[Micronet] new Mac OS -- Mavericks question

[Micronet] new Mac OS -- Mavericks question

Caryl Miller
Hi all,

I am consistently prompted to update my Mac OS to Mavericks.  Is there a campus policy/practice/recommendation on what Mac users should do?  Any personal experience/advice to share regarding Mavericks?  I currently have a MacBook Air with OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

Thanks so much.

Best,

Caryl

--
Caryl J. Miller
Communications Manager

Office: 510-664-7095
Mobile: 415-378-3841

Reimagine Your World:  We include and excel, together.  We imagine and innovate.  We simplify.  We are accountable to each other.  We focus on service.

These are the UC Berkeley Operating Principles and we strive to work by them.

Re: [Micronet] new Mac OS -- Mavericks question

paul rivers

Hi Caryl,

>From a policy standpoint, the requirement is devices must only run
software for which security patches are made available in a timely
fashion to address identified vulnerabilities. (Of course, the patches
must also be applied in a timely manner!)

Part of the relevant policy (well, technically a standard) text is here
in requirement 1:

https://security.berkeley.edu/mssnd

For major operating systems, this is more or less equivalent to saying
the OS must still be supported by the vendor. I believe Mountain Lion
still is, though it's likely to drop off the support list when the next
version of OS X after Mavericks is released. Hopefully someone better
versed in Apple and OS support issues in general will chime in here. (If
I say Ben Gross's name three times, will he magically appear in the thread?)

The above standard applies to any device connected to the campus
network. However, this same standard is extended by another standard to
also cover any device which stores, processes or transmits institutional
data beyond essentially public data. This is regardless of where the
device is located, who is operating the device, or who in fact owns the
device. That standard text is here:

https://security.berkeley.edu/mssei

The extension is item 17.1.  Scoping in this standard is more complex
than in the first as this standard must address the differing levels of
criticality and different device types used for potentially complex
systems with lots of different moving parts with different levels of
risk. If you have any questions about that, feel free to contact me or
the IT Policy Manager, Lisa Ho ([hidden email]).

Regards,
Paul

On 05/21/2014 07:45 PM, Caryl Miller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am consistently prompted to update my Mac OS to Mavericks.  Is there a
> campus policy/practice/recommendation on what Mac users should do?  Any
> personal experience/advice to share regarding Mavericks?  I currently have
> a MacBook Air with OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Best,
>
> Caryl

Re: [Micronet] new Mac OS -- Mavericks question

Ben Gross
Hi Caryl,

In almost all cases as long as your hardware supports Mavericks, I recommend running Mavericks/10.9 over Mountain Lion/10.8. You should see some better battery life and Mavericks has more built in security protections such as better sandboxing for Safari plugins.

Apple publicly released Mavericks last October and it is now on its third point release 10.9.3. The OS is generally considered stable and they have largely resolved the issues people had with Apple Mail and Gmail in the first releases of Mavericks.

Apple - OS X Mavericks - New apps, new features, new technologies.

Thank you,
Ben Gross

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Caryl Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Johnathon P. Kogelman
As I recall 10.8.x should be supported for about two more years, assuming 10.10 is announced next month. While Mac OS X 10.9 is the latest and greatest, there have seem some very odd issues with Mavericks. I have a few users that are suffering the "fail to wake from sleep" errors and just random computer freeze over night. These issues are happening on fairly new hardware, with both default Apple builds and complete fresh Mac OS X installations.

[...]

Information Systems
College of Chemistry
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, California 94720-1460
Ph (510) 643-3533, Fax (510) 666-2570
[hidden email]
http://chemistry.berkeley.edu/it/

Re: [Micronet] new Mac OS -- Mavericks question

Ben Gross
Hi Caryl,

Opinions may vary, but  all modern OS upgrades involve tradeoffs. By definition there are going to be changes. Some of them will add features, some of them will fix existing bugs, some of them will alter behavior that you have grown to rely on, and often there are new bugs.

This all said, aside from being a early adopter right when an OS comes out, you are almost always going to be better off overall running a current release than an old release in terms of security and support from the vendor. On campus you are going to receive the most support for the default Gmail web client.

As a follow up here is more detail on the previous Mavericks Mail issue with Gmail

TidBITS: Mail Improvements in OS X 10.9.2

Thank you,
Ben

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Caryl Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stephen H. Grettenberg
Caryl Miller,

Many, but not all of the problems experienced by people moving to Mavericks can be avoided, or repaired going into the "Recovery Mode".  This requires no CD/DVD drive.  You start up holding down the Command & R keys on a Mac, until the apple shows up on screen.  This allows you to go into the disk utility and repair disks and permissions.  Ideally it should be done before and after a Mavericks upgrade for it to be stable.

As for gmail, in my personal experience, it was stable in all browsers prior to my Mavericks upgrade, but runs better in gmail in Mavericks.

Stephen Grettenberg
Academic Achievement Programs