[Micronet] odd mail

tedcrum
I just received a "commercial message" to the address
[hidden email] . It came with a Berkeley "square bracket and
X's" spam rating.

So I tried sending myself email to that address and it arrived,
whether sent from bMail or my Yahoo account.

It looks like I have a bonus address for entering contests.

-Ted Crum
Psychology

Re: [Micronet] odd mail

John McChesney-Young
I think all bMail accounts have not just one, but two extra addresses.
If you go to Settings->Accounts->Change account settings->Google
Account settings you'll probably find something like this:

<username>@berkeley.edu
Alternate email addresses
<username>@gtest.berkeley.edu
<username>@g.berkeley.edu

***

I've seen this on the few accounts I've checked; it caused one of our
faculty members some confusion. An interesting artifact of the
change-over, eh?

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] odd mail

tedcrum
Makes one wonder how my "g.berkeley" address got on a bulk mailing
list already.

-tc

At 11:04 AM 4/29/2013, John McChesney-Young wrote:
>I think all bMail accounts have not just one, but two extra addresses.
>If you go to Settings->Accounts->Change account settings->Google
>Account settings you'll probably find something like this:
>
><username>@berkeley.edu
>Alternate email addresses
><username>@gtest.berkeley.edu
><username>@g.berkeley.edu

[...]

>John
>

>--
>John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
>History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
>U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
>[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] odd mail

Jon Broshious-2
It's not an artifact. It's for email routing. You should try to avoid
using it, or spreading it around. It will double your spam without
doubling your fun when it's gets into the wild. The alt IDs can be
picked up by spammers that mine email headers. And by mail servers
unintentionally. Unfortunately, some people are sending out those
alternate addresses as aliases to use.

Jon

On 4/29/2013 11:18 AM, Ted Crum wrote:

> Makes one wonder how my "g.berkeley" address got on a bulk mailing
> list already.
>
> -tc
>
> At 11:04 AM 4/29/2013, John McChesney-Young wrote:
>> I think all bMail accounts have not just one, but two extra addresses.
>> If you go to Settings->Accounts->Change account settings->Google
>> Account settings you'll probably find something like this:
>>
>> <username>@berkeley.edu
>> Alternate email addresses
>> <username>@gtest.berkeley.edu
>> <username>@g.berkeley.edu
>>
> [...]
>
>> John
>>

>> --
>> John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
>> History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
>> U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
>> [hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Jon Broshious
Information Services and Technology
Campus Technology Services

Re: [Micronet] odd mail

tedcrum
I'd never used my "g.berkeley" address (didn't know it existed), and
it immediately got on a spam list anyway.

Can these "alternate" email addresses be managed?

-tc