[Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

[Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

Roger Emond

Hi Micronetters,

We plan to remodel the audio-video capabilities of one of our classrooms and install for the first time in another. I've heard that some places are starting to install 60" televisions instead of the expensive projectors with their expensive lamps. If anyone has any experience or opinions on this, please email me off list. Also, I'm wondering how to deal with the need for both a white board and a television screen in a room where there is only one usable wall.

Thanks in advance!

Roger Emond

Re: [Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

Graham Patterson

We have several dotted around the building. Most are used in conference
spaces for webinars, demos, or Skype meetings. We have a couple of TVs
networked to display web pages in the public space.

Most dual use spaces seem to box in the screen with write-on doors.

We still have projectors in several rooms. And for big rooms (like our
auditorium) that is the only sensible option unless you want to buld a
video wall.

Graham

On 6/26/12 11:29 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Micronetters,
>
> We plan to remodel the audio-video capabilities of one of our classrooms
> and install for the first time in another. I've heard that some places
> are starting to install 60" televisions instead of the expensive
> projectors with their expensive lamps. If anyone has any experience or
> opinions on this, please email me off list. Also, I'm wondering how to
> deal with the need for both a white board and a television screen in a
> room where there is only one usable wall.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Roger Emond

Re: [Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

Baril
Roger,

Almost all of our classrooms/lecture rooms/library have big flat screen TV's. We still use projectors in 2 of our labs, but plan on adding a flat screen in both of those soon. Plasma seems to be the best. Call ETS for more info......

Roy
On 6/26/2012 11:29 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi Micronetters,

We plan to remodel the audio-video capabilities of one of our classrooms and install for the first time in another. I've heard that some places are starting to install 60" televisions instead of the expensive projectors with their expensive lamps. If anyone has any experience or opinions on this, please email me off list. Also, I'm wondering how to deal with the need for both a white board and a television screen in a room where there is only one usable wall.

Thanks in advance!

Roger Emond

Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Re: [Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

Yau-Man Chan-2
Here's my take on this.  When we renovated 3 seminars rooms two years
ago, we equipped them all with flat screen monitors.

If you stay below 65", you can get one for less than $3000 - delivered
and mounted with supplied mounting hardware.  Once you go over 65", the
cost more than doubles and you are limited to about 80" at this time.

Certainly, it's bit more than a projector and a lot more if you want
large screen.  But even with smaller screen (<65") if you add in the
cost of ceiling mounting a projector, running AC power and audio/video
signals to it from the front of the room, the flat screen options is
very competitive.  The electrical contract to run AC power and 1 set of
audio and 2 sets of video signal from the front of the room to the
ceiling mount for our 36 seat seminar room was estimated to be about
$2,500 - so $3,000 for a 60" flat screen which included mount was a
better deal.

However there is a huge disadvantage with flat screen panels when
compared to projectors and screens - Laser points DON'T work.  On a
plasma panel, forget it.  On an LED flat panel, a green laser point is
barely visible and on a LCD flat panel, with the brightness turned down,
it's barely ok.  (It's just that the panels pixels are active light
source and the laser pointer beam is no match for the bright pixels!)
We have resorted to lo-tech - keep a 3 ft -1/2" dia wooden dowel with a
rubber tip in the room and use it to point!

Yau-Man Chan
Chief Technology Officer
College of Chemistry
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

Office: 510-643-1034
FAX: 510-643-6178
chemistry.berkeley.edu
[hidden email]

On 6/26/12 11:29 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Micronetters,
>
> We plan to remodel the audio-video capabilities of one of our
> classrooms and install for the first time in another. I've heard that
> some places are starting to install 60" televisions instead of the
> expensive projectors with their expensive lamps. If anyone has any
> experience or opinions on this, please email me off list. Also, I'm
> wondering how to deal with the need for both a white board and a
> television screen in a room where there is only one usable wall.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Roger Emond

Re: [Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

Hari Hirani
Yau-Man,

Can a wireless mouse work for such a setup?

Regards,
Hari

On Jun 26, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:

> Here's my take on this.  When we renovated 3 seminars rooms two years
> ago, we equipped them all with flat screen monitors.
>
> If you stay below 65", you can get one for less than $3000 - delivered
> and mounted with supplied mounting hardware.  Once you go over 65", the
> cost more than doubles and you are limited to about 80" at this time.
>
> Certainly, it's bit more than a projector and a lot more if you want
> large screen.  But even with smaller screen (<65") if you add in the
> cost of ceiling mounting a projector, running AC power and audio/video
> signals to it from the front of the room, the flat screen options is
> very competitive.  The electrical contract to run AC power and 1 set of
> audio and 2 sets of video signal from the front of the room to the
> ceiling mount for our 36 seat seminar room was estimated to be about
> $2,500 - so $3,000 for a 60" flat screen which included mount was a
> better deal.
>
> However there is a huge disadvantage with flat screen panels when
> compared to projectors and screens - Laser points DON'T work.  On a
> plasma panel, forget it.  On an LED flat panel, a green laser point is
> barely visible and on a LCD flat panel, with the brightness turned down,
> it's barely ok.  (It's just that the panels pixels are active light
> source and the laser pointer beam is no match for the bright pixels!)
> We have resorted to lo-tech - keep a 3 ft -1/2" dia wooden dowel with a
> rubber tip in the room and use it to point!
>

