[Micronet] remote desktop for ios

William Doyle
Good Day,

One of the users I support has asked about a remote desktop app for her iPad. The first one I tested was not so good so I thought I'd ask if anyone is using, or has evaluated, an RDP app that they like. (preferably free or really cheap).

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
--
William Doyle
International House

Re: [Micronet] remote desktop for ios

Charles Lam
Hi Bill,

Two apps that I have used but I don't use on a regular basis:
  • LogMeIn  - The free version should be good enough.  It helped my previous employer to track down a "stolen" laptop earlier this year.
  • Remote Desktop Lite - RDP by MochaSoft.

Charles Lam

Business/Tech Support Analyst

Research Enterprise Services IT

University of California, Berkeley

Voice: (510) 642-2093

http://res.berkeley.edu

Please consider the environment before printing this email!

On 11/29/2012 7:53 AM, William Doyle wrote:
Good Day,

One of the users I support has asked about a remote desktop app for her iPad. The first one I tested was not so good so I thought I'd ask if anyone is using, or has evaluated, an RDP app that they like. (preferably free or really cheap).

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
--
William Doyle
International House
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] remote desktop for ios

Dave Taylor
I tried cheap/free versions of Mocha, Splashtop, ABU's VNC, and TeamViewer. They all were either pretty lousy or were feature limited to upsell a "pro" product.

I ended up going with Screens VNC when it was on sale, and have been happy with it and use it just about every day. It's $20, but for a daily use app it's worth it for a utility that works well and is updated often.

In Sept 2011, Adam Dachis on lifehacker called it the best VNC app for iOS.

-Dave Taylor
Digital Content Producer
UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAM/PFA)
Woo Hon Fai Hall
University of California, Berkeley
2625 Durant Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94720-2250
(510) 984-2776 Tel
(510) 643-8655 Alt

On Nov 29, 2012, at 7:53 AM, William Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good Day,

One of the users I support has asked about a remote desktop app for her iPad. The first one I tested was not so good so I thought I'd ask if anyone is using, or has evaluated, an RDP app that they like. (preferably free or really cheap).

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
--
William Doyle
International House
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] remote desktop for ios

Robert Hiramoto
Hi Bill,

I've tried pocket cloud. It had free and paid versions if I recall correctly.

I've also used gotoassist and team viewer but these don't use rdp I believe.

-Robert

"If you try to fail, and you succeed, which have you done?"
-Mike Binder, on the "This Week with Larry Miller" podcast

On Nov 29, 2012, at 7:53 AM, William Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good Day,

One of the users I support has asked about a remote desktop app for her iPad. The first one I tested was not so good so I thought I'd ask if anyone is using, or has evaluated, an RDP app that they like. (preferably free or really cheap).

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
--
William Doyle
International House
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] remote desktop for ios

Guy D. VINSON
teamviewer...

---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley
510-842-7199

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM, William Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good Day,

One of the users I support has asked about a remote desktop app for her iPad. The first one I tested was not so good so I thought I'd ask if anyone is using, or has evaluated, an RDP app that they like. (preferably free or really cheap).

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
--
William Doyle
International House
UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] remote desktop for ios

William
Isn't the VNC "Screen Sharing" on a Mac still done unencrypted?  I haven't used that method in a very long time.
William Chen
Systems Administrator
College of Chemistry
On 11/29/2012 8:10 AM, Dave Taylor wrote:
[...]

Greg Merritt
I you flip on ssh, you can do a super-easy tunnel config & VNC with the app iSSH.

-Greg