[Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

[Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Greg Merritt

http://www.dailycal.org/2012/02/07/uc-berkeley-buys-x-rated-domain-names-to-safeguard-reputation/

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Isaac Orr-2
On 2/9/12 8:30 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> http://www.dailycal.org/2012/02/07/uc-berkeley-buys-x-rated-domain-names-to-safeguard-reputation/

Not sure whether to take this question seriously or not :)

But the serious answer is: I would expect not.  Once we own the domain
itself, no one else can create a subdomain within it except us, so the
whole namespace is safeguarded.  If you check out www.berkeley.xxx for
example, you will see that you get a "this domain name has been reserved
from registration" page.

iso

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Isaac Orr-2
To provide further information on this, it appears that reserved domains
provide a return for *.name.xxx, so any subdomain is already
"automatically reserved":

dig does.this.exist.berkeley.xxx
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;does.this.exist.berkeley.xxx. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
does.this.exist.berkeley.xxx. 300 IN A 130.250.4.253
does.this.exist.berkeley.xxx. 300 IN A 130.250.5.253

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
berkeley.xxx. 86164 IN NS nsb1.icmregistry.net.
berkeley.xxx. 86164 IN NS nsb2.icmregistry.net.

iso

On 2/9/12 8:37 AM, Isaac Orr wrote:

> On 2/9/12 8:30 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:
>>
>> http://www.dailycal.org/2012/02/07/uc-berkeley-buys-x-rated-domain-names-to-safeguard-reputation/
>>

> Not sure whether to take this question seriously or not :)
>
> But the serious answer is: I would expect not.  Once we own the domain
> itself, no one else can create a subdomain within it except us, so the
> whole namespace is safeguarded.  If you check out www.berkeley.xxx for
> example, you will see that you get a "this domain name has been reserved
> from registration" page.
>
> iso

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Michael Sinatra-3
This is one of the reasons there is so much heat around ICANN's decision
to open up the TLD market.  At one time it was believed that .xxx was a
good idea (that was about 10 years ago). By the time ICANN finally got
around to it, the situation had sort of reversed itself.  Now it is
widely speculated that only a small percentage, if any, of actual pr0n
sites will actually use .xxx addresses.  The vast majority of
registrations in .xxx will be from major corporations, legitimate
organizations, and other entities that don't want someone else
registering their names in .xxx.

Some people believe they're being effectively extorted by ICANN.  This
is especially understandable if ICANN's proposal to open up the TLD
market goes through.  (Keep in mind that "goes through" means "ICANN
approves its own proposal" in this context--ICANN isn't really
accountable to anyone else.)  Once ICANN realized that they could sell
TLDs for the amazingly low low price of just $185,000, .xxx became
feasible, as did a whole slew of potential other domains.  If the
proposal goes through, there are potentially many other domains that,
say, UCB will have to defensively register.  And, while it's nice that
the Daily Cal thought to treat this as "news," and that the SF Chronicle
even picked it up (when did reporting on articles in the student
newspaper become part of the Chronicle's MO?), the real issue centers
around the cottage industry that ICANN is trying to create.  That's
because Network Solutions and other registrars are trying to cash in on
.xxx and marketing the heck out of the "land rush" that's happening with
.xxx.  We can expect that to happen over and over again.

To be more blunt, the fact that UCB is doing this is neither interesting
nor is it news.  Everyone is doing it.  The fact that an unaccountable
organization (albeit one with a lot of good, talented people) is about
to start forcing campus--and practically everyone else you do business
with--to go through this $1300 thing over and over again, ought to be
interesting to folks.

>> On 2/9/12 8:30 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.dailycal.org/2012/02/07/uc-berkeley-buys-x-rated-domain-names-to-safeguard-reputation/
>>>

>> Not sure whether to take this question seriously or not :)

You shouldn't.  If it were serious, it would have been sent to
hostmaster or OMBO,[1] not Micronet.

michael

[1] Note that it is really OMBO that is driving this process and
Hostmaster is not, to my knowledge, supporting these domains.

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

jsparks
indeed....looks like ucla followed suit.

