[Micronet] licenses for terminal server

Roger Emond
If we want to run a Windows terminal server to allow access to
applications not readily affordable for students, what kind of license
and how many (i.e. per server or per user) do we need to buy for Windows
Server, any special terminal server license(s), and what kind of
license(s) for Microsoft Office?  I've gotten different answers that
don't make sense to me, so it would be great to hear from someone who
has actually bought these, so I can tell, rather than ask, the software
vendor. For this exercise, assume a maximum of 10 concurrent users.

Also, is a terminal server an easy way to allow printing from all
laptops without worrying about drivers and operating systems?

  I'll summarize the answers for the list.  Thanks.

Roger Emond

--
Roger Emond
Business/Tech Suppt Analyst 2

Re: [Micronet] licenses for terminal server

Micah Priddy
We run a couple of citrix servers that allow 40 concurrent users to log
on.  You have to buy the Windows server licenses themselves, the
terminal server client access licenses for every concurrent user that
you plan to support, and in our case, we also had to buy all the citrix
licenses.  For MS office, if you plan to allow up to 10 concurrent
users, then you need 10 office licenses if you want to be "compliant".
I'm sure I'm probably missing something, but that's what I know off top
of my head.

Micah Priddy
Analyst, Systems & Support
Cal Alumni Association
UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.643.0237
F 510.642.6252
------------------
Visit alumni.berkeley.edu
------------------

[...]

meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] licenses for terminal server

Micah Priddy
Oh yeah......on printing, yes, it allows you to give the ability to
print without having to worry about drivers......at least in the Citrix
environment.  I don't know if Microsoft has quite gotten this part right
yet.  Someone else may know the answer to that.

Micah Priddy
Analyst, Systems & Support
Cal Alumni Association
UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.643.0237
F 510.642.6252
------------------
Visit alumni.berkeley.edu
------------------

Re: [Micronet] licenses for terminal server

Rune Stromsness
On 01-Dec-10 09:15, Micah Priddy wrote:
> We run a couple of citrix servers that allow 40 concurrent users to log
> on.  You have to buy the Windows server licenses themselves, the
> terminal server client access licenses for every concurrent user that
> you plan to support, and in our case, we also had to buy all the citrix
> licenses.  For MS office, if you plan to allow up to 10 concurrent
> users, then you need 10 office licenses if you want to be "compliant".
> I'm sure I'm probably missing something, but that's what I know off top
> of my head.

This is different from what I'd heard from licensing talks at
conferences and talking to the campus Microsoft rep a few years ago.

When I was researching this as part of a proposal to provide some
terminal services to all of the students in the residence halls we were
basically looking at needing both TS/RDS CAL's and Windows Server CAL's:

TS/RDS CAL licensing in one of the following 3 models:
  * one license per physical device that connected (not concurrently but
at all -- when we asked over what time frame our Microsoft rep told us
the total number of unique devices in any quarter)  A single device CAL
can be used for that device to connect to any number of TS/RDS servers
owned by the same organization.
  * one license per user account who logged into the server (not
concurrent users but total number who had logged in -- again, the
Microsoft rep told us we could count per quarter).  A single user CAL
can be used by that user account to connect to any number of TS/RDS
servers owned by the same organization.
  * an "external connector" license, that allows any number of
"external" users to use that individual terminal server, although it was
a bit unclear if students living in the residence halls could be
"external" users, and we never got a clear answer on what "external"
users were.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-terminal.aspx

appears to be the current MS FAQ on this topic.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/external-connectors.aspx

appears to be the current MS FAQ on external connector TS/RDS licenses.

We never got a clear answer, but our preliminary answers were that MCCA
license based on staff counts did not cover students for TS/RDS CAL's.
We ended up using the costs of external connector licenses in our budget
documents.

Windows Server CAL's had slightly different options -- see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/client-licensing.aspx

Here there was an option of buying CAL's in per-server mode and using
them for concurrent connection licensing, although there were also
options for Per User and Per Device licenses that could be used by that
user or device to access multiple different Windows servers owned by the
same organization (including file servers, print servers, etc.).

Our understanding was also that if we had MCCA CAL's for our staff that
these covered Windows Server CAL's for our student residents, as
Microsoft specifically said that they covered "lab" use.

We never ended up actually implementing the service, partially because
the licensing was so complicated and expensive.

If the whole campus got MCCA coverage for staff and students then I
believe this whole licensing issue could go away...and that the campus
could pay once for the student who could then use terminal servers
provided by any department on campus.

Rune

On Nov 30, 2010, at 3:21 PM, Roger Emond wrote:
> If we want [...] to allow access to applications not readily affordable for students

You might check out KeyServer (http://www.sassafras.com/) for this purpose--this would allow you to legally install the software on the students' computers, but would check out a license each time they wanted to use the software.  It's been a few years since I've used it, but it worked really well back in the day.

Cheers,

Media Vault Program
Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://mvp.berkeley.edu

Outgoing Chair, Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee
http://csac.chance.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] licenses for terminal server

Tholfaqar A. Mardan
dear Micronet members,

I heard from a colleague that there are some old servers to given away, and I am not sure who to contact regarding that, since I am in the process of upgrading my fedora core server, it would be nice if I can get one server and install latest fedora on it, then remove my old server.

many thanks in advance.

Dolf
Tholfaqar A. Mardan,

Programmer Analyst III,

UC Berkeley, ME Dept.,

Computer Mechanics Lab.,

Office Phone: 510 - 642 - 7642

[hidden email]

------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.