> Yau-Man Chan
> Chief Technology Officer
> College of Chemistry
> University of California
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>
> Office: 510-643-1034
> FAX: 510-643-6178
> chemistry.berkeley.edu

>> Hi Micronetters,
>>
>> We plan to remodel the audio-video capabilities of one of our
>> classrooms and install for the first time in another. I've heard that
>> some places are starting to install 60" televisions instead of the
>> expensive projectors with their expensive lamps. If anyone has any
>> experience or opinions on this, please email me off list. Also, I'm
>> wondering how to deal with the need for both a white board and a
>> television screen in a room where there is only one usable wall.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Roger Emond
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> This body part will be downloaded on demand.

Re: [Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

Greg Merritt
On Jun 26, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:

> However there is a huge disadvantage with flat screen panels when
> compared to projectors and screens - Laser points DON'T work.  On a
> plasma panel, forget it.

I like the hold-and-drag virtual laser pointer in the iPad version of Keynote.  Pretty neat!

Re: [Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

Yau-Man Chan-2
Yes, if they are setup with a wireless mouse on the laptop they are
using for the presentation.

The problem is most people are used to walking around and using their
laser pointer - and they'll have to be equipped with a wireless mouse if
they know ahead of time they need to use one.

Yau-Man Chan
Chief Technology Officer
College of Chemistry
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

Office: 510-643-1034
FAX: 510-643-6178
chemistry.berkeley.edu
[hidden email]

On 6/26/12 1:47 PM, hari hirani wrote:

> Yau-Man,
>
> Can a wireless mouse work for such a setup?
>
> Regards,
> Hari
>
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:
>
>> Here's my take on this.  When we renovated 3 seminars rooms two years
>> ago, we equipped them all with flat screen monitors.
>>
>> If you stay below 65", you can get one for less than $3000 - delivered
>> and mounted with supplied mounting hardware.  Once you go over 65", the
>> cost more than doubles and you are limited to about 80" at this time.
>>
>> Certainly, it's bit more than a projector and a lot more if you want
>> large screen.  But even with smaller screen (<65") if you add in the
>> cost of ceiling mounting a projector, running AC power and audio/video
>> signals to it from the front of the room, the flat screen options is
>> very competitive.  The electrical contract to run AC power and 1 set of
>> audio and 2 sets of video signal from the front of the room to the
>> ceiling mount for our 36 seat seminar room was estimated to be about
>> $2,500 - so $3,000 for a 60" flat screen which included mount was a
>> better deal.
>>
>> However there is a huge disadvantage with flat screen panels when
>> compared to projectors and screens - Laser points DON'T work.  On a
>> plasma panel, forget it.  On an LED flat panel, a green laser point is
>> barely visible and on a LCD flat panel, with the brightness turned down,
>> it's barely ok.  (It's just that the panels pixels are active light
>> source and the laser pointer beam is no match for the bright pixels!)
>> We have resorted to lo-tech - keep a 3 ft -1/2" dia wooden dowel with a
>> rubber tip in the room and use it to point!
>>

>> Yau-Man Chan
>> Chief Technology Officer
>> College of Chemistry
>> University of California
>> Berkeley, CA 94720-1460
>>
>> Office: 510-643-1034
>> FAX: 510-643-6178
>> chemistry.berkeley.edu
>> [hidden email]

>>> Hi Micronetters,
>>>
>>> We plan to remodel the audio-video capabilities of one of our
>>> classrooms and install for the first time in another. I've heard that
>>> some places are starting to install 60" televisions instead of the
>>> expensive projectors with their expensive lamps. If anyone has any
>>> experience or opinions on this, please email me off list. Also, I'm
>>> wondering how to deal with the need for both a white board and a
>>> television screen in a room where there is only one usable wall.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Roger Emond
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

>>> This body part will be downloaded on demand.

Re: [Micronet] televisions VS projectors in classrooms

tedcrum
At 11:29 AM 6/26/2012, you wrote:

>Hi Micronetters,
>
>We plan to remodel the audio-video capabilities of one of our
>classrooms and install for the first time in another. I've heard
>that some places are starting to install 60" televisions instead of
>the expensive projectors with their expensive lamps. If anyone has
>any experience or opinions on this, please email me off list. Also,
>I'm wondering how to deal with the need for both a white board and a
>television screen in a room where there is only one usable wall.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>

>Roger Emond
>
>[hidden email]

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Our now having a lot of response on that, is there any group
experience with wall-mounted ultra-short throw projectors?

They mount on an arm (often foldable) extending less than a metre
from the wall, above a white board, and have extreme optics that
project down so steeply that the presenter doesn't shadow the
projection when pointing with a finger. The one-piece assembly with
sound plugs into a wall outlet, and it looks to combine the benefits
of both flat screens and projectors. Only suitable, though, for smaller spaces.

Sounds good, but I've never seen one, or heard from a user.

-Ted Crum
  Psychology