[Micronet] "common good" billing

Greg Merritt
Does anyone have any word on which CoA string Account field value will be used for "common good" IT billing that we're expecting to hit over the next year or two?

We like this "free"(-feeling) software that's been presented to us recently, but, when the bills come due, my unit will have to deal with research contracts that are super-sensitive to spending categories.  We don't have any "19900" money to throw at things like this.  The sooner we can know how these charges will look and happen, the sooner we might be able to plan for them in future contracts.

Re: [Micronet] "common good" billing

David Alan WILLSON

Greg,

With the caveat that I am not involved in this OE project, my understanding is that development of a common good funding model is part of the work being undertaken by the OE Financial Management team.

In communications from you to Micronet over the last couple of days I have seen what appears to me to be an aversion to funding these sorts of things via both research funds (excerpt below)and 19900 funds.  I am curious what source of funding you might propose to fund the types of things that most of us use.

Regards,

David Willson, C.P.M., CFA

Manager, Strategic Technology Acquisition

Office of the Chief Information Officer

Does anyone have any word on which CoA string Account field value will be used for "common good" IT billing that we're expecting to hit over the next year or two?

We like this "free"(-feeling) software that's been presented to us recently, but, when the bills come due, my unit will have to deal with research contracts that are super-sensitive to spending categories.  We don't have any "19900" money to throw at things like this.  The sooner we can know how these charges will look and happen, the sooner we might be able to plan for them in future contracts.

Re: [Micronet] "common good" billing

Burke Bundy
Hi Greg,

I believe a similar question was posed recently at a Micronet meeting.
The response from an IST official was (I'm paraphrasing) that it seems
reasonable to conclude that at least some of the monies for these "common
good" initiatives will come from funds currently allocated to staff FTE.

Burke

> Does anyone have any word on which CoA string Account field value will be
> used for "common good" IT billing that we're expecting to hit over the
> next year or two?
>
> We like this "free"(-feeling) software that's been presented to us
> recently, but, when the bills come due, my unit will have to deal with
> research contracts that are super-sensitive to spending categories.  We
> don't have any "19900" money to throw at things like this.  The sooner we
> can know how these charges will look and happen, the sooner we might be
> able to plan for them in future contracts.
>
> Thanks,
> -Greg

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] "common good" billing

Greg Merritt
<base href="x-msg://1334/">Hi David,

Sorry, I may have been unclear.

We don't have an aversion to spending 19900 funds.  We simply do not have any whatsoever.  If somebody would like to give us some, we'd be happy to spend it on common good items. ;)

We don't have an aversion to spending our research funds toward these (otherwise-excellent) common-good items, but our state funders do.  In many cases every individual charge is approved or denied item-by-item, including things like $20 toward bottled water under supplies...which is nothing compared to the issues that arise when such funders see charges such as "overhead" or "IT" or "rent" since they feel that they should be either pre-covered by the University or lumped into the pre-negotiated "overhead" (under whatever label) shown in the contract.

So, it's not that we're averse to spending money we don't have or aren't permitted to spend, it's just that, er, we either don't have it or would breach contract if we tried to spend it in these ways.

There are gift funds and small pools of unrestricted funding, but they are few, far between, and already stretched thin.

I think you will now see the problem:  despite being funded, we may not have any money that is allowed to be spent on such "common good" charges.  In the given environment, how the bill is presented is a hyper-sensitive issue.  Sure, we do make software and network purchase already, but they are very, very piecemeal, more get-them-when-you-can sorts of things, rather than lump-sum billings for the entire unit.

David, what would be your recommendation in our case?  How will we pay for such things if we *literally* have no money that can be spent on them...even if we want to pay for them?  If the answer is to re-negotiate contracts, you'll have to give us a couple of extra years, lawyer time, and an awful lot of luck.

-Greg

On Dec 16, 2011, at 10:42 AM, David Willson wrote:

[...]

Elise Woods
Who can give us a draft of the plan?  Those of us who manage budgets need to
get a head start on budgeting for these expenses in our operations so that
we don't get blindsided by it midyear.  I've seen nothing thus far.   Is it
still the FTE model proposed for the network funding model that was proposed
prior?

Thanks, Elise

I believe a similar question was posed recently at a Micronet meeting.
The response from an IST official was (I'm paraphrasing) that it seems
reasonable to conclude that at least some of the monies for these "common
good" initiatives will come from funds currently allocated to staff FTE.

Burke

> Does anyone have any word on which CoA string Account field value will be
> used for "common good" IT billing that we're expecting to hit over the
> next year or two?
>
> We like this "free"(-feeling) software that's been presented to us
> recently, but, when the bills come due, my unit will have to deal with
> research contracts that are super-sensitive to spending categories.  We
> don't have any "19900" money to throw at things like this.  The sooner we
> can know how these charges will look and happen, the sooner we might be
> able to plan for them in future contracts.
>
> Thanks,
> -Greg

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] "common good" billing

Greg Merritt
Whose FTE?

That is, for a research unit like mine with no central funding, will the elimination of an IST FTE pay for our Office, Adobe, and MATLAB?  That ain't gonna happen.

We have precious few IT staff in our unit at the moment as it is, and they're funded via external monies, so it's also silly to imagine that we'll evaporate an FTE (when it's already covered and we're stretched thin) to pay for some licensing, even if the very-restricted funding were to permit it.

Seems like a zero-sum thing.

