[Micronet] google drive - sync app

Joyce Martin

Hi everyone

1.       Does a person HAVE to have google sync downloaded on their computer to use Google Drive?  So far, all the instructions I’ve run across say you need this.  But I’ve read some articles about how the sync process is not so great and has errors.

2.       Also – does anyone have any good video links (short videos!) on getting started with Google drive?  I am specifically looking for how Drive treats Google docs files differently than other files (ie., Office docs).  This issue is totally throwing off people.

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase

Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board

FSITSupport Website

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Re: [Micronet] google drive - sync app

John McChesney-Young
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Joyce MARTIN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1.       Does a person HAVE to have google sync downloaded on their computer
> to use Google Drive?  So far, all the instructions I’ve run across say you
> need this.  But I’ve read some articles about how the sync process is not so
> great and has errors.

No. I use Google Drive all the time and don't have Sync installed on
any of my devices. I upload and download files manually.

> 2.       Also – does anyone have any good video links (short videos!) on
> getting started with Google drive?  I am specifically looking for how Drive
> treats Google docs files differently than other files (ie., Office docs).
> This issue is totally throwing off people.

I don't have a video link off-hand, but perhaps this will be helpful:

Google Drive stores files of any type, some of which can be opened
within the Google Drive's web app for viewing. called Google Drive
Viewer, and some of which can also be opened with Google Drive's web
app for editing, called Google Docs. This can be especially confusing
for anyone who's worked with Google services for longer than, what, a
couple of years? because the whole storage thing used to be called
Google Docs and they only changed it when they expanded its
capabilities to allow for any file type.

Anyway, if you're in a folder, say, My Drive, if you select a file's
checkbox you'll see a new button at the top labeled More. Choose that
and you'll see an Open with... option which will tell you whether you
can open that file with Google Drive Viewer (PDF, DOC and DOCX, RTF,
probably a few others like ODT) or Google Docs or your choice of one
or the other. Files created in Google Drive are natively in the Google
Docs file format and can only be opened in Google Docs, not Google
Drive Viewer, unless you download them in some other file format and
then upload them again for some reason.

Does that help?

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] google drive - sync app

Joyce Martin
Thanks John!