two computers directly, i.e. not using a website?

VPN is necessary at a minimum, anything else I need to configure pls?

Jay

Re: [Micronet] file sync - home and office (Windows)

John D. MacDonald

Why sync when you can store files on AFS and have them accessible at
work, home, via the web, ftp, etc?

Yeah, it sounds like an ad, but in all seriousness, having all of my
work-related files on AFS has saved me many times (and many trips back
to campus at night/on the weekend).  The current OpenAFS clients are
pretty fast and stable, and rapidly improving, which was not always the
case.  AFS is by no means perfect for all people all the time, but we've
managed to move the vast majority of all data in the law school to AFS
with mostly great results.  Oh, and no VPN required, no problems with
RDP, no SyncToy to break, etc.

I suggest you at least consider it, and if you have specific
questions/concerns I'm more than happy to talk on or off list.
John

On 1/31/2011 4:35 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What are you using to sync files between home and office?
>
> Microsoft stopped support of sync in favor of Live Mesh.
>
> Is anyone using Mesh for remote file sharing, syncing two computers
> directly, i.e. not using a website?
>
> VPN is necessary at a minimum, anything else I need to configure pls?
>
> Jay

- --
- -

===================================
 John D. MacDonald
 Information Systems Analyst

 UC Berkeley School of Law - IS&T
 366 Boalt Hall
 510-642-7191
===================================

Re: [Micronet] file sync - home and office (Windows)

Although it was designed for digital images, the (unsupported) SyncToy
might do it.

Though if I have the VPN up I have a file server for work storage. Or I
just remote to an office machine - usually the best option if the
software is special, or the platform is different.

Depends on the data (security), whether I have a network connection (the
mythical cabin in the Sierras), and if I need a copy.

For a single file I can always PGP encrypt it as a mail attachment and
send it to myself.

Then there is always the version control system...

So many choices 8-)

Graham

On 1/31/2011 4:35 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What are you using to sync files between home and office?
>

> Microsoft stopped support of sync in favor of Live Mesh.
>
> Is anyone
> using Mesh for remote file sharing, syncing two computers directly, i.e.
> not using a website?
>
> VPN is necessary at a minimum, anything else I need
> to configure pls?
>
> Jay

Graham Patterson, System Administrator
Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley