[Micronet] undergrad database

Lawrence Huntley SWEET
Hello Micronet,

Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best way to get access to the campus undergrad database?

This is for my employers in the psych dept...I don't have any details yet regarding what fields are needed.

A replica of said DB is the goal (possibly in a format readily migratable to SQL).

Thanks,
Lawrence

Psychology Dept.

Re: [Micronet] undergrad database

Aron Roberts
Hi Lawrence,

> Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best way to get access to the
> campus undergrad database?

  In the absence of more detailed information about what types of
information might be needed by your employers, you may want to start
here:

  https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/display/calnet/LDAP+Overview

  There may well be restrictions on obtaining some of this
information, per the last paragraph of this overview.

  The kinds of information accessible via the campus LDAP directory
can be found here:

  https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/display/calnet/People+OU+-+Students
  and here
  https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/display/calnet/People+Attribute+Schema

Aron Roberts
IST-RIT

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Lawrence Huntley SWEET
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Micronet,
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best way to get access to the
> campus undergrad database?
>
> This is for my employers in the psych dept...I don't have any details yet
> regarding what fields are needed.
>
> A replica of said DB is the goal (possibly in a format readily migratable to
> SQL).
>
> Thanks,
> Lawrence
>

> Psychology Dept.

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] undergrad database

Max Michel

Hi Lawrence,

Depending on the specifics of your data needs, you may be able to take advantage of the Student subject areas in Cal Answers (http://calanswers.berkeley.edu/ ) which include student enrollment and curriculum information extracted from UC Berkeley’s Student database.

Regards,

Max Michel

IST – Enterprise Data Warehouse

Re: [Micronet] undergrad database

Tomo O'BRIEN
Hi Lawrence,

Once you have a better understanding of which data elements the Psych department needs and you've checked out the Cal Answers resources, you might want to also browse the APIs at Developer.Berkeley.Edu (https://developer.berkeley.edu/docs)

They are doing an outstanding job of making data accessible in a secure fashion so that departments don't have to run the risk and incur the cost of maintaining their own copies of sensitive or restricted data (https://security.berkeley.edu/node/86)

Cheers,

Tomo

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Lawrence Huntley SWEET <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Micronet,

Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best way to get access to the campus undergrad database?

This is for my employers in the psych dept...I don't have any details yet regarding what fields are needed.

A replica of said DB is the goal (possibly in a format readily migratable to SQL).

Thanks,
Lawrence

Psychology Dept.

Re: [Micronet] undergrad database

Lawrence Huntley SWEET
Dear All,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Follow up question: Anyone else encounter the "username must be at least 3 chars" error when attempting to register for an api key?
(the actual length of my attempted usernames were > 3 chars and included uppercase, lowercase, and a number).