[Micronet] https problems with newly installed windows 7 images

[Micronet] https problems with newly installed windows 7 images

David Spiegelman
Hello,

I’m not sure how even to describe this but this seems to happen every time I install a clean version windows 7 (32 or 64) to a freshly formatted hard drive. After windows launches for the first time, I am asked to create a user account. I then connect using AirBears (although ethernet gives me the same problem). I get a invalid certificate warning when I try to authenticate. I skip the warning and successfully authenticate. Furthermore if I go to www.google.com I get a certificate error. If I go to cnn.com I do not get an error because CNN is http (not https).

In summary, brand new install of windows 7, https = error,  http = no problem

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thank you.

David

p.s. I’m new. This is my fourth week here.
--

David Spiegelman
Faculty Desktop Support - IIT

voice: 510-457-1195
http://ced.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] https problems with newly installed windows 7 images

Graham Patterson

How old is the disk/image master?

IE presumably?

Did the post install patches include certificate updates? They are
sometimes tagged as optional, not important. It sounds like your systems
are not getting updated intermediate (certificate authority) SSL
certificates.

Graham

On 2/21/2014 5:30 PM, David Spiegelman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m not sure how even to describe this but this seems to happen every
> time I install a clean version windows 7 (32 or 64) to a freshly
> formatted hard drive. After windows launches for the first time, I am
> asked to create a user account. I then connect using AirBears (although
> ethernet gives me the same problem). I get a invalid certificate warning
> when I try to authenticate. I skip the warning and successfully
> authenticate. Furthermore if I go to www.google.com
> <http://www.google.com> I get a certificate error. If I go to cnn.com
> <http://cnn.com> I do not get an error because CNN is http (not https).
>
> In summary, brand new install of windows 7, https = error,  http = no
> problem
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem?
>
> Thank you.
>
> David
>
> p.s. I’m new. This is my fourth week here.
> --
>

> David Spiegelman
> Faculty Desktop Support - IIT
> College of Environmental Design
> 485 Wurster Hall, MC 1810
> Berkeley, California 94720
>
> voice: 510-457-1195
> http://ced.berkeley.edu

"...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon,
the mathematical puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] https problems with newly installed windows 7 images

Guy D. VINSON
Are you fully patching and upgrading the install... Anytime I installed Win 7 I would update it with everything I could find until it cried uncle. I always figured more time would be spent on the updates then the install.

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley
510-842-7199

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM, David Spiegelman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Duane P. Straub
Unless you are installing on old, unsupported hardware, why not install the EEI Windows 7 image? You pointed out you are new here, so you may be unaware of the Endpoint Engineering Infrastructure group. They create and routinely update the campus standard Windows and Mac OS images. They are pros. If you could even possibly add all the bells, whistles, and security settings to a clean install of Windows that are standard in the EEI image, it would probably take you at least a day and a half.

Duane

[...]

Duane Straub
Upper Bancroft Support Team Supervisor
Mac Skill Role Lead
510-725-2794
Campus Shared Services IT
To submit a service request, please go to
https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/
or call 664-9000, options 1, 4, 2

Re: [Micronet] https problems with newly installed windows 7 images

Richard DeShong-2
Whoever created the image might have the internet settings going through a proxy.  This would cause the cert error you are seeing.

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Duane P. Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] https problems with newly installed windows 7 images

Lawrence Huntley SWEET
Hi David,

You can get cert. errors like this if there are date/time issues post-image deploy. It's happened to me before. It's easy to forget to check the date/time.

Hopefully the IT folks at Haas will chime in on your issue (hint hint :) as they are pro's at imaging.

Lawrence

Lawrence Sweet
Research Software Engineer
Psychology Dept.
Room 3210, Tolman Hall #1650
Phone: 510-644-9132; Fax: 510-642-5293

On Feb 21, 2014, at 10:12 PM, Timothy P. FAIRCLOTH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You've probably already checked but could your system time/date be off or set to the wrong time zone?  That can cause cert errors.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question. The winning answer was Tim's. I synchronized the time and https is now working. I tried this on two machines and tested https before and after the time synchronization.

David

Re: [Micronet] https problems with newly installed windows 7 images

Timothy P. FAIRCLOTH
Hey David,

That's great, glad I was able to help.

Thanks,