[Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

[Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Sara Leavitt
Hi all,

What is the best password manager tool ?

Thanks, Sara

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Eric Knight
I like keepass (http://keepass.info/)
Eric.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Sara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

What is the best password manager tool ?

Thanks, Sara

Eric Knight
Applications Developer
University of California
Environment, Health &  Safety
317 University Hall, #1150
Berkeley, CA 94720-1150

Tel: (510) 643-9493

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Tim Heidinger

I've used Lastpass http://lastpass.com for years.

Love their encrypted notes feature and notes for each login where I store my nonsensical answers to the site's security questions.

On Apr 2, 2013 8:44 AM, "Eric Knight" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like keepass (http://keepass.info/)
Eric.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Sara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

What is the best password manager tool ?

Thanks, Sara

Eric Knight
Applications Developer
University of California
Environment, Health &  Safety
317 University Hall, #1150
Berkeley, CA 94720-1150

Tel: (510) 643-9493

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Andrew M. Stevko
lastpass works really well for me.
the $12/y cost of the premium membership gives you the same password functionality on your mobile device.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Tim Heidinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've used Lastpass http://lastpass.com for years.

Love their encrypted notes feature and notes for each login where I store my nonsensical answers to the site's security questions.

On Apr 2, 2013 8:44 AM, "Eric Knight" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like keepass (http://keepass.info/)
Eric.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Sara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

What is the best password manager tool ?

Thanks, Sara

Eric Knight
Applications Developer
University of California
Environment, Health &  Safety
317 University Hall, #1150
Berkeley, CA 94720-1150

Tel: (510) 643-9493

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Jeff Teeters
I like passpack:
http://www.passpack.com/en/home/
It's free for up to 100 passwords.  It's an online password manager
which still seems quite secure.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Andrew M. Stevko
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> lastpass works really well for me.
> the $12/y cost of the premium membership gives you the same password
> functionality on your mobile device.
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Tim Heidinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've used Lastpass http://lastpass.com for years.
>>
>> Love their encrypted notes feature and notes for each login where I store
>> my nonsensical answers to the site's security questions.
>>
>> On Apr 2, 2013 8:44 AM, "Eric Knight" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like keepass (http://keepass.info/)
>>> Eric.

>>> Eric Knight
>>> Applications Developer
>>> University of California
>>> Environment, Health &  Safety
>>> 317 University Hall, #1150
>>> Berkeley, CA 94720-1150
>>>
>>> Tel: (510) 643-9493
>>> [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Jack Burris
I use the freely-available (and cross-platform I might add . . .Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista / 7 / 8, each 32-bit and 64-bit, Mono (Linux, Mac OS X, BSD, ...) Keepass, as a Portable App (which could potentially be run from a USB stick, or (gulp) from a networked file share (cloud/fileserver etc).

You can set it up with most any sort of key.  Keepass has an outstanding password generator.

Now you can have ridiculously-complex passwords unique to each of the places you frequent.  :)

It almost goes without saying:  any password manager is probably going to involve you entering a passphrase to open the application.  Be sure to use an appropriately complex passphrase for this and CHANGE IT REGULARLY!

May I also suggest making use of something like PasswordCard:

Take care,
Jack

[...]

Graham Patterson

I have to keep more than just passwords in a secure space, so I use a
smallish TrueCrypt 'folder' and store it where I need it. I have
different ones for personal and business information. Always nice to
have a physical copy when the network went down...

To be fair, I am not a heavy smart phone user.

Graham

On 4/3/13 2:01 PM, Jack BURRIS wrote:

> [...]
>             and people who have known you in the past.

>         upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>         http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>         Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>         world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>         searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>         viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>         people who have known you in the past.

>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>     on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>     others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>     known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Lawrence Sweet
Good to see that someone using a MONO developed app...I recently "ported" a .NET client/server sockets codebase to MONO and it runs great as a LINUX console application.

> [...]

>             searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>             viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers,
>             and people who have known you in the past.

>         upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>         http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>         Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>         world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>         searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>         viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>         people who have known you in the past.

>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>     on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>     others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

"...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Scot Hacker
Kind of surprised no one has mentioned 1Password here. It's a bit pricey, but very elegantly designed. Includes both a standalone app and plugins for all major browsers, plus has separate sections for secure/encrypted notes, wallets,  accounts, multiple identities,  software serial #s, servers, etc. Folders and tagging, search, Dropbox or iCloud integration to sync your stash between multiple machines or devices.  Native password generation Mac, Win, Android, iOS support... I can't imagine living without it.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword

./s

__________________________
Scot Hacker
Senior Software Developer @ CalCentral
Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley

__________________________

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Andrew M. Stevko
re: Keepass
What are the best methods for using the same password safe among the many computers, virts, browsers, chromebooks, ipads, and droids I have.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Scot Hacker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kind of surprised no one has mentioned 1Password here. It's a bit pricey, but very elegantly designed. Includes both a standalone app and plugins for all major browsers, plus has separate sections for secure/encrypted notes, wallets,  accounts, multiple identities,  software serial #s, servers, etc. Folders and tagging, search, Dropbox or iCloud integration to sync your stash between multiple machines or devices.  Native password generation Mac, Win, Android, iOS support... I can't imagine living without it.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword

./s

__________________________
Scot Hacker
Senior Software Developer @ CalCentral
Educational Technology Services, UC Berkeley

__________________________

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Adam Stone
Re: 1password, for those of you with a Berkeley Lab appointment,
1password is free to you at software.lbl.gov

More info: https://commons.lbl.gov/display/cpp/Passwords+-+Tips+on+Creating+and+Storing

as

Re: [Micronet] recommendations for password manager tool?

Jay Bryon
I'm using it as well, still getting used to it, so I don't have a solid recommendation yet, but so far so good.

-Jay

[...]

Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
-Voltaire

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]