[Micronet] password protected usb drive, possibly with encryption

[Micronet] password protected usb drive, possibly with encryption

Claudia A. WATERS

Hello all,

Does anyone have recommendations for easy-to-use password protection for usb drives? What about easy to use encryption?  We have tried the programs that come with SAN disks and are testing Truecrypt.

Any other suggestions.  She uses a PC and needs an easy-to-use program.

Thanks in advance.

Claudia

Claudia Waters, MA, MPH

Lecturer, Computing Manager

School of Social Welfare

University of California, Berkeley

Berkeley, California

Office: 510-643-6668

Re: [Micronet] password protected usb drive, possibly with encryption

Micah Priddy

We use these http://www.corsair.com/usb-drives/padlock.html

They’re pretty easy to use.

Re: [Micronet] password protected usb drive, possibly with encryption

Kevin Burney

I feel that TrueCrypt is the most flexible and secure solution available.  You can use either file based or device based encryption. (Either a single file that can be mounted as a drive or a complete physical device can be made available as a drive letter as well.  Plus it is a cross platform solution for both Mac and PC.

The one thing it does not do well is allow for multiple concurrent access to the secure data.

-Kevin

Re: [Micronet] password protected usb drive, possibly with encryption

Guy D. VINSON
If by chance she is using Windows 7 enterprise or ultimate then she could use the bitlocker which is built in to encrypt the USB drive. I have used this feature and it works pretty well, prompting for a password when you plug it into another machine, Windows 7 or not.

Other than that Truecrypt is hard to beat if a bit less user friendly to set up.
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Claudia Waters <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all,

Does anyone have recommendations for easy-to-use password protection for usb drives? What about easy to use encryption?  We have tried the programs that come with SAN disks and are testing Truecrypt.

Any other suggestions.  She uses a PC and needs an easy-to-use program.

Thanks in advance.

Claudia

Claudia Waters, MA, MPH

Lecturer, Computing Manager

School of Social Welfare

University of California, Berkeley

Berkeley, California

Office: <a href="tel:510-643-6668" value="+15106436668" target="_blank">510-643-6668

Re: [Micronet] password protected usb drive, possibly with encryption

I don't have any experience with it, but http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=58 might work well....no software to install or understand...

Ian

On May 4, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Claudia Waters wrote:

Hello all,
Does anyone have recommendations for easy-to-use password protection for usb drives? What about easy to use encryption?  We have tried the programs that come with SAN disks and are testing Truecrypt.

Any other suggestions.  She uses a PC and needs an easy-to-use program.

Thanks in advance.

Claudia

Claudia Waters, MA, MPH
Lecturer, Computing Manager
School of Social Welfare
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, California
Office: 510-643-6668

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] password protected usb drive, possibly with encryption

Claudia A. WATERS

Thanks everyone for responding.  We did try Truecrypt, but one needs to be admin to install the drivers—this could limit our researcher’s ability to access while travelling.

I will suggest the Flash Padlock since I see it uses AES like Truecrypt.  They are quite expensive, but the ease of use may be worth it.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Claudia