[Micronet] pre-2007 canon scanner drivers

[Micronet] pre-2007 canon scanner drivers

Phyllis Orrick

Hi all,

Has anyone found free Mac drivers for older (pre-2007) canon scanners? The current ones from Canon don't work on pre-2007 machines. We've found one commercial product (VueScan), but it isn't cost effective, compared to what a (presumably) fully supported new one would cost. The cpus available to run it range from an intel Macbook OS 6.8 to a G4 tower, so if you know of something older, we should be able to use it.

Yours in the fight against planned obsolescence...

Phyllis

P.S. if there is no solution, economical scanner recommendations are welcome, too.

--
Phyllis Orrick
Communications Director

Re: [Micronet] pre-2007 canon scanner drivers

Ryan Lovett
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:24:37AM -0700, Phyllis Orrick wrote:

> Has anyone found free Mac drivers for older (pre-2007) canon scanners? The
> current ones from Canon don't work on pre-2007 machines. We've found one
> commercial product (VueScan), but it isn't cost effective, compared to what
> a (presumably) fully supported new one would cost. The cpus available to run
> it range from an intel Macbook OS 6.8 to a G4 tower, so if you know of
> something older, we should be able to use it.
>
> Yours in the fight against planned obsolescence...
>
> Phyllis
>
> P.S. if there is no solution, economical scanner recommendations are
> welcome, too.

Someone ported the SANE project's free open source drivers to the Mac:

  http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/

We were able to utilize someone's cast off scanners this way using
Apple's "Image Capture" application.

Ryan

Re: [Micronet] pre-2007 canon scanner drivers

Dan Bluestein
Have you checked if your scanner is supported by SANE (Scanner Access
Now Easy)? If it is, you can probably get that to work on your G4,
though it may cost you more in set-up time than it would cost to get a
new scanner that "just works."

Also we probably still have the CD that came with a Canon LIDE-30. If
your scanner needs the same driver as that one, I can try to track down
the disk and see if it has old Mac drivers on it. Let me know if that'll
be useful for you.

Dan Bluestein
Lawrence Hall of Science

On 8/18/2011 10:24 AM, Phyllis Orrick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone found free Mac drivers for older (pre-2007) canon scanners?
> The current ones from Canon don't work on pre-2007 machines. We've found
> one commercial product (VueScan), but it isn't cost effective, compared
> to what a (presumably) fully supported new one would cost. The cpus
> available to run it range from an intel Macbook OS 6.8 to a G4 tower, so
> if you know of something older, we should be able to use it.
>
> Yours in the fight against planned obsolescence...
>
> Phyllis
>
> P.S. if there is no solution, economical scanner recommendations are
> welcome, too.
>

> --
> Phyllis Orrick
> Communications Director
> Safe Transportation Research and Education Center
> <http://www.safetrec.berkeley.edu> (SafeTREC)
> University of California Transportation Center <http://www.uctc.net> (UCTC)
> Institute for Urban and Regional Development
> <http://www.iurd.berkeley.edu> (IURD)
> 2614 Dwight Way
> UC Berkeley
> Berkeley CA 94720-7374
> 510-643-1779
> @transsafe <https://twitter.com/#!/transsafe>
> @californiaUTC <https://twitter.com/#!/CaliforniaUTC>
> @IURDBerkeley <https://twitter.com/#!/IURDBerkeley>

Re: [Micronet] pre-2007 canon scanner drivers

Some of the suggestions at http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/scanners/index.html might also be useful....I don't know much about  this sort of thing, just stumbled across that page earlier today.

Cheers,

Ian

On Aug 18, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Phyllis Orrick wrote:

[...]

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] pre-2007 canon scanner drivers

Phyllis Orrick
Ian thanks.

This is a great site for Mac users.

Phyllis