[Micronet] students gmail account

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Micronet] students gmail account

Marilyn Todacheene

So, we have some students within PPCS who have gmail accounts which I'm wondering if their CalAgenda account will be affected by this migration. Thanks.

 

__________________________________________________

Marilyn Todacheene

Facilities Services Information Technology

University of California  |  2000 Carleton Street, RM 226  |  Berkeley, CA  94720-1384

 

(510) 642-3301   |   [hidden email]

___________________________________________________

 


 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] students gmail account

Bernie Rossi
Hi Marilyn,

I'm not quite certain if this is what you mean:

The provisioning of the Berkeley Google instance to prepare for the CalAgenda migration has the possibility of causing "conflicting accounts" with some users.  These are accounts which are not in the actual Berkeley Google instance, but use an @berkeley.edu login.  Here is a link from Google on conflicting accounts:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185172

The provisioning of the Berkeley Google instance and the migration of the CalAgenda data will not affect any @gmail.com accounts.

Thanks,

Bernie

On 7/12/12 3:14 PM, Marilyn Todacheene wrote:

So, we have some students within PPCS who have gmail accounts which I'm wondering if their CalAgenda account will be affected by this migration. Thanks.

 

__________________________________________________

Marilyn Todacheene

Facilities Services Information Technology

University of California  |  2000 Carleton Street, RM 226  |  Berkeley, CA  94720-1384

 

(510) 642-3301   |   [hidden email]

___________________________________________________

 



 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.



 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] students gmail account

Mike Friedman
On 2012-07-12 15:57, Bernie Rossi wrote:
Hi Marilyn,

I'm not quite certain if this is what you mean:

The provisioning of the Berkeley Google instance to prepare for the CalAgenda migration has the possibility of causing "conflicting accounts" with some users.  These are accounts which are not in the actual Berkeley Google instance, but use an @berkeley.edu login.  Here is a link from Google on conflicting accounts:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185172

Bernie,

I just ran into this myself earlier today.  I have long had a personal gmail account for the sole purpose of posting YouTube videos (i.e., no Gmail, etc).  Today, when I tried to log in to it for the first time in a while, I got the above message about conflicting accounts.  Since I don't want to merge my personal account with bCal, I changed the email address of the former (which had been my CalMail address) to another email address I happen to own.

While I'm here, I do have a question about bCal syncing with smart phones.  The current, vanilla, Google docs tell you to enter your Google account password on your phone as part of the procedure (which involves adding a Google account to the phone).  When bCal is available, will this be our CalNet passphrase?  I'm wary of sending my CalNet passphrase to Google, if, indeed, that's what will be expected.  I await anxiously the new bCal documentation.

Thanks.

Mike


-- 
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]
http://mikefberkeley.com


 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] students gmail account

Tom Holub
On 7/12/12 4:28 PM, Mike Friedman wrote:
>
> While I'm here, I do have a question about *bCal* syncing with smart phones.
> The current, vanilla, Google docs tell you to enter your Google account
> password on your phone as part of the procedure (which involves adding a
> Google account to the phone).  When *bCal* is available, will this be our
> CalNet passphrase?  I'm wary of sending my CalNet passphrase to Google, if,
> indeed, that's what will be expected.  I await anxiously the new *bCal
> *documentation.

We will not be sharing CalNet passphrases with Google; for access other than
through a web browser (and CAS), you'll need to generate a different
passphrase (which, last I heard, will be called an "application token") for
Google Apps.  We're currently testing a web app to allow users to generate a
token, which then could be stored on your phone (or in your IMAP client, once
we get Gmail).

We may do something similar for other external vendors in the future.

This all will be part of the communication that is coming out, hopefully very
soon.

Note: I am not affiliated with the project, I just go to more meetings than
most people.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>




 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Micronet] students gmail account

Mike Friedman
On 2012-07-12 16:34, Tom Holub wrote:
On 7/12/12 4:28 PM, Mike Friedman wrote:
While I'm here, I do have a question about *bCal* syncing with smart phones. 
The current, vanilla, Google docs tell you to enter your Google account
password on your phone as part of the procedure (which involves adding a
Google account to the phone).  When *bCal* is available, will this be our
CalNet passphrase?  I'm wary of sending my CalNet passphrase to Google, if,
indeed, that's what will be expected.  I await anxiously the new *bCal
*documentation.
We will not be sharing CalNet passphrases with Google; for access other than
through a web browser (and CAS), you'll need to generate a different
passphrase (which, last I heard, will be called an "application token") for
Google Apps.  We're currently testing a web app to allow users to generate a
token, which then could be stored on your phone (or in your IMAP client, once
we get Gmail).

Tom,

Thanks for that.  I am actually somewhat aware of the "app token", but forgot about it in this connection.

Meantime, however, I just received (automated) email from the "Google Calendar Team", informing me that someone has given me permission to view his calendar.  The mail contains a link to "view your calendar".  On my iPhone, selecting this link results in a Google login page which wants a password.  On my Windows system where my browser happens to have a current CalNet  CAS token, I'm just taken straight to my Google Calendar.  I'm just wondering if others might not encounter this potentially confusing situation on their phones, before app tokens have become available.  In particular, one might be tempted to enter one's CalNet passphrases in the password field.

Also, although the email says that the aforementioned calendar has automatically been added to my Google Calendar account, I don't see it there.  I suspect I'm just confused about what's going on (because I don't yet know much about Google Calendar) and my concern is that others might be as well during this transition period to bCal.

Mike



-- 
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]
http://mikefberkeley.com


 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was automatically added to this message by the list server:

To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.