[Micronet] removing RIP

ken lindahl
micronet,

i apologize to those of you for whom this is a duplicate announcement, but i want to post this here since Isaac made the original announcement on micronet awhile ago. i just posted to the ucb-net-announce list:

SCHED MAINTENANCE multiple on-campus locations thu 28 june 2012 0600 - forever

Equipment: inr-{220,230,240,270,51,65}
Location: multiple on-campus locations
Date: thu 28 june 2012 Start: 0600 End: forever

on thursday, 6/28/2010 from 0600-0700, i will be removing the RIP configurations from the small number of campus routers where RIP is still running: inr-220, inr-230, inr-240, inr-270, inr-51, inr-65.

this change was announced 4/26/2012 by Isaac Orr; here is Isaac's announcement to micronet:

> On Apr 26, 2012; 5:11pm, Isaac Orr wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> For many years Network Operations and Services (and its predecessor
> organizations) has run RIP (Routing Information Protocol) on subnets on
> campus to provide default route/default gateway information to hosts
> that listened to this protocol.
>
> For a long time now our standard has been for hosts to NOT listen to RIP
> and to either obtain gateway information via static configuration, DHCP
> or in the case of IPv6, SLAAC.
>
> It is our intention to stop running RIP on any routers on the campus
> network.  We will do this by the end of June 2012.
>
> We do not expect this change to have significant user impact because RIP
> has not been a supported network service for quite some time.  There may
> be rare cases where hosts still rely on RIP advertisements to reach the
> rest of Campus and beyond.  In those cases we will work with affected
> parties to resolve issues as they arise as a result of this change.
>
> Regards
>
> iso
> --
> Isaac Simon Orr
> Manager, Network Operations and Services
> IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
> P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

6/28/2012 will be RIP's final day on campus; so too will it be my final day on campus: both RIP and i are retiring that day.

ken lindahl
IST-Telecommunications

Re: [Micronet] removing RIP

Tom Holub
On 6/21/12 2:33 PM, ken lindahl wrote:

> 6/28/2012 will be RIP's final day on campus; so too will it be my final day
> on campus: both RIP and i are retiring that day.

An end of two eras.  Thanks, Ken, for keeping the innertubes working on campus
for so long.  Congrats!

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] removing RIP

Yau-Man Chan-2
R.I.P. RIP!

What's next?  You gonna turn off AppleTalk too :-(

Yau-Man

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2012, at 5:15 PM, "Tom Holub" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/21/12 2:33 PM, ken lindahl wrote:
>>
>> 6/28/2012 will be RIP's final day on campus; so too will it be my final day
>> on campus: both RIP and i are retiring that day.
>
> An end of two eras.  Thanks, Ken, for keeping the innertubes working on campus
> for so long.  Congrats!
>
> --
> Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
> Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
> 101.D Durant Hall
> <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Re: [Micronet] removing RIP

Jay Bryon
AppleTalk has been gone for almost a decade, heck Apple hasn't used it
for almost that long, having moved to IP for all their protocol fun,
i.e. Bonjour and so forth.

You still have some Farallon phone net you need a Shiva gateway for?  I
still have one in my museum...

-J

On 6/21/12 7:13 PM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:

> R.I.P. RIP!
>
> What's next?  You gonna turn off AppleTalk too :-(
>
> Yau-Man
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 21, 2012, at 5:15 PM, "Tom Holub"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 6/21/12 2:33 PM, ken lindahl wrote:
>>> 6/28/2012 will be RIP's final day on campus; so too will it be my final day
>>> on campus: both RIP and i are retiring that day.
>> An end of two eras.  Thanks, Ken, for keeping the innertubes working on campus
>> for so long.  Congrats!
>>
>> --
>> Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
>> Director of Computing, College of Letters&  Science
>> 101.D Durant Hall
>> <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
[hidden email]
2-5636

"The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed"
-William Gibson

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

Re: [Micronet] removing RIP

Isaac Orr-2
For everyone's reading pleasure…

http://net.berkeley.edu/ipx-at-abatement/

iso

On Jun 22, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Jay Bryon wrote:

> AppleTalk has been gone for almost a decade, heck Apple hasn't used it
> for almost that long, having moved to IP for all their protocol fun,
> i.e. Bonjour and so forth.
>
> You still have some Farallon phone net you need a Shiva gateway for?  I
> still have one in my museum...
>
> -J
>
> On 6/21/12 7:13 PM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
>> R.I.P. RIP!
>>
>> What's next?  You gonna turn off AppleTalk too :-(
>>
>> Yau-Man
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> An end of two eras.  Thanks, Ken, for keeping the innertubes working on campus
>>> for so long.  Congrats!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
>>> Director of Computing, College of Letters&  Science
>>> 101.D Durant Hall
>>> <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

> Jay Bryon
> Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
> [hidden email]
> 2-5636
>
> "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed"
> -William Gibson
>
> [Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

Re: [Micronet] removing RIP

tedcrum
Did it have music in 2002? (did  I have speakers in 2002?)

A nice communication job too; standards were high then.

-tc