On 2/9/2012 10:55 AM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> This is one of the reasons there is so much heat around ICANN's decision
> to open up the TLD market.  At one time it was believed that .xxx was a
> good idea (that was about 10 years ago). By the time ICANN finally got
> around to it, the situation had sort of reversed itself.  Now it is
> widely speculated that only a small percentage, if any, of actual pr0n
> sites will actually use .xxx addresses.  The vast majority of
> registrations in .xxx will be from major corporations, legitimate
> organizations, and other entities that don't want someone else
> registering their names in .xxx.
>
> Some people believe they're being effectively extorted by ICANN.  This
> is especially understandable if ICANN's proposal to open up the TLD
> market goes through.  (Keep in mind that "goes through" means "ICANN
> approves its own proposal" in this context--ICANN isn't really
> accountable to anyone else.)  Once ICANN realized that they could sell
> TLDs for the amazingly low low price of just $185,000, .xxx became
> feasible, as did a whole slew of potential other domains.  If the
> proposal goes through, there are potentially many other domains that,
> say, UCB will have to defensively register.  And, while it's nice that
> the Daily Cal thought to treat this as "news," and that the SF Chronicle
> even picked it up (when did reporting on articles in the student
> newspaper become part of the Chronicle's MO?), the real issue centers
> around the cottage industry that ICANN is trying to create.  That's
> because Network Solutions and other registrars are trying to cash in on
> .xxx and marketing the heck out of the "land rush" that's happening with
> .xxx.  We can expect that to happen over and over again.
>
> To be more blunt, the fact that UCB is doing this is neither interesting
> nor is it news.  Everyone is doing it.  The fact that an unaccountable
> organization (albeit one with a lot of good, talented people) is about
> to start forcing campus--and practically everyone else you do business
> with--to go through this $1300 thing over and over again, ought to be
> interesting to folks.

>>> Not sure whether to take this question seriously or not :)
> You shouldn't.  If it were serious, it would have been sent to
> hostmaster or OMBO,[1] not Micronet.
>
> michael
>
> [1] Note that it is really OMBO that is driving this process and
> Hostmaster is not, to my knowledge, supporting these domains.

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Bill Clark
I don't understand this.  Who cares if there's a berkeley.xxx?  I own many
domains of my own.. does UC care to purchase berkeley.whateverdomain.com
from me?  I'll make them a good deal.  Maybe I should register
"isacrappyschool.com" and start extorting subdomain rights from everybody?

I understand that there's a perception among some that TLDs are "more
real" or "more official" somehow, but that's precisely what ICANN is
eroding with its expansion of that space.  If there are suddenly hundreds
or thousands or new TLDs, I really doubt anybody is going to feel
compelled to purchase them for very long, since it'll quickly become
common knowledge that a first-level subdomain of a TLD doesn't mean what
it used to mean.  Given that that's the obvious outcome (which I believe
it is) it just makes sense to ignore these new TLDs from the get-go, since
that will erode their relevance even faster.

I think it'd have been a better move to just let berkeley.xxx be owned by
somebody else, and disavow any connection to it, even to the point of
disparaging their entire xxx TLD.  If the financial incentive created by
the "pre-emptive land-grab" goes away, then maybe ICANN will stop this
stupidity before they pollute the namespace even more.

By purchasing the rights to berkeley.xxx, all we've accomplished is to
legitimize that TLD and encourage further expansion of that space, and
prolong the pain between now and when ICANN has pushed it far enough that
the masses stop treating berkeley.X any differently than they do
berkeley.Y.Z.

-Bill Clark

On 2/9/12 11:27 AM, Bill Clark wrote:
> I don't understand this.

Please read this:

http://www.ana.net/getfile/16602

and this from Esther Dyson (founding chair of ICANN):

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/dyson35/English
http://commerce.senate.gov/public/?a=Files.Serve&File_id=c81ce454-f519-4373-a51d-234c61755e39

> Who cares if there's a berkeley.xxx?  I own many
> domains of my own.. does UC care to purchase berkeley.whateverdomain.com
> from me?  I'll make them a good deal.  Maybe I should register
> "isacrappyschool.com" and start extorting subdomain rights from everybody?

Well, that's not a TLD, so you're not really hitting the point head-on.
 But you're welcome to give it a try.  The new TLD operators appear to
be doing that.  Of course, that also calls the alleged *value* of the
new TLDs into question.

> I understand that there's a perception among some that TLDs are "more
> real" or "more official" somehow, but that's precisely what ICANN is
> eroding with its expansion of that space.

It costs me $10.00 to register a SLD.  It costs me $185,000.00 to
register a TLD.  You're not going to create the same commodity market
with that pricing.

> If there are suddenly hundreds
> or thousands or new TLDs, I really doubt anybody is going to feel
> compelled to purchase them for very long, since it'll quickly become
> common knowledge that a first-level subdomain of a TLD doesn't mean what
> it used to mean.  Given that that's the obvious outcome (which I believe
> it is) it just makes sense to ignore these new TLDs from the get-go, since
> that will erode their relevance even faster.

I don't see how there will *suddenly* be hundreds or thousands of new
TLDs, given the cost of creating new ones.  However, I do see how there
may be dozens.  Your prediction seems off the mark to me, and that's
consequential.

