[Micronet] skype spamming...

Guy D. VINSON
Has anyone else been noticing a large amount of spam coming in by way of the skype client. I have had several users freaked that their computers were infected with virus, malware, bedbugs, you name it. They get a warning that they are infected and directed to a web site which does a phony scan and promises to remove it for a price. This would be almost comical if there weren't a certain number of people who will fall for it and supply me with a computer I have to try and clean.
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design

Re: [Micronet] skype spamming...

Terri Kouba
Hi Guy,

I receive on average 1 notice every two weeks in Skype that is spam and warns of viruses, malware, etc.  It's always from a variation of up.date.help.usa.on.20 or zau.p.d.a.t.e8, etc.  I ignore them.

Terri

guy vinson wrote, On 4/12/2011 5:44 PM:
Has anyone else been noticing a large amount of spam coming in by way of the skype client. I have had several users freaked that their computers were infected with virus, malware, bedbugs, you name it. They get a warning that they are infected and directed to a web site which does a phony scan and promises to remove it for a price. This would be almost comical if there weren't a certain number of people who will fall for it and supply me with a computer I have to try and clean.
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.