[Micronet] online photo site?

Nancy Lin
Hi

Is there a campus sanctioned service provider for sharing photos? I'm
unhappy w/ what comes w/ my CMS and it seems so easy to just upload to
either flickr, picasa, etc.  But I'm wondering if there is some copyright
or legal reasons why I shouldn't do that.

--
thanks
nancy

Please Note New Number: 510-473-7291

Re: [Micronet] online photo site?

Ian Crew
Hi Nancy:

Check out the Research <a href="Hub--http://hub.berkeley.edu">Hub--http://hub.berkeley.edu.  It offers 10GB free to each person on campus, and tt does some nice things with image previews, galleries, metadata, etc.  Please contact us at [hidden email] if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Ian

On Jan 10, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Nancy Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

Is there a campus sanctioned service provider for sharing photos? I'm
unhappy w/ what comes w/ my CMS and it seems so easy to just upload to
either flickr, picasa, etc.  But I'm wondering if there is some copyright
or legal reasons why I shouldn't do that.

--
thanks
nancy

Please Note New Number: 510-473-7291

___

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] online photo site?

Ryan Lovett-2
Do you know if there are any plans to enable Google Plus (which includes
photo album features and an API) to the campus' apps domain?

Ryan

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 03:11:03PM -0800, Ian Crew wrote:

> Hi Nancy:
>
> Check out the Research Hub--http://hub.berkeley.edu.  It offers 10GB free to each person on campus, and tt does some nice things with image previews, galleries, metadata, etc.  Please contact us at [hidden email] if you have any questions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
>
> On Jan 10, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Nancy Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Is there a campus sanctioned service provider for sharing photos? I'm
> > unhappy w/ what comes w/ my CMS and it seems so easy to just upload to
> > either flickr, picasa, etc.  But I'm wondering if there is some copyright
> > or legal reasons why I shouldn't do that.
> >
> > --
> > thanks
> > nancy
> >
> > Please Note New Number: 510-473-7291

> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>
> ___
> Ian Crew
> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> http://hub.berkeley.edu
>
> Content Management Technologies
> IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
> Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
> University of California, Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] online photo site?

Scot Hacker

On Jan 10, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Nancy Lin wrote:

> Is there a campus sanctioned service provider for sharing photos? I'm
> unhappy w/ what comes w/ my CMS and it seems so easy to just upload to
> either flickr, picasa, etc.  But I'm wondering if there is some copyright
> or legal reasons why I shouldn't do that.

Check out http://gallery.berkeley.edu/ - there was a very good webnet presentation on this service a couple months ago by the Office of Public Affairs. The system supports several levels of access, from private to public to group-limited.

./s

__________________________
Scot Hacker
Senior Software Developer @ CalCentral
Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley

__________________________

Re: [Micronet] online photo site?

Patrick McGrath
Hi Ryan - that would be great huh?

Unfortunately, plus, Picasa et al. aren't covered as core offerings in our apps agreement with google. This has the implications of - if we were to activate their use - not being covered with the protections, privacy, etc.  we have for mail, drive, etc. In turn, this means that documents that may be protected under our agreement, would not be if delivered thru plus.

 We are trying to figure this out further with google, but don't intend activating plus at least until the issues are resolved with them. I don't see this happening soon, but who knows.

Hope that helps.

Patrick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Ryan Lovett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you know if there are any plans to enable Google Plus (which includes
> photo album features and an API) to the campus' apps domain?
>
> Ryan
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 03:11:03PM -0800, Ian Crew wrote:
>> Hi Nancy:
>>
>> Check out the Research Hub--http://hub.berkeley.edu.  It offers 10GB free to each person on campus, and tt does some nice things with image previews, galleries, metadata, etc.  Please contact us at [hidden email] if you have any questions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Nancy Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is there a campus sanctioned service provider for sharing photos? I'm
>>> unhappy w/ what comes w/ my CMS and it seems so easy to just upload to
>>> either flickr, picasa, etc.  But I'm wondering if there is some copyright
>>> or legal reasons why I shouldn't do that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> thanks
>>> nancy
>>>
>>> Please Note New Number: 510-473-7291

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>
>> ___
>> Ian Crew
>> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
>> http://hub.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Content Management Technologies
>> IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
>> Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
>> University of California, Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] online photo site?

