[Micronet] routers in Stanley hall?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Micronet] routers in Stanley hall?

gartim
Hi,

Can someone give me a way to locate the ipaddresses for the routers in
Stanley Hall? or maybe a network page id'ing by floor? Much appreciated!
Moving to Stanley in 12 days. Will be spread across floors so may be
more then 1 router? thanks much,

Gary

 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] routers in Stanley hall?

Rune Stromsness
On 11-Jul-12 13:01, ga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone give me a way to locate the ipaddresses for the routers in
> Stanley Hall? or maybe a network page id'ing by floor? Much appreciated!
> Moving to Stanley in 12 days. Will be spread across floors so may be
> more then 1 router? thanks much,

You can see the full list of IPv4 subnets on campus at:
ftp://ftp.net.berkeley.edu/pub/networks.local

Our convention on campus is that IP addresses of routers are the first
usable IP address on the subnet, which in IPv4 will generally be adding
1 to the subnet address that you see on that page.

Any use of IPv4 addresses on campus needs to either by by using specific
addresses assigned by the campus hostmaster OR by using the campus DHCP
service (http://www.net.berkeley.edu/dhcp/).


Stanley is also one of the buildings on campus that uses our current
standard of having different subnets per group or department within a
building instead of subnets by part of building.  So any Stanley subnet
could be what is configured for any given jack.  You'll need to know
exactly which IP address(es) or DHCP subnet are assigned for any given
jack, and be sure that the subnet is appropriate for the group or
department that your systems are primarily affiliated with.

For help with all of that you would send email to
[hidden email]  (see http://www.net.berkeley.edu/hostmaster/ ).


Rune

> Gary
>
>  
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:
>
> To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>

--
Rune Stromsness
Network Operations & Services
Telecommunications
University of California, Berkeley
[hidden email]





 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

signature.asc (268 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] routers in Stanley hall?

gartim
Great! thanks!

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 01:22:28PM -0700, Rune Stromsness wrote:

>On 11-Jul-12 13:01, ga wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone give me a way to locate the ipaddresses for the routers in
>> Stanley Hall? or maybe a network page id'ing by floor? Much appreciated!
>> Moving to Stanley in 12 days. Will be spread across floors so may be
>> more then 1 router? thanks much,
>
>You can see the full list of IPv4 subnets on campus at:
>ftp://ftp.net.berkeley.edu/pub/networks.local
>
>Our convention on campus is that IP addresses of routers are the first
>usable IP address on the subnet, which in IPv4 will generally be adding
>1 to the subnet address that you see on that page.
>
>Any use of IPv4 addresses on campus needs to either by by using specific
>addresses assigned by the campus hostmaster OR by using the campus DHCP
>service (http://www.net.berkeley.edu/dhcp/).
>
>
>Stanley is also one of the buildings on campus that uses our current
>standard of having different subnets per group or department within a
>building instead of subnets by part of building.  So any Stanley subnet
>could be what is configured for any given jack.  You'll need to know
>exactly which IP address(es) or DHCP subnet are assigned for any given
>jack, and be sure that the subnet is appropriate for the group or
>department that your systems are primarily affiliated with.
>
>For help with all of that you would send email to
>[hidden email]  (see http://www.net.berkeley.edu/hostmaster/ ).
>
>
>Rune
>
>> Gary
>>
>>  
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:
>>
>> To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>
>
>
>--
>Rune Stromsness
>Network Operations & Services
>Telecommunications
>University of California, Berkeley
>[hidden email]
>
>
>
>



 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.