[Micronet] integrating macs with a Windows Active Directory environment.

[Micronet] integrating macs with a Windows Active Directory environment.

Guy D. VINSON
We are in the process of moving from a Windows/Novell environment to a Windows/Active Directory environment. The PC part of puzzle is coming together with few problem, the part we have not figured out is how to get our Mac users access to our AD file servers. Has any one out there dealt with this and how do gpo's figure in to this if at all.

--

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT

Re: [Micronet] integrating macs with a Windows Active Directory environment.

Graham Patterson

GPOs won't help much for system configuration unless you use a
third-party product.

Out of the box, so to speak, you can do AD logins. If you want a Home
folder link you have to own the user account (in your OU or Domain
context) and set the Home folder path on a per-user account basis. You
won't get Desktop redirection.

Our systems do not preclude signons from non-LHS people, but access to
our resources is controlled via GPO in the usual way - we have a Windows
file server.

I can give you some type examples based on the mac I am using now, if
you like.

Macs can create file names that give Windows systems conniptions. user
training will be essential 8-)

Graham