[Micronet] numpy/scipy/matplotlib/ipython on RHEL5

[Micronet] numpy/scipy/matplotlib/ipython on RHEL5

David Johnson-2
Does anyone have a list of compatible packages for getting
numpy+scipy+matplotlib+ipython up on RHEL5 (or CentOS5, I guess)?  I
seem to have the non-gui end of it working but it crashes when I try
and plot something.  My current list, based on random googling, is:

 fftw3-3.2.2-3.el5.i386.rpm
 fftw3-devel-3.2.2-3.el5.i386.rpm
 ipython-0.8.4-1.el5.noarch.rpm
 numpy-1.2.1-2.el5.i386.rpm
 python-dateutil-1.2-1.el5.rf.noarch.rpm
 python-matplotlib-0.91.2-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
 python-nose-0.11.3-2.el5.noarch.rpm
 python-setuptools-0.6c7-1.el5.rf.noarch.rpm
 python-tz-2006p-1.el5.rf.noarch.rpm
 scipy-0.6.0-6.el5.i386.rpm
 suitesparse-3.1.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
 suitesparse-devel-3.1.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
 blas-3.0-37.el5.i386.rpm
 blas-devel-3.0-37.el5.i386.rpm
 lapack-3.0-37.el5.i386.rpm
 lapack-devel-3.0-37.el5.i386.rpm
 atlas-sse2-devel-3.8.3-1.el5.i386.rpm
 atlas-sse2-3.8.3-1.el5.i386.rpm

Thanks a lot,

David.

--
David Johnson, [hidden email], (510) 666-2983
System Manager, International Computer Science Institute

Re: [Micronet] numpy/scipy/matplotlib/ipython on RHEL5

Kevin Sweeney-2
On 19:51 Thu 04 Nov     , David Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone have a list of compatible packages for getting
> numpy+scipy+matplotlib+ipython up on RHEL5 (or CentOS5, I guess)?  I
> seem to have the non-gui end of it working but it crashes when I try
> and plot something.  My current list, based on random googling, is:

EPEL [1] has these, just add the repository and run

yum install sympy scipy python-matplotlib ipython

If you don't want to use third-party repositories in general you can
then remove the epel-release package and grab the cached packages for
deployment some other way (though the EPEL repository is generally much
better about staying current and stable and has a policy of not adding
packages that conflict with the ones provided by RedHat/CentOS, which
isn't always the case with other ones like rpmforge).

Hope this helps.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

--
Kevin Sweeney
Senior Unix Systems Administrator

Re: [Micronet] numpy/scipy/matplotlib/ipython on RHEL5

Jon Forrest
numpy/scipy is one of the hardest things I've
come across to build from source.

Anyway, there is hope because, if the
contents of the RHEL6 Beta are reliable,
numpy comes pre-installed with Python.

Jon

    Kevin> On 19:51 Thu 04 Nov , David Johnson wrote:
    >> Does anyone have a list of compatible packages for getting
    >> numpy+scipy+matplotlib+ipython up on RHEL5 (or CentOS5, I
    >> guess)?  I seem to have the non-gui end of it working but it
    >> crashes when I try and plot something.  My current list, based
    >> on random googling, is:

    Kevin> EPEL [1] has these, just add the repository and run

    Kevin> yum install sympy scipy python-matplotlib ipython

    Kevin> If you don't want to use third-party repositories in
    Kevin> general you can then remove the epel-release package and
    Kevin> grab the cached packages for deployment some other way
    Kevin> (though the EPEL repository is generally much better about
    Kevin> staying current and stable and has a policy of not adding
    Kevin> packages that conflict with the ones provided by
    Kevin> RedHat/CentOS, which isn't always the case with other ones
    Kevin> like rpmforge).

Thanks - using the EPEL stuff consistently (instead of
mixing-and-matching EPEL and rpmforge, as I did before) seemed to
work, at least on our 32 bit machines.

David.

    Kevin> Hope this helps.

    Kevin> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

    Kevin> -- Kevin Sweeney Senior Unix Systems Administrator Network
    Kevin> and Infrastructure Services, RSSP-IT UC Berkeley