[Micronet] trouble mapping a drive to a Windows server on a Mac

[Micronet] trouble mapping a drive to a Windows server on a Mac

Roger Emond

We are having trouble connecting a PowerMac G4 to our new fileshare (Windows Server 2008). The Mac is running the 10.5.8 version of the OS. This Mac used to have a drive mapped to our old fileshare (Windows Server 2003) and it worked correctly. We recently moved to a new fileshare with a different path. When I try to map the same drive to this new server, I click on connect, enter the same AD credentials, and a box QUICKLY pops up saying "Sorry, you entered an invalid username or password." This machine can still connect to the old fileshare. I can also map a drive to the new fileshare on a MacBookPro (10.7.3) using the same AD credentials. Any ideas?

Re: [Micronet] trouble mapping a drive to a Windows server on a Mac

Ian Crew
Sounds like this is the same issue:

Also, since Apple isn't releasing security updates for 10.5.x any more, it's technically not compliant with the campus's minimum security standards, so it might be worth considering an upgrade....

Hope that helps,

Ian

On Jun 7, 2012, at 10:55 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

We are having trouble connecting a PowerMac G4 to our new fileshare (Windows Server 2008). The Mac is running the 10.5.8 version of the OS. This Mac used to have a drive mapped to our old fileshare (Windows Server 2003) and it worked correctly. We recently moved to a new fileshare with a different path. When I try to map the same drive to this new server, I click on connect, enter the same AD credentials, and a box QUICKLY pops up saying "Sorry, you entered an invalid username or password." This machine can still connect to the old fileshare. I can also map a drive to the new fileshare on a MacBookPro (10.7.3) using the same AD credentials. Any ideas?

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] trouble mapping a drive to a Windows server on a Mac

Tom Holub
On 6/7/12 11:10 AM, Mark Ingles wrote:

> OS X 10.5 has problems connecting to Windows shares due to authentication
> differences. There aren't any native settings to fix this, but a good
> workaround is to use this third party app:
>
> Thursby's ADmitMac
> http://www.thursby.com/products/admitmac.html
>
> However, you should be aware that OS X 10.5 doesn't meet campus security
> requirements as outlined in this article:
>
> https://security.berkeley.edu/content/mac-os-x-leopard-version-105-end-support

To be fully accurate, OS X 10.5 isn't known to meet campus security
requirements, because Apple doesn't publish life cycle roadmaps for its OSes.
 It seems that they usually drop support for the two-revisions-ago OS when a
new OS is released.  However, they did provide a security patch for 10.5's
Java, so it's not entirely unsupported.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] trouble mapping a drive to a Windows server on a Mac

Roger Emond
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. We'll pursue those solutions.

On 6/7/2012 11:14 AM, Tom Holub wrote:

> On 6/7/12 11:10 AM, Mark Ingles wrote:
>> OS X 10.5 has problems connecting to Windows shares due to authentication
>> differences. There aren't any native settings to fix this, but a good
>> workaround is to use this third party app:
>>
>> Thursby's ADmitMac
>> http://www.thursby.com/products/admitmac.html
>>
>> However, you should be aware that OS X 10.5 doesn't meet campus security
>> requirements as outlined in this article:
>>
>> https://security.berkeley.edu/content/mac-os-x-leopard-version-105-end-support
> To be fully accurate, OS X 10.5 isn't known to meet campus security
> requirements, because Apple doesn't publish life cycle roadmaps for its OSes.
>   It seems that they usually drop support for the two-revisions-ago OS when a
> new OS is released.  However, they did provide a security patch for 10.5's
> Java, so it's not entirely unsupported.

--
Roger Emond
Business/Tech Suppt Analyst 2
School of Social Welfare
Pocket of Excellence
University of California
120 Haviland Hall #7400
Berkeley CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] trouble mapping a drive to a Windows server on a Mac

Ryan Lovett
On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 11:14:59AM -0700, Tom Holub wrote:
> To be fully accurate, OS X 10.5 isn't known to meet campus security
> requirements, because Apple doesn't publish life cycle roadmaps for its OSes.
>  It seems that they usually drop support for the two-revisions-ago OS when a
> new OS is released.  However, they did provide a security patch for 10.5's
> Java, so it's not entirely unsupported.

If this trend holds, things will be that much more fun when Apple goes to
an annual release cycle.

Ryan

On Jun 7, 2012, at 1:50 PM, Ryan Lovett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If this trend holds, things will be that much more fun when Apple goes to
> an annual release cycle.

Yeah, exactly.  5 or 7 years ago I (with the help of our Apple system engineer at the time) kicked up a rather loud fuss about this.  My request wasn't that Apple change their OS support policies, just that they simply tell us, officially, what they are.  I know that the request made it at least as far as Phil Schiller's desk, but there was (obviously) never any response....

I don't have the time to make another attempt at this point, but maybe someone else does? (Let me know if you do--I can put you in touch with someone at UC Irvine that's interested in this too...)

Ian