[Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

[Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

Phyllis Orrick
Hi all,

At the risk of asking an impossible to answer question, does anyone in Micronet have strong feelings about which of the 3 upgradable elements for macbook airs are most worthwhile?

Processor?
RAM?
Flash memory?

This is the first Mac I've purchased that isn't upgradable later, so I'm a little nervous. It will be supplementing a desktop machine, but that one is already three years old and I'm not sure when I'll be able to buy another, so I'd like to hedge a bit on the overkill side. That said, I don't have the budget for the full upgrade.

I may end up running photoshop and other adobe products on it.

Thanks in advance.

Phyllis

Re: [Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

1) RAM (soldered, not ever upgradable)
2) Processor (also not upgradable, but less of an impact than RAM for most folks)
3) Flash storage (upgradable--see http://macsales.com for example)

Ian

_____________
Sent from my phone. Please excuse the brevity and typos.

On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Phyllis Orrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

At the risk of asking an impossible to answer question, does anyone in Micronet have strong feelings about which of the 3 upgradable elements for macbook airs are most worthwhile?

Processor?
RAM?
Flash memory?

This is the first Mac I've purchased that isn't upgradable later, so I'm a little nervous. It will be supplementing a desktop machine, but that one is already three years old and I'm not sure when I'll be able to buy another, so I'd like to hedge a bit on the overkill side. That said, I don't have the budget for the full upgrade.

I may end up running photoshop and other adobe products on it.

Thanks in advance.

Phyllis

Re: [Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

Baril
I would say the RAM and the SSD Hard drive (flash memory as you call it). The Processor will help in programs that need to do heavy calculations or rendering (ie: video or highend math programs), so if you are not using these, then this comes in third place. If you are planning on using Premiere from adobe, then do not buy the AIR.

Cheers,

Roy
On 9/20/2012 11:48 AM, Phyllis Orrick wrote:
Hi all,

At the risk of asking an impossible to answer question, does anyone in Micronet have strong feelings about which of the 3 upgradable elements for macbook airs are most worthwhile?

Processor?
RAM?
Flash memory?

This is the first Mac I've purchased that isn't upgradable later, so I'm a little nervous. It will be supplementing a desktop machine, but that one is already three years old and I'm not sure when I'll be able to buy another, so I'd like to hedge a bit on the overkill side. That said, I don't have the budget for the full upgrade.

I may end up running photoshop and other adobe products on it.

Thanks in advance.

Phyllis

Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Re: [Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

Guy D. VINSON
If you are set on a AIR then I would upgrade all three to the limit I could afford... Ram first, Processor second, SSD last (since you can always connect external storage) Ram upgrades seem to be the best bang for the buck service improvements.

I would consider this machine if I was planning on using it for day to day routine work, but not heavy lifting photoshop work.
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

--
Phyllis Orrick
Communications Director

http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

Ingrid Berg
Some of you have mentioned heavy lifting processing ie. Photoshop, Premiere work... I'm in the market for an Apple laptop for those specific purposes. I realize I should consider the highest amounts of these three items but what would you recommend for least I can get away with, as budget is tight.

--
ingrid berg

ingrid berg
media designer
uc berkeley school of public health
417.g university hall no.7360
berkeley ca 94720
510.642.9185
[hidden email]
http://sph.berkeley.edu

Support The Campaign for the School of Public Health: http://givetocal.berkeley.edu/publichealth

Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/berkeleyhealth

Re: [Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

Guy D. VINSON
I would consider one of the macbook pros... the ones being replaced by the retina screen one, you can pick them up still at a good price. Their ram can be upgraded after market which can save you money, as can the Hard drive. I would get one with the fastest processor for that line, upgrade the ram after market, a relatively easy upgrade and use a decent larger monitor and keyboard if you are going to be doing a lot of graphics work.

The new retina screen MacBook Pros are not upgradeable, the battery can't even be replace without jumping through major hoops (flaming ones at that)
---

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Ingrid Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Some of you have mentioned heavy lifting processing ie. Photoshop, Premiere work... I'm in the market for an Apple laptop for those specific purposes. I realize I should consider the highest amounts of these three items but what would you recommend for least I can get away with, as budget is tight.

--

ingrid berg
media designer
uc berkeley school of public health
417.g university hall no.7360
berkeley ca 94720
[hidden email]
http://sph.berkeley.edu

Support The Campaign for the School of Public Health: http://givetocal.berkeley.edu/publichealth

Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/berkeleyhealth

Re: [Micronet] macbook air - processor/ram/flash memory

Finsen Chiu
I would also suggest looking into Apple's Refurbished products.  They come with the standard 1-year Apple warranty, and carry an even deeper discount than the educational discount.

Finsen
Finsen Chiu
DECF Systems Administrator
1109B Etcheverry
Hours: http://www.decf.berkeley.edu/labasst.html
DECF: http://www.decf.berkeley.edu
DECF Status: http://decf-status.blogspot.com/

On 09/20/2012 12:28 PM, guy vinson wrote:
[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:510.642.9185" value="+15106429185" target="_blank">510.642.9185