> I think it'd have been a better move to just let berkeley.xxx be owned by
> somebody else, and disavow any connection to it, even to the point of
> disparaging their entire xxx TLD.  If the financial incentive created by
> the "pre-emptive land-grab" goes away, then maybe ICANN will stop this
> stupidity before they pollute the namespace even more.

Trademark law, anyone?

> By purchasing the rights to berkeley.xxx, all we've accomplished is to
> legitimize that TLD and encourage further expansion of that space, and
> prolong the pain between now and when ICANN has pushed it far enough that
> the masses stop treating berkeley.X any differently than they do
> berkeley.Y.Z.

Wrong on all counts.  The campus (and the _many_) other campuses who
have also done this, have asserted their trademark rights.  In doing so
they have also exposed the sham that .xxx is.  And if I follow your
ill-advised linear projection as to what will happen when we have lots
of TLDs, we will then fall under the other major criticism of the ICANN
plan, which is that it will cause mass confusion and brand dilution.

michael

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Michael Sinatra-3
At least UCB isn't doing this:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/02/06/colleges-sell-naming-rights-bathrooms

(It isn't, is it?)

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Devin Jones
"According to Falik, there may be another men’s room opened at the
Berkeley School of Law that will be named after him as well."

from:
http://www.dailycal.org/2012/02/06/mens-room-named-after-uc-berkeley-professor-falik/

On 2/9/2012 1:36 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> At least UCB isn't doing this:
>
> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/02/06/colleges-sell-naming-rights-bathrooms
>
> (It isn't, is it?)

Devin Jones
Manager of Software Development
UC Berkeley School of Law -- Boalt Hall

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

James Kent Dudek
Michael,

No we are not doing that...we are more modest here at UC Berkeley.  Who needs a whole restroom?

From the Men's Faculty Club:

On 2/9/2012 1:51 PM, Devin Jones wrote:
"According to Falik, there may be another men’s room opened at the
Berkeley School of Law that will be named after him as well."

from:
http://www.dailycal.org/2012/02/06/mens-room-named-after-uc-berkeley-professor-falik/

On 2/9/2012 1:36 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:
At least UCB isn't doing this:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/02/06/colleges-sell-naming-rights-bathrooms

(It isn't, is it?)

James Kent Dudek
Strategic Initiatives Manager - Portfolio Management Office
Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT)
2 Hearst Gym
University of California, Berkeley
510.501.3712
AIM:  JamesKentDudek
Skype:  james.kent.dudek

Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT):  sait.berkeley.edu

Business Process Analysis Working Group (BPAWG)

Video archive: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bpawg-at-berkeley
bSpace archive: visit https://bspace.berkeley.edu and look for BPAWG
website: http://stafforg.berkeley.edu/bpawg/

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Greg Merritt
There was a dedicated water fountain in McLaughlin Hall, but I believe that the sign was removed somewhat recently.

-Greg

On Feb 9, 2012, at 1:56 PM, James Kent Dudek wrote:

> Michael,
>
> No we are not doing that...we are more modest here at UC Berkeley.  Who needs a whole restroom?
>
> From the Men's Faculty Club:
>

> <ibfgegjg.jpg>
>
> On 2/9/2012 1:51 PM, Devin Jones wrote:
>> "According to Falik, there may be another men’s room opened at the
>> Berkeley School of Law that will be named after him as well."
>>
>> from:
>>
>> http://www.dailycal.org/2012/02/06/mens-room-named-after-uc-berkeley-professor-falik/
>>

>> On 2/9/2012 1:36 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:
>>
>>> At least UCB isn't doing this:
>>>

>>> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/02/06/colleges-sell-naming-rights-bathrooms
>>>

>>> (It isn't, is it?)

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>

>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>>

> --
> James Kent Dudek
> Strategic Initiatives Manager - Portfolio Management Office
> Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT)
> 2 Hearst Gym
> University of California, Berkeley
> 510.501.3712
> AIM:  JamesKentDudek
> Skype:  james.kent.dudek
>
> Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT):  sait.berkeley.edu
>
> Business Process Analysis Working Group (BPAWG)
>
> Video archive:
> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bpawg-at-berkeley
>
> bSpace archive: visit
> https://bspace.berkeley.edu
>  and look for BPAWG
> website:
> http://stafforg.berkeley.edu/bpawg/

Re: [Micronet] hostmaster -- will department subdomains be available?

Baril
Enough already...... please take this offline.

Thanks,

Roy

On 2/9/2012 1:56 PM, James Kent Dudek wrote:
Michael,

No we are not doing that...we are more modest here at UC Berkeley.  Who needs a whole restroom?

From the Men's Faculty Club:

[...]

Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism