[Micronet] update on the network funding model?

[Micronet] update on the network funding model?

Greg Merritt
I hear (*very* 3rd- or 4th-hand!) that the FTE-based funding model
that was targeted to be fully implemented for 2011-12 is now being
reconsidered, but I don't have any actual facts.

Is this so?  Are there any updates?  Or is this plan still locked in
at this point?

Re: [Micronet] update on the network funding model?

Tom Holub
On 12/3/10 12:09 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:
> I hear (*very* 3rd- or 4th-hand!) that the FTE-based funding model
> that was targeted to be fully implemented for 2011-12 is now being
> reconsidered, but I don't have any actual facts.
>
> Is this so?  Are there any updates?  Or is this plan still locked in
>  at this point?

I think you read the original communications incorrectly.  They did not
say the network model as proposed would be fully implemented for
2011-12; they only said that the chancellor had agreed to buy out the
model for 2010-11.

I don't think the work is being done which would be necessary to
implement the proposed network funding model in 2011-12.  It seems
likely to me that network funding will be rolled up into whatever common
good funding mechanism OE comes up with, and the previous proposal will
be scrapped.  The costing mechanism may be retained, but the funding
mechanism will be something different.

[Speaking as an outside observer who is not privy to any conversations
on the matter.]

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science