[Micronet] restricting internet usage

Lucy Greco

Hello:

We have a couple of work study students that won’t stop surfing the web. They need to have network connections to access the file server. Any ideas and optimally a gpo to stop them wasting our time and money. One of them had the gall to set the group bang account to her Gmail with auto log in. there just Dum but we need to keep them working until we find students to replace them smile

Re: [Micronet] restricting internet usage

Bill Clark
You could configure the local machine firewall settings to only allow
connections to the berkeley.edu IP ranges.  Then they could access campus
services and websites, but not anything else on the Internet.

-Bill Clark

> Hello:
>
> We have a couple of work study students that won't stop surfing the web.
> They need to have network connections to access the file server. Any ideas
> and optimally a gpo to stop them wasting our time and money. One of them
> had
> the gall to set the group bang account to her Gmail with auto log in.
> there
> just Dum but we need to keep them working until we find students to
> replace
> them smile

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] restricting internet usage

Lucy Greco-2

One last thing that makes it harder. The students do need to go to our online time sheet  “tms” in the Berkeley domain and book share as well out of Berkeley. Thanks what we really need is a way to stop face book and twitter and personal e-mail. It is a rule but they just try and hide it from us

We have a couple of work study students that won’t stop surfing the web. They need to have network connections to access the file server. Any ideas and optimally a gpo to stop them wasting our time and money. One of them had the gall to set the group bang account to her Gmail with auto log in. there just Dum but we need to keep them working until we find students to replace them smile

Re: [Micronet] restricting internet usage

Just my very humble opinion, and I really hope this comes across as trying to be helpful, not critical, but:

I feel that trying to do performance management via firewall rule is rarely effective.  For example, I wouldn't be surprised if your students would then just switch to using their iPhones to do the same surfing.

It may also sound snotty, but I also feel that (a) net access isn't necessarily a performance issue--if they're getting done what they're asked to do, and still have time to check their mail or update Facebook, that's not really a problem; and (b) that part of having a student employee is taking the time to coach and teach them how to work and act professionally.

Anyway, my 0.2 cents,

Ian

On Jul 16, 2010, at 3:17 PM, lucia greco wrote:

Hello:
We have a couple of work study students that won’t stop surfing the web. They need to have network connections to access the file server. Any ideas and optimally a gpo to stop them wasting our time and money. One of them had the gall to set the group bang account to her Gmail with auto log in. there just Dum but we need to keep them working until we find students to replace them smile

Media Vault Program
Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Outgoing Chair, Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee

Re: [Micronet] restricting internet usage

Andrew Ring
Would setting the hosts file to redirect facebook and twitter to either
localhost or berkeley.edu work for you?

The hosts file should be at: \Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Adding lines like
127.0.0.1 facebook.com
would redirect facebook.com to the localhost.
One may have to add all of the permutations of the DNS name.

Lucy Greco wrote:

> One last thing that makes it harder. The students do need to go to our
> online time sheet  “tms” in the Berkeley domain and book share as well
> out of Berkeley. Thanks what we really need is a way to stop face book
> and twitter and personal e-mail. It is a rule but they just try and hide
> it from us

Work
Barracuda networks appliance on your perimeter network. Spend a little up front and have massive control.

Just My opinion

Lfelipe FSIT