-Greg

On Dec 16, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Burke Bundy wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> I believe a similar question was posed recently at a Micronet meeting.
> The response from an IST official was (I'm paraphrasing) that it seems
> reasonable to conclude that at least some of the monies for these "common
> good" initiatives will come from funds currently allocated to staff FTE.
>
> Burke
>

>> Does anyone have any word on which CoA string Account field value will be
>> used for "common good" IT billing that we're expecting to hit over the
>> next year or two?
>>
>> We like this "free"(-feeling) software that's been presented to us
>> recently, but, when the bills come due, my unit will have to deal with
>> research contracts that are super-sensitive to spending categories.  We
>> don't have any "19900" money to throw at things like this.  The sooner we
>> can know how these charges will look and happen, the sooner we might be
>> able to plan for them in future contracts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Greg

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] "common good" billing

Burke Bundy
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I believe the implication was that as the campus moves toward a "Shared
Services" model and eliminate staff FTE as part of the implementation some
of those monies once spent on staff FTE will be available to spend on
site-licensed software, among other "common good" initiatives, presumably.
 The campus will have more money to spend on the "common good" because
they will be funding fewer staff positions.

Burke

> Whose FTE?
>
> That is, for a research unit like mine with no central funding, will the
> elimination of an IST FTE pay for our Office, Adobe, and MATLAB?  That
> ain't gonna happen.
>
> We have precious few IT staff in our unit at the moment as it is, and
> they're funded via external monies, so it's also silly to imagine that
> we'll evaporate an FTE (when it's already covered and we're stretched
> thin) to pay for some licensing, even if the very-restricted funding were
> to permit it.
>
> Seems like a zero-sum thing.
>
> -Greg
>

> On Dec 16, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Burke Bundy wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I believe a similar question was posed recently at a Micronet meeting.
>> The response from an IST official was (I'm paraphrasing) that it seems
>> reasonable to conclude that at least some of the monies for these
>> "common
>> good" initiatives will come from funds currently allocated to staff FTE.
>>
>> Burke
>>

>>> Does anyone have any word on which CoA string Account field value will
>>> be
>>> used for "common good" IT billing that we're expecting to hit over the
>>> next year or two?
>>>
>>> We like this "free"(-feeling) software that's been presented to us
>>> recently, but, when the bills come due, my unit will have to deal with
>>> research contracts that are super-sensitive to spending categories.  We
>>> don't have any "19900" money to throw at things like this.  The sooner
>>> we
>>> can know how these charges will look and happen, the sooner we might be
>>> able to plan for them in future contracts.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Greg

>>> please
>>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and
>>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] "common good" billing

Greg Merritt
Ah, I see -- so the "common good" bill to departments will likely be reduced or eliminated as centrally-funded staff FTE is reduced.

-Greg

On Dec 16, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Burke Bundy wrote:

> Sorry if I wasn't clear.
>
> I believe the implication was that as the campus moves toward a "Shared
> Services" model and eliminate staff FTE as part of the implementation some
> of those monies once spent on staff FTE will be available to spend on
> site-licensed software, among other "common good" initiatives, presumably.
> The campus will have more money to spend on the "common good" because
> they will be funding fewer staff positions.
>
> Burke
>

>> Whose FTE?
>>
>> That is, for a research unit like mine with no central funding, will the
>> elimination of an IST FTE pay for our Office, Adobe, and MATLAB?  That
>> ain't gonna happen.
>>
>> We have precious few IT staff in our unit at the moment as it is, and
>> they're funded via external monies, so it's also silly to imagine that
>> we'll evaporate an FTE (when it's already covered and we're stretched
>> thin) to pay for some licensing, even if the very-restricted funding were
>> to permit it.
>>
>> Seems like a zero-sum thing.
>>
>> -Greg
>>

>> On Dec 16, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Burke Bundy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Greg,
>>>
>>> I believe a similar question was posed recently at a Micronet meeting.
>>> The response from an IST official was (I'm paraphrasing) that it seems
>>> reasonable to conclude that at least some of the monies for these
>>> "common
>>> good" initiatives will come from funds currently allocated to staff FTE.
>>>
>>> Burke

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] "common good" billing

FWIW, VC-AF John Wilton talked some about this all at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18866518, starting at about the 1:18:00 mark, running through about 1:24:30.  (I don't know more about it than what he says there.)

Cheers,

Ian

On Dec 16, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Burke Bundy wrote:

> Sorry if I wasn't clear.
>
> I believe the implication was that as the campus moves toward a "Shared
> Services" model and eliminate staff FTE as part of the implementation some
> of those monies once spent on staff FTE will be available to spend on
> site-licensed software, among other "common good" initiatives, presumably.
> The campus will have more money to spend on the "common good" because
> they will be funding fewer staff positions.
>
> Burke
>

>> Whose FTE?
>>
>> That is, for a research unit like mine with no central funding, will the
>> elimination of an IST FTE pay for our Office, Adobe, and MATLAB?  That
>> ain't gonna happen.
>>
>> We have precious few IT staff in our unit at the moment as it is, and
>> they're funded via external monies, so it's also silly to imagine that
>> we'll evaporate an FTE (when it's already covered and we're stretched
>> thin) to pay for some licensing, even if the very-restricted funding were
>> to permit it.
>>
>> Seems like a zero-sum thing.
>>
>> -Greg
>>

>> On Dec 16, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Burke Bundy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Greg,
>>>
>>> I believe a similar question was posed recently at a Micronet meeting.
>>> The response from an IST official was (I'm paraphrasing) that it seems
>>> reasonable to conclude that at least some of the monies for these
>>> "common
>>> good" initiatives will come from funds currently allocated to staff FTE.
>>>
>>> Burke

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu