[Micronet] looking for an Exabyte (8mm) tape drive

[Micronet] looking for an Exabyte (8mm) tape drive

Gaspard Duchene

  Hi all,

I have some old data on Exabyte (8mm) tapes that I'd like to transfer onto some modern device before all Exabyte drives disappear from the
surface of the Earth (yes I know I should have done this years ago...).
Since the Exabyte drive in my department (Astronomy) is currently unavailable, I was wondering if any of you has such a drive available and whether I could use it for a few hours. Alternatively, if you know of an existing one elsewhere around campus that we can get access to, I'd appreciate any piece of info!

Thanks in advance!

Gaspard Duchene.

--
Gaspard Duchene - Assistant Researcher
Department of Astronomy - 601 Campbell Hall

Re: [Micronet] looking for an Exabyte (8mm) tape drive

Ryan Lovett
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 03:05:44PM -0700, Gaspard Duchene wrote:
> I have some old data on Exabyte (8mm) tapes that I'd like to transfer
> onto some modern device before all Exabyte drives disappear from the
> surface of the Earth (yes I know I should have done this years ago...).
> Since the Exabyte drive in my department (Astronomy) is currently
> unavailable, I was wondering if any of you has such a drive available and
> whether I could use it for a few hours. Alternatively, if you know of an
> existing one elsewhere around campus that we can get access to, I'd
> appreciate any piece of info!

We have two that were on their way to Excess and Salvage. One of them
sounds like it literally has a screw loose but I believe they both worked
last time they were used, however long ago it was. I've rescued them in
case you'd like to borrow or adopt either.

Ryan