[Micronet] "In-house" ads on UCB websites?

[Micronet] "In-house" ads on UCB websites?

Bill Clark
During a discussion of website development, some members of our team
jokingly suggested that we could run web ads on our public-facing websites
(on a recharge basis) for things like Cal Performances, Football season
tickets, the student store, etc. -- but then we started wondering if that
might actually be allowed by policy.  I'm not saying it's necessarily a
good idea, but I was curious as to whether it was technically allowed or
not, and if anybody else had considered the same idea (or even actually
tried it in the past?)

-Bill Clark

Re: [Micronet] "In-house" ads on UCB websites?

Scot Hacker
On Aug 2, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Bill Clark wrote:

> During a discussion of website development, some members of our team
> jokingly suggested that we could run web ads on our public-facing websites
> (on a recharge basis) for things like Cal Performances, Football season
> tickets, the student store, etc. -- but then we started wondering if that
> might actually be allowed by policy.  I'm not saying it's necessarily a
> good idea, but I was curious as to whether it was technically allowed or
> not, and if anybody else had considered the same idea (or even actually
> tried it in the past?)
>
> -Bill Clark

The last I heard on this was that it's OK for any non-berkeley.edu sites you host, but verboten for berkeley.edu sites. We now run ads on some of our student publishing sites, such as

http://missionlocal.org/
http://oaklandnorth.net/
http://richmondconfidential.org/

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...