[Micronet] hub.berkeley.edu from iOS

Greg Merritt

I've been flogging the new ResearchHub service (http://hub.berkeley.edu) in the hopes that it can meet the needs of a new, large research project.  As I've started in on the documentation, I've seen some "it's great from mobiles!" and "enhanced smartphone features coming soon" notices, but couldn't find any other clues about accessing the ResearchHub via mobiles other than simply using a mobile browser and accessing the same interface that's presented from a desktop.

Realizing that this is the "Alfresco" product, I did a quick search in the iTunes store and found this:

It seems to work fine for some simple ResearchHub site document management and notifications of recent site changes.  It really does seem most suited toward document management; you can't even view site wiki pages, even if you see a wiki update notice in the update list.  Still need to open a browser for that.

I was able to load a .docx to my device with the app and open it in Pages.  I couldn't see how to send it from Pages back to my ResearchHub site, so I e-mailed it to myself from Pages, viewed in the Mail app, chose open in Alfresco, and then could hit the "+" button on the Alfresco app doc screen for my site and upload the doc.

Note:  strangely you don't enter your connection settings in the app, but in the device settings.  Click on the Alfresco iCon and enter your CalNetID, passphrase, hub.berkeley.edu, and toggle on https.

Re: [Micronet] hub.berkeley.edu from iOS

Ian Crew
Hi Greg:

On Nov 23, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

[...]

Yes, we do need to do a better job of documenting the mobile options for accessing Research Hub.  It's high on the list of to-do items.  As a brief summary:

The apps I've seen so far are indeed pretty document-centric, taking advantage of the WebDAV or CMIS interfaces to Research Hub.  In terms of the other functionality, we've already been pushing Alfresco on rolling more of that into their app.  At this point, the best option for non-document-based stuff is to log in via the web interface, which works fairly well on a tablet (iPad), somewhat less so on a phone (due to the smaller screen).

You've already found the Alfresco app.  There are a few others we've found that also seem to work pretty well:
Fresh Docs (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fresh-docs/id342124495?mt=8, written by the same company that wrote the Alfresco iOS app)

iWork for iOS should also work, though I have to admit I haven't yet tried it personally.  See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4283 for how to connect. The downloads are at:

For these non-Alfresco apps, you'll need to enter the address of either the WebDAV server on Research Hub, which is:
or the CMIS server on Research Hub, which is:
depending on what's required by the app.  In theory, any app that supports either WebDAV or CMIS should work fine--please do share what you discover if you explore more of them.

Note:  strangely you don't enter your connection settings in the app, but in the device settings.  Click on the Alfresco iCon and enter your CalNetID, passphrase, hub.berkeley.edu, and toggle on https.

That's actually pretty typical for iOS apps--and it is Apple's official recommendation to iOS developers.  Whether that's actually a good idea or not is a debate for another thread, I think...

Hope this helps,

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] hub.berkeley.edu from iOS

Greg Merritt
Excellent!  Thanks, Ian.

-Greg

On Nov 23, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Ian Crew wrote:

> Hi Greg:

Re: [Micronet] hub.berkeley.edu from iOS

Hi all:

I've been gently reminded that there are also Android users who would like to connect.  Doh!  Sorry about that!

I know less about this platform, but, for what it's worth:

1) One app that looks pretty good is "ACC ALF Mobile" (https://market.android.com/details?id=alfresco.content.center&hl=en).

2) There is a version of Fresh Docs (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zia.freshdocs).  As I mentioned before, it is written by the company that wrote the "Alfresco" iOS app, so it's quite similar the the official iOS app.

3) Alfresco has said that they are working on (or planning to work on) an official app for Android, but I am not aware of a specific ETA.

As a disclaimer, we're just now experimenting with the Android apps, so we know less about them than the iOS ones at the moment.  We plan to change that over the next few weeks.  Please do share if you find anything useful.

Cheers,

Ian