[Micronet] the irony....

Greg Merritt
So, if I'm parsing this correctly, UCB mail managers had to specifically flag the phishing test email as non-spam?

I guess that the official spam override can not be trusted, then... :P

Envoyé avec Gmail Mobile

IMG_1965.jpg (64K) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] the irony....

aj craft
Sure looks that way...
aj

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Greg MERRITT <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, if I'm parsing this correctly, UCB mail managers had to specifically flag the phishing test email as non-spam?

I guess that the official spam override can not be trusted, then... :P

Envoyé avec Gmail Mobile

phising_email_spam_override.png (105K) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] the irony....

Richard DeShong-2
Not sure what you mean by "not trusted".  Provided that the process of making such a request is trusted, this would then imply that the spam override can be trusted.

The spam override does not imply that it is not spam, it just means that Berkeley asked Google to exempt this particular email from the spam filters.

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM, AJ Craft <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure looks that way...
aj

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Greg MERRITT <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, if I'm parsing this correctly, UCB mail managers had to specifically flag the phishing test email as non-spam?

I guess that the official spam override can not be trusted, then... :P

Envoyé avec Gmail Mobile

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] the irony....

paul rivers

At risk of being the guy who doesn't get the joke, I too don't get this
or what is ironic.

Phishers test these filters to learn how to get the phish emails
through. There is no solid technical way to prevent phishes. So, yes,
you cannot rely on any header or flag on the email as being definitive
for marking an email as spam or not.

For the awareness program, we didn't spend the time gaming the filters
since there's no value in us spending time on that. We asked the emails
go through, and so they did.

With the state of how email works everywhere today, there's no
alternative other than people learn to identify bogus emails, and
question when emails are requesting they take action.

Regards,
Paul