[Micronet] parts no longer available from Oracle/Sun

[Micronet] parts no longer available from Oracle/Sun

David Johnson-2
As periodically happens, one of my old SunFire V240 servers lost a CPU
fan.  I tried to do what I have historically done in this sort of
situation - go to the Sun parts store and drop $200 on a $20 CPU
cooler that's guaranteed compatible and has a Sun part number.  Only I
couldn't - you can't get this part from the Oracle/Sun store any more.
Nor can you get it if you talk to anyone at Sun.  Apparently Oracle
doesn't sell repair parts any more - if you want a repair part, you
have to have a contract on that equipment and you can do
time-and-materials for repairs not otherwise covered.

Based on this, and several other recent experiences (e.g. stuff that
they've dropped from their product line and the emphasis of their
sales team), my personal view is that Oracle/Sun is no longer a
systems company.  It's trying to be an appliance company, like EMC or
NetApp - no doubt being attracted by the bigger margins and lucrative
support contracts.  My feeling is that, when building systems for
research on a limited budget, it's often necessary to buy the
components (servers, storage, networking, software) and assemble them
yourself to form the complete system.  It seems to me that now the
only tier one companies that can provide the full range of components
are Dell, HP and IBM.  Oracle/Sun has some interesting technology if
you've got the money, but they are nothing like the old Sun that we
relied on for so many years.

And for folks who have old Sun systems that they maintain themselves -
either start collecting used parts or get a contract!

David.

--
David Johnson, [hidden email], (510) 666-2983
System Manager, International Computer Science Institute

Re: [Micronet] parts no longer available from Oracle/Sun

Jon Forrest
On 6/21/2010 1:24 PM, David Johnson wrote:

> And for folks who have old Sun systems that they maintain themselves -
> either start collecting used parts or get a contract!

Or check eBay or use Google to look up the Sun
part number. I've had good luck doing that.

Jon