[Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

[Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

Greg Merritt

Our Windows users can mount their Calshare space ("ccit") like this:

net use * \\calshare.berkeley.edu\@ssl@443\sites\ccit

A colleague indicated connecting similarly with a Linux machine.  (I
don't have the specifics at the moment.)

Is there a way to mount the volume on an OSX machine?  I tried a
couple of quick & dirty smb://... combinations, but it didn't seem to
fly.  Is mount_webdav...

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/10.5/man8/mount_webdav.8.html?useVersion=10.5

...more of the way to go?  I gave that a try, too, but it just
silently terminates without error when I attempt to connect.

Thanks!

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

Greg Merritt
Hmmm, so close!  Thanks, Tony.

Yeah, when I try it via connect to server in the finder in 10.5 and
10.6, I go through a CalNet auth and then get a blank volume mounted.
When I try to copy even the simplest *text* file, it first creates a
*folder* of the same name, and then, in the same operation, complains
that something of the same name already exists in that destination.
Whether I choose "stop" or "replace" it just ends up looking blank.

Curiously, I can put anything I want after ...berkeley.edu/ and I go
through the auth and appear to mount a blank volume.

Maybe it is a question of specifying the path in just the right way?

-Greg

On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Anthony Roybal wrote:

> Greg,
>
> This looks promising:
>
> http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4321513
>
> When I try
>
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/@ssl@443/sites/ccit
>
> I seem to connect correctly, although the folder is empty.
>
> Regards,
> Tony

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

John D. MacDonald
I just tried (from the Finder on 10.6.4)

Go > Connect to Server... > https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/law-ist/

I authenticate with Calnet, the folder mounts and all files are
visible...I can browse, open, etc.  However, trying to copy (via drag
and drop) a file into a calshare directory does not work...

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “” can’t be
read or written.
(Error code -36)

However, touch, cp, vi, etc all work fine from Terminal.

I seem to recall this being related to file locking...sharepoint not
implementing it, or not in true webDAV fashion...or maybe Apple's Finder
is to blame?  Wouldn't be the first time.

Hope this helps...
John

On 8/27/10 12:20 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> Hmmm, so close!  Thanks, Tony.
>
> Yeah, when I try it via connect to server in the finder in 10.5 and
> 10.6, I go through a CalNet auth and then get a blank volume mounted.
> When I try to copy even the simplest *text* file, it first creates a
> *folder* of the same name, and then, in the same operation, complains
> that something of the same name already exists in that destination.
> Whether I choose "stop" or "replace" it just ends up looking blank.
>
> Curiously, I can put anything I want after ...berkeley.edu/ and I go
> through the auth and appear to mount a blank volume.
>
> Maybe it is a question of specifying the path in just the right way?
>
> -Greg
>

> On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Anthony Roybal wrote:
>
>> Greg,
>>
>> This looks promising:
>>
>> http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4321513
>>
>> When I try
>>
>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/@ssl@443/sites/ccit
>>
>> I seem to connect correctly, although the folder is empty.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tony

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

Michael LEEFERS
Greg,

I will need to get my hands on mac to do some testing.  A year or two ago we did open a support ticket with Microsoft and had another group open one up with Apple.  Both companies pointed the finger at the other and said they would do nothing.  We were able to get webdav working with a linux box (red hat I think) at that time.  At some point we did have webdav working a bit on a mac, and I think it was an upgrade on the mac os side that got it partially working.  We still had issues if the file or library  had a space in the name.

Once I do get a mac I will try this with our new Sharepoint 2010 test environment also to see if it works there.

I have also responded to your footprints ticket to request some additional information.  Once I have that and a mac I can look into this some more.

Michael

Yeah, when I try it via connect to server in the finder in 10.5 and
10.6, I go through a CalNet auth and then get a blank volume mounted.
When I try to copy even the simplest *text* file, it first creates a
*folder* of the same name, and then, in the same operation, complains
that something of the same name already exists in that destination.
Whether I choose "stop" or "replace" it just ends up looking blank.

Curiously, I can put anything I want after ...berkeley.edu/ and I go through the auth and appear to mount a blank volume.

Maybe it is a question of specifying the path in just the right way?

-Greg

On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Anthony Roybal wrote:

> Greg,
>
> This looks promising:
>
> http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4321513
>
> When I try
>
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/@ssl@443/sites/ccit
>
> I seem to connect correctly, although the folder is empty.
>
> Regards,
> Tony

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

Greg Merritt
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response.  (I also had some off-list info from Aron and
Tony about some of the support ticket activity from a couple of years
ago.)