Patrick McGrath
That might work, but if you need public sharing, you could also try box.

Patrick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:11 PM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tom Holub
On 1/10/13 2:55 PM, Nancy Lin wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a campus sanctioned service provider for sharing photos? I'm
> unhappy w/ what comes w/ my CMS and it seems so easy to just upload to
> either flickr, picasa, etc.  But I'm wondering if there is some copyright
> or legal reasons why I shouldn't do that.

For images that you want to present to the public, both Google and Flickr have
reasonable terms and conditions in terms of intellectual property and usage.
Flickr, in particular, defaults to presenting an "All Rights Reserved" notice
on each photo page, and allows you to set a variety of Creative Commons
licenses if you are so inclined.  Neither Google nor Flickr assert any rights
to the content you put in their systems (unlike FaceBook and Instagram, which
can sub-license your images for commercial purposes).

Flickr's API is more mature and tends to have better integration with web site
tools than Picasa/G+, but it depends what you want to do with it and what your
CMS tools are.  With WordPress, you can just paste the Flickr photo URL into a
post and it will automatically be embedded; Picasa usually requires a plug-in,
or pasting of the HTML embed code.  Check what your CMS integrates with.
Unfortunately I don't think either of them has a non-Flash slide show that can
be embedded.  (You can do it with something like NexGen Gallery but you have
to manually paste every image URL).

Both Google and Picasa support tagging, sets, and other organization mechanisms.

I don't think any of the campus options are good solutions for public
presentation of images.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] online photo site?

Nancy Lin
Thanks Tom!  I will try flickr then.

yes.  these are public images.  They currently sits on our web server.
I've tried box research hub.  The interface is very complicated for me
(plus setup) if all I want to do is just upload pics, display them in
slideshow format, allow them to be downloaded etc.

If we have picasa link to our google offerings, it'll make it easier in
terms of account maintenance.  This way we don't have to create separate
accounts for this purpose.

On 1/10/13 6:35 PM, Tom Holub wrote:

> On 1/10/13 2:55 PM, Nancy Lin wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there a campus sanctioned service provider for sharing photos? I'm
>> unhappy w/ what comes w/ my CMS and it seems so easy to just upload to
>> either flickr, picasa, etc.  But I'm wondering if there is some copyright
>> or legal reasons why I shouldn't do that.
> For images that you want to present to the public, both Google and Flickr have
> reasonable terms and conditions in terms of intellectual property and usage.
> Flickr, in particular, defaults to presenting an "All Rights Reserved" notice
> on each photo page, and allows you to set a variety of Creative Commons
> licenses if you are so inclined.  Neither Google nor Flickr assert any rights
> to the content you put in their systems (unlike FaceBook and Instagram, which
> can sub-license your images for commercial purposes).
>
> Flickr's API is more mature and tends to have better integration with web site
> tools than Picasa/G+, but it depends what you want to do with it and what your
> CMS tools are.  With WordPress, you can just paste the Flickr photo URL into a
> post and it will automatically be embedded; Picasa usually requires a plug-in,
> or pasting of the HTML embed code.  Check what your CMS integrates with.
> Unfortunately I don't think either of them has a non-Flash slide show that can
> be embedded.  (You can do it with something like NexGen Gallery but you have
> to manually paste every image URL).
>
> Both Google and Picasa support tagging, sets, and other organization mechanisms.
>
> I don't think any of the campus options are good solutions for public
> presentation of images.

Re: [Micronet] online photo site?

Ryan Lovett-2
Thanks for the detailed explanation Patrick! I hope it works out in the end.

Ryan