[Micronet] migration to bConnected AKA Google Apps ?

[Micronet] migration to bConnected AKA Google Apps ?

Roger Emond

Hello Micronetters,

My understanding of the bMail migration is that

  1. No offline files will be migrated
  2. Users will be encouraged to use the web client only

  1. Would people share their plans to deal with users who have mail archived in Outlook .pst files and nowhere else? Even, if we chose to support local mail clients, once our unit goes to shared services support, that will not be our decision.

  1. Has anyone used the Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook or the now unsupported Google Email Uploader with Outlook? If so, how did it go? What does one use when Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook asks for a password? Leaving it blank does not re-direct to CalNet Authentication.

  1. How do you plan to move contact lists (aka groups of contacts, not individuals) from the local client to bMail?

Thanks in advance!

Roger Emond

--

Roger Emond

Business/Tech Suppt Analyst 2

School of Social Welfare

Pocket of Excellence

University of California

120 Haviland Hall #7400

Berkeley CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] migration to bConnected AKA Google Apps ?

Tom Holub
On 11/6/12 1:47 PM, Roger Emond wrote:

> Hello Micronetters,
>

> My understanding of the bMail migration is that
>
>  1. No offline files will be migrated
>  2. Users will be encouraged to use the web client only
>

>  1. Would people share their plans to deal with users who have mail archived
>     in Outlook .pst files and nowhere else? Even, if we chose to support local
>     mail clients, once our unit goes to shared services support, that will not
>     be our decision.

Move them to bMail via IMAP, or delete them.  (One of those is probably a good
idea anyway).

>  2. Has anyone used the Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook or the now
>     unsupported Google Email Uploader with Outlook? If so, how did it go? What
>     does one use when Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook asks for a
>     password? Leaving it blank does not re-direct to CalNet Authentication.

This would presumably be your Google Key; all access to Google Apps not
through the web interface uses your Google Key for authentication.

>  3. How do you plan to move contact lists (aka groups of contacts, not
>     individuals) from the local client to bMail?

Depends on the local client, but almost any of them can export to CSV or vCard
format, which you can then import into Google Contacts.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] migration to bConnected AKA Google Apps ?

Bruce Satow
Interesting.  I've got our local email server, Calmail, Calmail hosted server (when we tried migrating to Calmail), and bMail configured on Thunderbird.

Since Calmail is migrating to bMail, using Thunderbird I've test transferring an email folder with attachments over to bMail, from our local email server.

Under the top level bMail server entry there is the Inbox and a Gmail folder and that seems to be the default location of all the other email folders.  I was able to move an email folder at the same level as the inbox.  Why aren't the trash, saved, sent, spam, etc. all at the same level as the inbox and not under a subfolder called Gmail?  Was it done this way for the eventual migration from Calmail to Gmail?

On 11/6/2012 1:52 PM, Tom Holub wrote:
[...]

University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

On 11/6/12 3:41 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> Interesting.  I've got our local email server, Calmail, Calmail hosted server
> (when we tried migrating to Calmail), and bMail configured on Thunderbird.
>
> Since Calmail is migrating to bMail, using Thunderbird I've test transferring
> an email folder with attachments over to bMail, from our local email server.
>
> Under the top level bMail server entry there is the Inbox and a Gmail folder
> and that seems to be the default location of all the other email folders.  I
> was able to move an email folder at the same level as the inbox.  Why aren't
> the trash, saved, sent, spam, etc. all at the same level as the inbox and not
> under a subfolder called Gmail?  Was it done this way for the eventual
> migration from Calmail to Gmail?

That's the way Google accounts always appear to Thunderbird.  (Create yourself
a non-berkeley.edu Gmail account and you'll see the same thing).  Note that
Gmail doesn't really have folders, it has "labels" (tags).  Thunderbird
displays those "Gmail" things as sub-folders, but they're really just labels
which are reserved for Gmail.  They don't appear as sub-folders in the web
interface.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Re: [Micronet] migration to bConnected AKA Google Apps ?

Noah N Bacon
Howdy,

For Outlook .PST files, contacts / address books, etc. its actually preferable to use Google's Migration Tool (available at

I've encountered two or three users who were frustrated with the CSV route because their contacts nearly always came out as gibberish when imported into bMail (and editing the files themselves is a mixed bag, even when using a template). For Thunderbird, I'm under the impression that it exports to a much more gMail friendly form (at least the style of the CSV appears easier for Google to parse).

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Tom Holub <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/6/12 1:47 PM, Roger Emond wrote:
> Hello Micronetters,
>

> My understanding of the bMail migration is that
>
>  1. No offline files will be migrated
>  2. Users will be encouraged to use the web client only
>

>  1. Would people share their plans to deal with users who have mail archived
>     in Outlook .pst files and nowhere else? Even, if we chose to support local
>     mail clients, once our unit goes to shared services support, that will not
>     be our decision.

Move them to bMail via IMAP, or delete them.  (One of those is probably a good
idea anyway).

>  2. Has anyone used the Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook or the now
>     unsupported Google Email Uploader with Outlook? If so, how did it go? What
>     does one use when Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook asks for a
>     password? Leaving it blank does not re-direct to CalNet Authentication.

This would presumably be your Google Key; all access to Google Apps not
through the web interface uses your Google Key for authentication.

>  3. How do you plan to move contact lists (aka groups of contacts, not
>     individuals) from the local client to bMail?

Depends on the local client, but almost any of them can export to CSV or vCard
format, which you can then import into Google Contacts.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Noah Bacon
Application Support Center
University of California, Berkeley
Ph: (510) 664-4610

Re: [Micronet] migration to bConnected AKA Google Apps ?

Mike Friedman
On 2012-11-06 15:46, Tom Holub wrote:

That's the way Google accounts always appear to Thunderbird.  (Create yourself
a non-berkeley.edu Gmail account and you'll see the same thing).  Note that
Gmail doesn't really have folders, it has "labels" (tags).  Thunderbird
displays those "Gmail" things as sub-folders, but they're really just labels
which are reserved for Gmail.  They don't appear as sub-folders in the web
interface.

OK, this might be as good a time and place as any for me to ask the following question about bMail:

Although my mail hasn't yet been migrated, my bMail account is active.  So, I've configured my iPhone and Thunderbird clients for bMail.  On my iPhone, I configured two bMail accounts, using the "Exchange" configuration and also the "GMail" configuration.  What I've found is that the folder layout (based on Google "labels", as Tom points out) is different in all three cases.  Also, on my iPhone, the GMail config lets me define more attributes, such as (under "Advanced") specifying where my "Drafts" and "Deleted" mailbox should be located (on the server, or on my phone).  The "Exchange" config doesn't allow this kind of "tuning".  (My iPhone CalMail account lets me specify where "Drafts", "Sent" and "Deleted" should be located).

The Thunderbird folder layout for bMail is the most complete (more "folders").  On my iPhone, I like the extra settings provided by the GMail config.  Yet, the UC KB article on configuring the iPhone seems to recommend using the "Exchange" config.

Currently, with CalMail, I see the same folders in my iPhone as in Thunderbird.  In fact, a while back I defined and deleted folders on CalMail and the change immediately showed up on my iPhone.  I'd like to settle into one iPhone account for bMail and it would be nice if it presented the same folder interface as my Thunderbird account.

Could someone comment on all this?  I suppose once I have actual mail in my mailboxes, I'll be able to see how the different accounts really behave (e.g., for moving mail from one mailbox to another).

Thanks.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman