[Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

gartim
Has anyone tried a linux laptop with airbears...tried 2 with Mint Linux
using these guidelines, nada!

1) Get an AirBears2 key. Instructions here.

2) Open wicd-client (wicd-gtk) or wicd-curses and find AirBears2 in the
manager. In wicd, there will be several AirBears2 networks available.
Choose the one with the best signal.

3)Go into the Properties (Config on wicd-curses) for AirBears2 and for
the encryption, select PEAP with GTC. Enter your Calnet ID for the
identity and the key you generated earlier for the password.

4) Save the settings. You should now be able to connect to AirBears2.

Any guidance accepted!

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

Tom Salinaro
I haven't tried on Mint.

These are the settings that work for me on Ubuntu 14.04 using the default GUI network manager:
Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
Anonymous identity: Calnet ID
CA certificate: None
PEAP version: Auto
Inner authentication: MSCHAPv2
Username: Calnet ID
Password: your key

I based it off the the Android settings article:
https://berkeley.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0010271

On 10/27/2015 09:54 AM, gartim wrote:
Has anyone tried a linux laptop with airbears...tried 2 with Mint Linux
using these guidelines, nada!

1) Get an AirBears2 key. Instructions here.

2) Open wicd-client (wicd-gtk) or wicd-curses and find AirBears2 in the
manager. In wicd, there will be several AirBears2 networks available.
Choose the one with the best signal.

3)Go into the Properties (Config on wicd-curses) for AirBears2 and for
the encryption, select PEAP with GTC. Enter your Calnet ID for the
identity and the key you generated earlier for the password.

4) Save the settings. You should now be able to connect to AirBears2.

Any guidance accepted!

Tom Salinaro
UC Berkeley
Physical Education Program
200 Hearst Gym

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

Philip Ardery
I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on an old MacBook Pro and I am able to connect to Airbears2 with the credentials/key that I created via your step 1.  I did not custom configure the encryption settings.  When I initiate the connection, I am warned that no certificate authority cert is chosen, but am allowed to simply ignore this and continue and connect.  The default configurations I am using are:

MTU: automatic
IPv4 Method: Automatic (DHCP)
IPv6 Method
: Automatic
Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
CA certificate: (None)
Authentication: Tunnelled TLS           (not PEAP)
Inner Authentication: MSCHAPv2

Phil

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM, gartim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone tried a linux laptop with airbears...tried 2 with Mint Linux
using these guidelines, nada!

1) Get an AirBears2 key. Instructions here.

2) Open wicd-client (wicd-gtk) or wicd-curses and find AirBears2 in the
manager. In wicd, there will be several AirBears2 networks available.
Choose the one with the best signal.

3)Go into the Properties (Config on wicd-curses) for AirBears2 and for
the encryption, select PEAP with GTC. Enter your Calnet ID for the
identity and the key you generated earlier for the password.

4) Save the settings. You should now be able to connect to AirBears2.

Any guidance accepted!

Philip Ardery
Web Applications Programmer
UC Berkeley College of Engineering
510 642-1326

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

My ancient Inspiron E1505 running Zorin (Ubuntu derivation) is using
WPA/WPA2, EAP-TTLS, MSCHAPV2. It usually hunts a bit before it finds
AirBears2, but it works.

I used the GUI on this system, and I remember I had to reset it when the
AirBears certificates changed recently.

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

gartim
no luck, could be a borked network-manager. I'll do a fresh install and
retry, thanks!

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:25:19AM -0700, Tom Salinaro wrote:

>   I haven't tried on Mint.
>
>   These are the settings that work for me on Ubuntu 14.04 using the default
>   GUI network manager:
>   Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
>   Anonymous identity: Calnet ID
>   CA certificate: None
>   PEAP version: Auto
>   Inner authentication: MSCHAPv2
>   Username: Calnet ID
>   Password: your key
>
>   I based it off the the Android settings article:
>   https://berkeley.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0010271
>
>   On 10/27/2015 09:54 AM, gartim wrote:
>
> Has anyone tried a linux laptop with airbears...tried 2 with Mint Linux
> using these guidelines, nada!
>
> 1) Get an AirBears2 key. Instructions here.
>
> 2) Open wicd-client (wicd-gtk) or wicd-curses and find AirBears2 in the
> manager. In wicd, there will be several AirBears2 networks available.
> Choose the one with the best signal.
>
> 3)Go into the Properties (Config on wicd-curses) for AirBears2 and for
> the encryption, select PEAP with GTC. Enter your Calnet ID for the
> identity and the key you generated earlier for the password.
>
> 4) Save the settings. You should now be able to connect to AirBears2.
>
> Any guidance accepted!

> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the [hidden email] list.
>
> --
> Tom Salinaro
> UC Berkeley
> Physical Education Program
> 200 Hearst Gym

>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>
>ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the [hidden email] list.

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

John McChesney-Young
Before doing a fresh install you might try one of these ideas:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/79546/why-is-the-edit-button-greyed-out-in-network-manager

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

gartim
been having problems on this laptop with nm-applet, can seem to get it
connect. tried a lot of different things off the web, no dice. Finally I
just install wicd and was able to browse SSIDs, etc and select, but none
of the settings work. Its an older (maybe 5years old) HP laptop,
Intel Corp Centrino Advanced-N 6200 2x2 AGN card, should be fine.

g.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:41:19AM -0700, John McChesney-Young wrote:

>Before doing a fresh install you might try one of these ideas:
>
>https://askubuntu.com/questions/79546/why-is-the-edit-button-greyed-out-in-network-manager
>
>John
>
>On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM, gartim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> no luck, could be a borked network-manager. I'll do a fresh install and
>> retry, thanks!
>

>--
>John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
>History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
>U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
>[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

Drew Mason
You might want to check if the avahi-daemon is running, and if so disable it.  I've dealt with a couple of Ubuntu machines where the daemon interfered with the network-manager connecting to AirBears2.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM, gartim <[hidden email]> wrote:
been having problems on this laptop with nm-applet, can seem to get it
connect. tried a lot of different things off the web, no dice. Finally I
just install wicd and was able to browse SSIDs, etc and select, but none
of the settings work. Its an older (maybe 5years old) HP laptop,
Intel Corp Centrino Advanced-N 6200 2x2 AGN card, should be fine.

g.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:41:19AM -0700, John McChesney-Young wrote:
>Before doing a fresh install you might try one of these ideas:
>
>https://askubuntu.com/questions/79546/why-is-the-edit-button-greyed-out-in-network-manager
>
>John
>
>On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM, gartim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> no luck, could be a borked network-manager. I'll do a fresh install and
>> retry, thanks!
>

>--
>John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
>History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
>U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
>[hidden email] // voice <a href="tel:1-510-642-5511" value="+15106425511">1-510-642-5511 // fax <a href="tel:1-510-643-2185" value="+15106432185">1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

gartim
okay, still no luck:

- removed avahi-daemon
- tried PEAP with GTC            (failed)
- tried PEAP with TKIP/MSCHAPV2  (failed)
- WPA2-PEAP                      (needs a domain?)

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:59:58AM -0700, Drew Mason wrote:

>   You might want to check if the avahi-daemon is running, and if so disable
>   it.A  I've dealt with a couple of Ubuntu machines where the daemon
>   interfered with the network-manager connecting to AirBears2.
>   On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM, gartim <[hidden email]>
>   wrote:
>
>     been having problems on this laptop with nm-applet, can seem to get it
>     connect. tried a lot of different things off the web, no dice. Finally I
>     just install wicd and was able to browse SSIDs, etc and select, but none
>     of the settings work. Its an older (maybe 5years old) HP laptop,
>     Intel Corp Centrino Advanced-N 6200 2x2 AGN card, should be fine.
>     g.
>     On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:41:19AM -0700, John McChesney-Young wrote:
>     >Before doing a fresh install you might try one of these ideas:
>     >
>     >https://askubuntu.com/questions/79546/why-is-the-edit-button-greyed-out-in-network-manager
>     >
>     >John
>     >
>     >On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM, gartim <[hidden email]>
>     wrote:
>     >> no luck, could be a borked network-manager. I'll do a fresh install
>     and
>     >> retry, thanks!
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >--
>     >John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
>     >History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
>     >U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
>     >[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>     and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.A
>     This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>     prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>
>     ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use
>     the [hidden email] list.

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

jon kuroda-2
for debugging WPA/WPA2 setups under linux, I have had the best luck by
disabling/kneecapping/uninstalling NetworkMangler^wManager and anything
else that gets in between wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant.conf.

