[Micronet] iphone bmail problem.

Guy D. VINSON
One of the people I support has bmail set up as exchange account on his iphone, It was working correctly but suddenly stopped working. I have experienced this before on other iphones and the creation of a new google key seemed to fix those problems. But before I have them have go to the trouble of reinstalling a new key on all their devices I thought I would poll micronet to see if any one else has experienced this problem and if so did they come up with another solution?

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] iphone bmail problem.

Johnathon P. Kogelman
Generally we configure iOS devices for manual - IMAP configuration instead of the Exchange. Otherwise there is the Google App which has worked fairly week, personal taste if you like GMail interface vs Apple Mail. The only issue with the Google App is it does not appear to work with Departmental Email accounts, you have to use the built-in mail for those accounts.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Guy D. VINSON <[hidden email]> wrote:
One of the people I support has bmail set up as exchange account on his iphone, It was working correctly but suddenly stopped working. I have experienced this before on other iphones and the creation of a new google key seemed to fix those problems. But before I have them have go to the trouble of reinstalling a new key on all their devices I thought I would poll micronet to see if any one else has experienced this problem and if so did they come up with another solution?

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley

Johnathon P. Kogelman
Information Systems
College of Chemistry
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, California 94720-1460
Ph (510) 643-3533, Fax (510) 666-2570
[hidden email]
http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/it/

Re: [Micronet] iphone bmail problem.

Michael Chung

Hey Guy,

What was the problem with departmental accounts and the native Gmail iOS App? My departmental (School of Information) e-mail appears in it (see screenshot below). Also, my understanding is that using Google Sync/ActiveSync was more efficient than the Gmail (IMAP) option for setting up mail in Google. I haven’t had any problems syncing my devices using Google Sync/ActiveSync.

Thanks,

Michael Chung

Systems Administrator

Haas Enterprise Computing & Service Management

[hidden email] | 510-643-3887

Re: [Micronet] iphone bmail problem.

John Fuhs-Sooter

If you are having problems with iPhones configured with Exchange, then I recommend configuring the account as a Gmail Account instead. You can still use the default Mail app. The main disadvantage with this is that it does not sync contacts. To get campus contacts, tap on Add Account, Other, then on Add LDAP Account . Instructions for what to fill in are located at https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=29212.

John Fuhs-Sooter

Lead Technical Coordinator

Campus Shared Services IT

http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu

To submit a request, please go to

https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/

or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

[Micronet] bMail email clients and calmail

Bruce Satow
One issue that I've seen manifest itself since Friday afternoon is that a  few, but not many,  imap email clients stopped working.   When the user tries to log in, it keeps asking for the password.  I just have the user email [hidden email] to resolve it.   I don't exactly know what they do to resolve it, but I am curious to know what the problem is.

I don't know if this is related to the Google crash last Friday, or the 128 bit AES encryption that Google implemented on their cloud storage, but it seems like it started happening after late Friday afternoon.

Another curious issue, a user told me he could no longer read his email on his iPhone.  I thought he was talking about the iPhone email client, but actually he was using the web browser to access Calmail.  Are all Calmail accounts now deactivated and the web interface no longer running?  The funny thing was that he did not even know that we are using Google for our email service.  He didn't even set up his passkey or account to get bMail.  Does anyone know how many campus users still have not set up their campus bMail access (minus students)?

--
  Bruce Satow
  Systems Administrator

  Phone: (510) 643-2348
      Cell: (510) 847-1914

Re: [Micronet] calmail.berkeley.edu

Joyce Martin

The mail lists still exist in calmail.  I give the calmail web address to people who want to manage their email mail lists.

(yes, it’s difficult explaining the why’s and wherefores of this to users)

Joyce

Re: [Micronet] calmail.berkeley.edu

Bernie Rossi
Hi Everyone,

CalMail is still very much alive and contains the mailing lists, redirects and a few accounts that were deemed unable to migrate to bMail.  We are currently in the process of consolidating and cleaning up the system.

When an account was migrated to bMail, all new mail started flowing to bMail and the CalMail account was put into Read Only mode for two months.  This gave users the opportunity to look back at the mailstore.  Once the two months were up, the account was purged from CalMail.  After the purge, anyone going back to the CalMail page and using Roundcube or SquirrelMail would receive the error message that Bruce stated.

Bruce, please have your user contact [hidden email] and they can assist him.

Thanks,

Bernie

On 8/21/13 1:33 PM, Joyce MARTIN wrote:

The mail lists still exist in calmail.  I give the calmail web address to people who want to manage their email mail lists.

(yes, it’s difficult explaining the why’s and wherefores of this to users)

Joyce

Re: [Micronet] iphone bmail problem.

On a possibly related note, my iPod stopped retrieving email for my
Berkeley account around the same time *when I was at home (Comcast)*. It
was working fine with AirBears2 when I was on-site. This is with the
account configured through the Exchange interface.

If this can be replicated (?) it suggests that the Exchange interface
support is now domain and location specific.

Graham

On 8/21/2013 11:21 AM, Guy D. VINSON wrote:

> One of the people I support has bmail set up as exchange account on his
> iphone, It was working correctly but suddenly stopped working. I have
> experienced this before on other iphones and the creation of a new
> google key seemed to fix those problems. But before I have them have go
> to the trouble of reinstalling a new key on all their devices I thought
> I would poll micronet to see if any one else has experienced this
> problem and if so did they come up with another solution?
>
> Guy Vinson
> Infrastructure & IT
> College of Environmental Design
> University of California at Berkeley
> 510-842-7199

"...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon,
the mathematical puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] iphone bmail problem.

Guy D. VINSON
My original problem with the exchange account seems to have been cured by a removal of the account and re-doing, a suggestion from someone on this list.I have personally avoided the whole issue by just using the gmail client available for the iPhone, which is what I have advised others to do. Then there are the people who have to use whatever client is built in as long as it comes from Apple (god I hate Apple Mail)