[Micronet] pagecenter plugin install problem

[Micronet] pagecenter plugin install problem

William Doyle
Good Day,

Apologies if this is a little sketchy, I rarely encounter this situation.

Printing and saving docs in the payroll reporting system requires
installation of a plugin, downloadable through the Pagecenter webpage.

I have repeatedly downloaded and attempted to install the plugin with no
success in either IE or Mozilla.

The UCB online documentation offers instructions for installing in
Netscape and I just happen to have a C@B 2002 CD laying around, so maybe
that's the way to go......

But seriously, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has dealt with
this recently.

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
I-House

Re: [Micronet] pagecenter plugin install problem

Adam Grimaldi
Good morning,

CSS-IT can assist you with this process, if you like. Also, here is the documentation we have, internally, which may help, if you want:

Summary

PageCenter is accessed here

It is used by financial analysts, for payroll reporting from UCOP mainframe data.

The plugins are necessary for customers to print reports.

Please see this page for Controller's installation instructions on Mac and Windows platforms : http://controller.berkeley.edu/pagecenter-reporting-tool

To report problems, ie if Host Printing is not working, Please contact UCOP IT Service desk at 510 987 0457       or            [hidden email]    or    http://itservicehub.ucop.edu

Installation

Windows

Installers can be either found in the EEI Software share or they can be downloaded from within the application : (this requires that a customer be logged in with access to PageCenter)

Click on Preferences menu option

Select the Browse tab

Click on the Install AFP plugin & Install Print plugin links to download

Installation Checklist:

  • Download plugins
  • Browser must be closed when installing the plugins
  • Administrative rights are required when installing the plugins
  • Plugins folder must exist in C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ , if not create one

Installing the plugins

Run afpplg12.exe as administrator and click Next
Accept the EULA and click Next

The installation folder default is “C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PCWAINST”.

Accept this folder or use the browse button to select another folder.

These are only the installer files. Not the plugins

Click on Browse button

Navigate to your newly created C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\Plugins directory

Click OK

Click OK

Click OK on the Plugin Install confirmation window

Repeat installation process with the LRS Web Access plugin;

Run prtplg20.exe as administrator

Windows Notes:

Internet Explorer:
  • PageCenter is currently known to work best under compatibility mode.
  • All versions of IE should be supported.
  • After installing, users should be made aware of this and trained on how to use compatibility mode in IE, if necessary.
    • For IE10: Berkeley.edu must be added to the Compatibility View (from what I can tell second level domains such as mvs-pprt01.berkeley.edu must be added via Group Policy) rather than using the F12 Developer Tools>Browser Mode settings.
  • If client wants to save reports locally (ie to desktop), they need to add the pagecenter website (https://mvs-pprt01.berkeley.edu) to the list of Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-zones-adding-removing-websites#1TC=windows-7 for info on how to add a site to the Trusted Sites list in Internet Explorer.
Chrome:

Though the vendor said he was able to get it to work in Chrome, we were not able to in our (1304-05 image) environment. I was able to get as far as the print dialog but somehow none of the devices actually receive the print job after you click 'OK' which puzzled the vendor as much as it did me.

Firefox:

Plugin installation location c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\plugins (need to verify this)

Troubleshooting Tips

I've had some problems fixed by a simple browser cache flush

I hope that helps. Sorry for the massive email. Please feel free to contact CSS-IT for further assistance too.

Adam Grimaldi
CSS-IT Zone 5 Team Lead
Business/Tech Support Analyst 3
[hidden email] (Best way to reach me)
Cell: 1 (510) 612-9036 (Okay way to reach me)
Office: 1 (510) 664-7290 (I am rarely in my office - keep that in mind)

Ticket Request Options:
1. https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/
2. Call 664-9000, option 1, then option 4
3. Email [hidden email]