[Micronet] robocopy

William Doyle
Good Day,

We employ folder redirection and will be deploying a new file server soon.

I'm looking to mirror the directory structure and data from the old
server to new using the robocopy command.

It's working  fine in my small test environment with just few user
folders and minimal data but in production I'll be copying around 100GB
from 75 sub-directories.

If anyone has any experience with this procedure, good or bad, I'd be
interested in hearing about it (or an alternative).

Thanks,

Bill Doyle
International House

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

Jon Forrest-3
On 7/10/2013 9:44 AM, William Doyle wrote:

> I'm looking to mirror the directory structure and data from the old
> server to new using the robocopy command.
>
> It's working  fine in my small test environment with just few user
> folders and minimal data but in production I'll be copying around 100GB
> from 75 sub-directories.
>
> If anyone has any experience with this procedure, good or bad, I'd be
> interested in hearing about it (or an alternative).

I used to use Robocopy to mirror ~700GB. I can't think of a better
program for this kind of thing. It only copies files that need
copying, and does a great job of making sure that the destination
is identical to the source. It has a bunch of options that could
speed up the copying process.

Cordially,

--
Jon Forrest
UCB - ret.

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

Lawrence Sweet
Hi Bill,

I have not used RoboCopy myself, but I have some experience with recursing through windows directory structures via a program I wrote that automatically organizes image files to backup media.

What I took away from this is probably applicable to robocopy: be careful when dealing with directories that contain characters such as '!' or ' ' ', etc.

Best of luck,
Lawrence

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

Pretty much what Jon said.  I used robocopy a few years ago to copy a terabyte or two of data between two servers.  It worked really well.  Its ability to recover, and pick up where it left off, in the event of any glitches was priceless.  One note, though: Even with the two servers on gigabit ethernet, it did take a while--a week or 10 days IIRC--for that much data.

Cheers,

Ian

On Jul 10, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Jon Forrest <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

I am in the throes of moving several terabytes from our in-house server
to IST NAS space, and Robocopy is the best tool. If you can run it on a
newer 64-bit Windows server you can make use of the /MT multi-thread
option which helps speed things up. It is up to you if you want to play
with the /IPG switch to throttle the transfer. On a slower network it
probably makes sense to avoid clobbering normal traffic.

Robocopy is pretty good about files and permissions, though I prefer to
create the destination directory, set the perms and any compression to
propagate, and then do a basic /COPY:DAT permissions. Obviously if you
have complex permissions in a directory tree you may need DATSOU or
something else. If it does hit something it can't read, it tends to skip
it silently. So do a sanity check on the copied directories and files count.

For big jobs I set /R to 3, and /W to 30 seconds, and copy the live
data. Then I run a mirror and purge just before switching over to the
new location to freshen up the copy. That is comparatively quick. You
can also set it up to run continuously doing updates, though I find that
a bit of overkill.

If you find that a mirror is doing a lot of redundant copying, try the
/FFT switch to reduce the timestamp sensitivity to 2 seconds.

If you want to erase the old directory tree, create an empty directory
somewhere handy, and do this:

robocopy \emptyDir \targetDir /NOCOPY /PURGE

Basically makes the old directory look like the empty one - empty. Don't
make mistakes with this, though!

Graham

On 7/10/13 9:44 AM, William Doyle wrote:

> Good Day,
>

> We employ folder redirection and will be deploying a new file server soon.
>
> I'm looking to mirror the directory structure and data from the old
> server to new using the robocopy command.
>
> It's working  fine in my small test environment with just few user
> folders and minimal data but in production I'll be copying around 100GB
> from 75 sub-directories.
>
> If anyone has any experience with this procedure, good or bad, I'd be
> interested in hearing about it (or an alternative).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Doyle
> International House

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

tedcrum
Does robocopy copy open files using volume shadow copy?

I had some trouble using another copy / sync tool that didn't.

