[Micronet] policies for copyright compliance by non-campus laptops on Cal Internet connections

[Micronet] policies for copyright compliance by non-campus laptops on Cal Internet connections

Phyllis Orrick
Hi everyone,

As a middle-size research unit, we have a lot of undergrad and grad students working on their personal laptops on research projects. This requires that they have access to our file-sharing server, usually through airbears. We have taken steps to protect any private or confidential data on our servers, but we would like to make sure our users are aware of U.S. copyright requirements regarding downloads, etc.

We have a constantly shifting population of users who have varying degrees of awareness of these requires. We were hoping that we could educate our students by having them read and sign a form of some sort spelling out the rules of the game in terms of downloads of copyrighted material via UC Internet connections. I did find a wealth of links to *policies* about all this, but could not find any simple statement/consent form.

I am sure I have overlooked something very obvious, so apologies in advance for this pesky post, but Micronet always seems to come through on these matter. Any guidance would be most welcome.

Regards,

Phyllis Orrick

Phyllis Orrick
Communications and Outreach Manager
SafeTREC
University of California, Berkeley
2614 Dwight Way #7374
Berkeley, CA 94720-7374
Fax: 510-643-9922
Voice: 510-643-1779
Cell: 510-374-8107

Re: [Micronet] policies for copyright compliance by non-campus laptops on Cal Internet connections

Lucy Greco
hello:
are you  storing copy  written documents on the file shairs. if you are
you should have the lib take  care of them not your department. other
Wise i think the  students should already have agreed to this in the
student conduct  agreement. If students download on there own laptops
using the campus network i think the   rules are quite clear about that
the campus won't protect them or defend them. however i don't understand
why your wanting to do this in regard to your servers. what could they be
downloading that ins copy written. for a statement i know the lib hired a
new   legal  counsel  this  year just for that kind of think maybe she has
some thing for you if you want her name write me off list. I have to find
it

> Hi everyone,
>
> As a middle-size research unit, we have a lot of undergrad and grad
> students working on their personal laptops on research projects. This
> requires that they have access to our file-sharing server, usually through
> airbears. We have taken steps to protect any private or confidential data
> on our servers, but we would like to make sure our users are aware of U.S.
> copyright requirements regarding downloads, etc.
>
> We have a constantly shifting population of users who have varying degrees
> of awareness of these requires. We were hoping that we could educate our
> students by having them read and sign a form of some sort spelling out the
> rules of the game in terms of downloads of copyrighted material via UC
> Internet connections. I did find a wealth of links to *policies* about all
> this, but could not find any simple statement/consent form.
>
> I am sure I have overlooked something very obvious, so apologies in
> advance for this pesky post, but Micronet always seems to come through on
> these matter. Any guidance would be most welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phyllis Orrick
>
> Phyllis Orrick
> Communications and Outreach Manager
> SafeTREC
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2614 Dwight Way #7374
> Berkeley, CA 94720-7374
> [hidden email]
> www.safetrec.berkeley.edu
> Fax: 510-643-9922
> Voice: 510-643-1779
> Cell: 510-374-8107

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] policies for copyright compliance by non-campus laptops on Cal Internet connections

Karen Eft
Phyllis,
Everyone who uses campus computing resources already had to agree to comply
with policies that require "compliance with copyright laws", i.e. the
Berkeley Campus Computer Use Policy and the University of California
Electronic Communications Policy (ECP).  Details from these two policies are
copied in below.*
For specific guidance re the particular types of files you are concerned
about, Julie Conners is the new campus attorney to contact.

BTW, for publicity information related to illegal sharing of online
entertainment (music, movies, etc.) files, the residential computing folks
have put together an excellent web presence, starting with their website
"STAY CONNECTED", which has a paragraph about "Filesharing" that also points
to some more detailed pages.

Karen Eft
Campus IT Policy Manager, DMCA Agent, & ECP Coordinator
Office of the CIO: Security, Privacy and Policy
-----
* The campus "Computer Use Policy" says: "Reproduction or distribution of
copyrighted works, including, but not limited to, images, text, or software,
without permission of the owner is an infringement of U.S. Copyright Law and
is subject to civil damages and criminal penalties including fines and
imprisonment."  Also, under "Examples of Misuse" in that policy it says:
"Violating terms of applicable software licensing agreements or copyright
laws."  (You can contact "[hidden email]" to get copies of a paper
brochure printout of the Computer Use Policy or it's online at
http://technology.berkeley.edu/policy/usepolicy.html.)

The UC ECP includes the following:
(section III.D.10:)
"Intellectual Property. The contents of all electronic communications shall
conform to laws and University policies regarding protection of intellectual
property, including laws and policies regarding copyright, patents, and
trademarks. When the content and distribution of an electronic communication
would exceed fair use as defined by the federal Copyright Act of 1976, users
of University electronic communications resources shall secure appropriate
permission to distribute protected material in any form, including text,
photographic images, audio, video, graphic illustrations, and computer
software."
(section III.E:)
"In compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the University
reserves the right to suspend or terminate use of University electronic
communications systems and services by any user who repeatedly violates
copyright law."

are you  storing copy  written documents on the file shairs. if you are
you should have the lib take  care of them not your department. other
Wise i think the  students should already have agreed to this in the
student conduct  agreement. If students download on there own laptops
using the campus network i think the   rules are quite clear about that
the campus won't protect them or defend them. however i don't understand
why your wanting to do this in regard to your servers. what could they be
downloading that ins copy written. for a statement i know the lib hired a
new   legal  counsel  this  year just for that kind of think maybe she has
some thing for you if you want her name write me off list. I have to find
it

> Hi everyone,
>
> As a middle-size research unit, we have a lot of undergrad and grad
> students working on their personal laptops on research projects. This
> requires that they have access to our file-sharing server, usually through
> airbears. We have taken steps to protect any private or confidential data
> on our servers, but we would like to make sure our users are aware of U.S.
> copyright requirements regarding downloads, etc.
>
> We have a constantly shifting population of users who have varying degrees
> of awareness of these requires. We were hoping that we could educate our
> students by having them read and sign a form of some sort spelling out the
> rules of the game in terms of downloads of copyrighted material via UC
> Internet connections. I did find a wealth of links to *policies* about all
> this, but could not find any simple statement/consent form.
>
> I am sure I have overlooked something very obvious, so apologies in
> advance for this pesky post, but Micronet always seems to come through on
> these matter. Any guidance would be most welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phyllis Orrick
>
> Phyllis Orrick
> Communications and Outreach Manager
> SafeTREC
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2614 Dwight Way #7374
> Berkeley, CA 94720-7374
> [hidden email]
> www.safetrec.berkeley.edu
> Fax: 510-643-9922
> Voice: 510-643-1779
> Cell: 510-374-8107

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.