[Micronet] help with IT shared services help ;)

[Micronet] help with IT shared services help ;)

Greg Merritt
I took a quick look at the IT Services shared services help page...

https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/

...and I see three main actions:

1. Service Request
2. Issue
3. Help/Assistance

I feel like I want to click all three:  "Yes!  I'd like to open a Request Service to get Help/Assistance with my Issue!"

Taking it down a level, say my MacBook won't start.  Do I want...

1. Service Request --> MACS --> Single user?
2. Issue --> Hardware --> Laptop?
3. Help/Assistance --> Hardware --> Laptop?

When I click on "Help" int the top right menu, I get a pop-up that proclaims "Not implemented."

I know it's all too easy to be a critic of any interface, but I am truly a little befuddled about how to use this page, as simple as it is.

Re: [Micronet] help with IT shared services help ;)

Graham Patterson
If nothing else, their web site probably just got an unannounced load
test 8-)

'Service request' looks clear enough when it is expanded. 'Issue' is the
odd one.

Graham

On 1/18/13 10:19 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> I took a quick look at the IT Services shared services help page...
>
> https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/
>
> ...and I see three main actions:
>
> 1. Service Request
> 2. Issue
> 3. Help/Assistance
>
> I feel like I want to click all three:  "Yes!  I'd like to open a Request Service to get Help/Assistance with my Issue!"
>
> Taking it down a level, say my MacBook won't start.  Do I want...
>
> 1. Service Request --> MACS --> Single user?
> 2. Issue --> Hardware --> Laptop?
> 3. Help/Assistance --> Hardware --> Laptop?
>
> When I click on "Help" int the top right menu, I get a pop-up that proclaims "Not implemented."
>
> I know it's all too easy to be a critic of any interface, but I am truly a little befuddled about how to use this page, as simple as it is.
>
> -Greg

Re: [Micronet] help with IT shared services help ;)

Calvin Burnes
hi greg,

a service request is a request to install new hardware or software.  an 'issue' is a request for help with a problem.  i am not sure about Help/Assistance.  but since you mac won't boot, you want issue-->hardware-->laptop.  you can also contact them shared services via email or phone:

Or call us at:
664-9000 select 1

Or email us at :
[hidden email]

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Greg Merritt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I took a quick look at the IT Services shared services help page...

https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/

...and I see three main actions:

1. Service Request
2. Issue
3. Help/Assistance

I feel like I want to click all three:  "Yes!  I'd like to open a Request Service to get Help/Assistance with my Issue!"

Taking it down a level, say my MacBook won't start.  Do I want...

1. Service Request --> MACS --> Single user?
2. Issue --> Hardware --> Laptop?
3. Help/Assistance --> Hardware --> Laptop?

When I click on "Help" int the top right menu, I get a pop-up that proclaims "Not implemented."

I know it's all too easy to be a critic of any interface, but I am truly a little befuddled about how to use this page, as simple as it is.

Calvin Burnes
Campus Shared Services IT

Re: [Micronet] help with IT shared services help ;)

Tom Holub
I think Greg's point is that the information architecture is defined by
how the ticketing system categorizes the ticket, not by how users think
about their issues.  If you want users to categorize their tickets, you
have to use labels that make sense to the user population.

On 1/18/13 2:43 PM, Calvin Burnes wrote:

> hi greg,
>
> a service request is a request to install new hardware or software.  an
> 'issue' is a request for help with a problem.  i am not sure about
> Help/Assistance.  but since you mac won't boot, you want
> issue-->hardware-->laptop.  you can also contact them shared services
> via email or phone:
>
> Or call us at:
> 664-9000 select 1
>
> Or email us at :
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Greg Merritt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I took a quick look at the IT Services shared services help page...
>
>     https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/
>
>     ...and I see three main actions:
>
>     1. Service Request
>     2. Issue
>     3. Help/Assistance
>
>     I feel like I want to click all three:  "Yes!  I'd like to open a
>     Request Service to get Help/Assistance with my Issue!"
>
>     Taking it down a level, say my MacBook won't start.  Do I want...
>
>     1. Service Request --> MACS --> Single user?
>     2. Issue --> Hardware --> Laptop?
>     3. Help/Assistance --> Hardware --> Laptop?
>
>     When I click on "Help" int the top right menu, I get a pop-up that
>     proclaims "Not implemented."
>
>     I know it's all too easy to be a critic of any interface, but I am
>     truly a little befuddled about how to use this page, as simple as it is.
>
>     -Greg

>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>     on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>     others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>     known you in the past.
>

> --
> Calvin Burnes
> Campus Shared Services IT

Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Re: [Micronet] help with IT shared services help ;)

Kellsie Munoz
Oh Tom, stop making sense! :)