-tc

At 09:44 AM 7/10/2013, William Doyle wrote:

>Good Day,
>

>We employ folder redirection and will be deploying a new file server soon.
>
>I'm looking to mirror the directory structure and data from the old
>server to new using the robocopy command.
>
>It's working  fine in my small test environment with just few user
>folders and minimal data but in production I'll be copying around 100GB
>from 75 sub-directories.
>
>If anyone has any experience with this procedure, good or bad, I'd be
>interested in hearing about it (or an alternative).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill Doyle
>International House

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

Graham Patterson
No, it can get hung - that's why I set retry and wait times, and do a
last re-run.

The whole volume shadow copy is really a fix for Windows allowing
exclusive file locks by default.

Graham

On 7/10/2013 2:07 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> Does robocopy copy open files using volume shadow copy?
>
> I had some trouble using another copy / sync tool that didn't.
>
> -tc
>

> At 09:44 AM 7/10/2013, William Doyle wrote:
>> Good Day,
>>

>> We employ folder redirection and will be deploying a new file server soon.
>>
>> I'm looking to mirror the directory structure and data from the old
>> server to new using the robocopy command.
>>
>> It's working  fine in my small test environment with just few user
>> folders and minimal data but in production I'll be copying around 100GB
>>from 75 sub-directories.
>>
>> If anyone has any experience with this procedure, good or bad, I'd be
>> interested in hearing about it (or an alternative).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill Doyle
>> International House

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

Robert L. Muzzy
To get around file locks you can use VSS to create a volume shadow drive
of your original source and then run robocopy from the shadow.

Bob Muzzy
Student Affairs IT
UC Berkeley

Does robocopy copy open files using volume shadow copy?

I had some trouble using another copy / sync tool that didn't.

-tc

At 09:44 AM 7/10/2013, William Doyle wrote:
>Good Day,
>

>We employ folder redirection and will be deploying a new file server
soon.

>I'm looking to mirror the directory structure and data from the old
>server to new using the robocopy command.
>
>It's working  fine in my small test environment with just few user
>folders and minimal data but in production I'll be copying around 100GB
>from 75 sub-directories.
>
>If anyone has any experience with this procedure, good or bad, I'd be
>interested in hearing about it (or an alternative).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill Doyle
>International House

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known
>you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

Richard DeShong-2
Ted, maybe use a combination of DiskShadow and RoboCopy.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, it can get hung - that's why I set retry and wait times, and do a
last re-run.

The whole volume shadow copy is really a fix for Windows allowing
exclusive file locks by default.

Graham

On 7/10/2013 2:07 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
> Does robocopy copy open files using volume shadow copy?
>
> I had some trouble using another copy / sync tool that didn't.
>
> -tc
>

> At 09:44 AM 7/10/2013, William Doyle wrote:
>> Good Day,
>>

>> We employ folder redirection and will be deploying a new file server soon.
>>
>> I'm looking to mirror the directory structure and data from the old
>> server to new using the robocopy command.
>>
>> It's working  fine in my small test environment with just few user
>> folders and minimal data but in production I'll be copying around 100GB
>>from 75 sub-directories.
>>
>> If anyone has any experience with this procedure, good or bad, I'd be
>> interested in hearing about it (or an alternative).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill Doyle
>> International House

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>> known you in the past.

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] robocopy

Lawrence Sweet
Not that more options are necessary (unless perhaps that diskshadow is pricey) but another option is to use powershell to map a drive to the volume shadow, and use it as desired:

$s1 = (gwmi -List Win32_ShadowCopy).Create("C:\", "ClientAccessible")
$s2 = gwmi Win32_ShadowCopy | ? { $_.ID -eq $s1.ShadowID }
$d  = $s2.DeviceObject + "\"
cmd /c mklink /d C:\shadowcopy "$d"
From
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14207788/accessing-volume-shadow-copy-vss-snapshots-from-powershell
Or you can of course code a p/invoke win32 API call or use a (managed) API wrapper such as AlphaVSS.
I like compiling exes better for simple tasks, as the slight extra time required comes with event handling, error/exception catch/response, etc.
Lawrence

Sent from my iPhone