I could probably get you a loaner Mac to use for a couple of weeks.
OS would probably be 10.5.  Would that be helpful?

Thanks!
-Greg

On Sep 2, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Michael James LEEFERS wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I will need to get my hands on mac to do some testing.  A year or
> two ago we did open a support ticket with Microsoft and had another
> group open one up with Apple.  Both companies pointed the finger at
> the other and said they would do nothing.  We were able to get
> webdav working with a linux box (red hat I think) at that time.  At
> some point we did have webdav working a bit on a mac, and I think it
> was an upgrade on the mac os side that got it partially working.  We
> still had issues if the file or library  had a space in the name.
>
> Once I do get a mac I will try this with our new Sharepoint 2010
> test environment also to see if it works there.
>
> I have also responded to your footprints ticket to request some
> additional information.  Once I have that and a mac I can look into
> this some more.
>
> Michael

Thanks for the offer.  That would be great!  I am not sure what version OSX 10.5 or 10.6 partial solved the issue but to would be great to run some test on 10.5 against the current SharePoint 2007 and SharePoint 2010 environments.

Michael

Thanks for the response.  (I also had some off-list info from Aron and Tony about some of the support ticket activity from a couple of years
ago.)

I could probably get you a loaner Mac to use for a couple of weeks.
OS would probably be 10.5.  Would that be helpful?

Thanks!
-Greg

On Sep 2, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Michael James LEEFERS wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I will need to get my hands on mac to do some testing.  A year or two
> ago we did open a support ticket with Microsoft and had another group
> open one up with Apple.  Both companies pointed the finger at the
> other and said they would do nothing.  We were able to get webdav
> working with a linux box (red hat I think) at that time.  At some
> point we did have webdav working a bit on a mac, and I think it was an
> upgrade on the mac os side that got it partially working.  We still
> had issues if the file or library  had a space in the name.
>
> Once I do get a mac I will try this with our new Sharepoint 2010 test
> environment also to see if it works there.
>
> I have also responded to your footprints ticket to request some
> additional information.  Once I have that and a mac I can look into
> this some more.
>
> Michael

Well, Macs will happily create file and folder names with leading and
trailing spaces and trailing periods on Windows servers. With
potentially nasty side effects.

If you need a third-party tester, my Mac normally just mounts a Windows
server (2003), but it is also configured to do AD logins as well as use
a local account. It's a 10.6 system.

Graham

On 9/2/10 3:03 PM, Michael James LEEFERS wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I will need to get my hands on mac to do some testing.  A year or two ago we did open a support ticket with Microsoft and had another group open one up with Apple.  Both companies pointed the finger at the other and said they would do nothing.  We were able to get webdav working with a linux box (red hat I think) at that time.  At some point we did have webdav working a bit on a mac, and I think it was an upgrade on the mac os side that got it partially working.  We still had issues if the file or library  had a space in the name.
>
> Once I do get a mac I will try this with our new Sharepoint 2010 test environment also to see if it works there.
>
> I have also responded to your footprints ticket to request some additional information.  Once I have that and a mac I can look into this some more.
>
> Michael

"...past the Tyranosaurus, the Mastodon, the mathematical puzzles, and
the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

tedcrum
I find it fascinating that the problem the OP was having (fail-out
when trying to create folders, then a message that they already
exist) is exactly what I experienced mounting bspace from WinXP.

I mounted bspace using the demo version of WebDrive and was able to
create the folders, which could then be populated by the other users
directly from XP.

Making WebDAV work seems to low on everyone's to-do list.

-tc

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

Greg Merritt
Whoa!  A user just showed me that the following works fine from
Go...Connect to Server:

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/ccit

(CCIT is our CalShare site.)

Works great for me.

What changed?  I'm not complaining, but I sure am curious!

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

Michael LEEFERS
Greg,

Unfortunately nothing has changed :-(

We had been able to connect via Go...Connect to server, however when trying to upload a file an error is returned, the file gets upload as a zero KB file.

If you are able to upload a file successfully please let me know.

Michael

Re: [Micronet] mounting CalShare space directly in OSX?

Greg Merritt
> If you are able to upload a file successfully please let me know.
>
> Michael

Darn it -- I totally jumped the gun.

A user swore up & down yesterday that he successfully reads from & writes
to CalShare via file mounts on both Win & Mac.  As I was running between
meetings, he "demonstrated" by creating a folder on the share on his Mac.

Folder creation seems to work, but, after a closer look, files cannot
actually be written.

Sorry for the false alarm... :(