This includes avahi-daemon, the D-Bus interface, and anything else I
can find that gets in between me typing into a human-readable file
and wpa_supplicant doing what I say via that file.

This works so well that I just run this way all the time.  But I'm an
old(er), grumpier not-quite-grey-beard.  But hopefully this breaks
out the necessary config bits in a way that can be abstracted away
from whatever your linux distribution is doing.

The config stanza from /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
        ssid="AirBears2"
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        identity="YourCalNetFriendlyID"
        # I should probably update this to some newer CA Cert
        ca_cert="/etc/pki/tls/certs/COMODOHigh-AssuranceSecureServerCA.crt"
        phase1="peaplabel=0"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
        priority=9
}

This config also works for eduroam
network={
        ssid="eduroam"
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        identity="[hidden email]"
        # I should probably update this to some newer CA Cert
        # This CA cert may not work at other eduroam sites
        ca_cert="/etc/pki/tls/certs/COMODOHigh-AssuranceSecureServerCA.crt"
        phase1="peaplabel=0"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
        priority=10
}

The priority line lets me say "if AirBears2 available, use that
preferentially over eduroam"

--Jon

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:16:52AM -0700, gartim wrote:

> okay, still no luck:
>
> - removed avahi-daemon
> - tried PEAP with GTC            (failed)
> - tried PEAP with TKIP/MSCHAPV2  (failed)
> - WPA2-PEAP                      (needs a domain?)
>

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:59:58AM -0700, Drew Mason wrote:
> >   You might want to check if the avahi-daemon is running, and if so disable
> >   it.A  I've dealt with a couple of Ubuntu machines where the daemon
> >   interfered with the network-manager connecting to AirBears2.
> >   On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM, gartim <[hidden email]>
> >   wrote:
> >
> >     been having problems on this laptop with nm-applet, can seem to get it
> >     connect. tried a lot of different things off the web, no dice. Finally I
> >     just install wicd and was able to browse SSIDs, etc and select, but none
> >     of the settings work. Its an older (maybe 5years old) HP laptop,
> >     Intel Corp Centrino Advanced-N 6200 2x2 AGN card, should be fine.
> >     g.
> >     On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:41:19AM -0700, John McChesney-Young wrote:
> >     >Before doing a fresh install you might try one of these ideas:
> >     >
> >     >https://askubuntu.com/questions/79546/why-is-the-edit-button-greyed-out-in-network-manager
> >     >
> >     >John
> >     >
> >     >On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM, gartim <[hidden email]>
> >     wrote:
> >     >> no luck, could be a borked network-manager. I'll do a fresh install
> >     and
> >     >> retry, thanks!
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >--
> >     >John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
> >     >History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
> >     >U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
> >     >[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

> >     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> >
> >     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> >     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> >     and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.A
> >     This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
> >     prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
> >
> >     ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use
> >     the [hidden email] list.

> ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the [hidden email] list.

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

gartim
okay, got it to work by reinstall, must have been an upgrade that blew
the un-nerving stack of software it now take to connect an interface
(imho).

settings:
--------
SSID: AirBears2
Mode: Infrastructure
Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
Athentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
PEAP version: Automatic
Inner authentication: MSCHAPv2
Username: me
Password: ***********

Thanks for all the response! Do appreciate!

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:54:50AM -0700, gartim wrote:

>Has anyone tried a linux laptop with airbears...tried 2 with Mint Linux
>using these guidelines, nada!
>
>1) Get an AirBears2 key. Instructions here.
>
>2) Open wicd-client (wicd-gtk) or wicd-curses and find AirBears2 in the
>manager. In wicd, there will be several AirBears2 networks available.
>Choose the one with the best signal.
>
>3)Go into the Properties (Config on wicd-curses) for AirBears2 and for
>the encryption, select PEAP with GTC. Enter your Calnet ID for the
>identity and the key you generated earlier for the password.
>
>4) Save the settings. You should now be able to connect to AirBears2.
>
>Any guidance accepted!

Re: [Micronet] using AirBears2 with Linux.

Sean McMahon
Hi,

We have a CSS-IT ServiceNow KnowledgeBase article regarding Airbears2 and Linux posted here :

Best regards,

Sean