[Micronet] vmware pricing

Micah Priddy

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had the contact info for the campus vmware rep?  Thanks.

·························································

Micah Priddy

Analyst, Systems & Support

··························································

Cal Alumni Association

UC Berkeley

1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720

T 510.643.0237

F 510.642.6252

—————————————————–

Visit alumni.berkeley.edu

—————————————————–

Re: [Micronet] vmware pricing

Burke Bundy
Hi Micah,

Not sure this is current or accurate but I have:

Matt Eickmann
650.427.5118
[hidden email]

I also think you can get UC Berkeley discounts for some VMware products at:

http://www.ships.shi.com/go/ucberkeley

Hope this helps,
Burke

> Hello,
>

> I was wondering if anyone had the contact info for the campus vmware
> rep?  Thanks.

> Micah Priddy
>
> Analyst, Systems & Support

> Cal Alumni Association
>
> UC Berkeley
>
> 1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> T 510.643.0237
>
> F 510.642.6252
>
> ------------------
>
> Visit alumni.berkeley.edu

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] vmware pricing

Seth Novogrodsky
You can get VMware from SHI at <http://www.ships.shi.com/go/ucberkeley>.  You will need to register there to set up an account if you don't have one.

The SHI account manager is:

Amanda Moler – Account Manager

Seth

On 8/3/2011 12:37 PM, Micah Priddy wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had the contact info for the campus vmware rep?  Thanks.

·························································

Micah Priddy

Analyst, Systems & Support

··························································

Cal Alumni Association

UC Berkeley

1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720

T 510.643.0237

F 510.642.6252

—————————————————–

Visit alumni.berkeley.edu

—————————————————–

Seth Novogrodsky, Letters & Science Computing Resources
http://ls.berkeley.edu/lscr/who/staff/seth

Re: [Micronet] VMware pricing

Kevin Newman-3

You want to get VMware pricing from SHI, they are cheaper than VMware.

You may also want to talk to IST as you can get VMware services from them even to the point of just getting your own blade.

Re: [Micronet] VMware pricing

Forrest St. John Smalley

If you don’t want to use the IST shared VMWare service, you can look at pricing an IST Managed ESX host. The price includes the VMware license.

http://estimator.berkeley.edu/istcolo.aspx

You want to get VMware pricing from SHI, they are cheaper than VMware.

You may also want to talk to IST as you can get VMware services from them even to the point of just getting your own blade.

[Micronet] ipv6 in apache2 - hitting limit in number of vhosts

Gary Casterline
After enabling ipv6 on our webserver I find that I cannot add the ipv6
address on more than 16 virtualhosts.  All is well until I add the ipv6
address to the 17th vhost --  apache stops serving up anything.

How do others implement ipv6 in apache2?

I added another Listen directive:

Listen 169.229.201.201:80
Listen [2607:f140:0:8000::201]:80

and duplicated each VirtualHost stanza,  just changing the first line from

<VirtualHost 169.229.201.201:80>
<VirtualHost [2607:f140:0:8000::201]:80>

I can't seem to make google give up the secret.

  _Gary

Re: [Micronet] vmware pricing

Marilyn Saarni-2
The last notice (5/13/11) I got from VMWare's team is that they were undergoing transitions.

For the interim, here's the contact info they provided:

Support:    VMware Support Hotline  •  877-486-9273

Sales-related issues: Matt Eickmann  •  650-427-5118 (Palo Alto CA)
Matt Eickmann <[hidden email]>

Technical-related issues: Sudhansu Pati  •  831-295-8900
Sudhansu Pati <[hidden email]>

On Aug 3, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Burke Bundy wrote:

[...]

prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] ipv6 in apache2 - hitting limit in number of vhosts

Erik Klavon
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 04:40:41PM -0700, Gary Casterline wrote:

> After enabling ipv6 on our webserver I find that I cannot add the ipv6
> address on more than 16 virtualhosts.  All is well until I add the ipv6
> address to the 17th vhost --  apache stops serving up anything.
>
> How do others implement ipv6 in apache2?
>
> I added another Listen directive:
>
> Listen 169.229.201.201:80
> Listen [2607:f140:0:8000::201]:80
>
> and duplicated each VirtualHost stanza,  just changing the first line from
>
> <VirtualHost 169.229.201.201:80>
> <VirtualHost [2607:f140:0:8000::201]:80>
>
> I can't seem to make google give up the secret.

What platform are you running apache on? What configuration options
were used when Apache was built? Is there a reason you're specifying
each IP address to listen on, rather than allowing Apache to listen
for connections on all configured IP addresses and then using name
based virtual hosts? If you're doing this because you have different
SSL sites each with their own certificates, you could use a Subject
Alternative Name certificate to include all common names, or Server
Name Indication if you're serving a client base that supports it.

Erik

Re: [Micronet] ipv6 in apache2 - hitting limit in number of vhosts [SOLVED]

Gary Casterline
Thanks for the help.  Aron Roberts wins this one:

On 08/03/2011 05:25 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:
 > Hi Gary,
 >
 >    One thing to rule out, even if it may be irrelevant to your
 > situation: if you've added these new ipv6 virtual hosts to a sizeable
 > number of virtual hosts that were already present in your Apache
 > configuration, is it possible that - however remote the possibility -
 > a file descriptor limit might have been exceeded?
 >
 >    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/fd-limits.html
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Aron

I had indeed hit a file descriptor limit on Solaris.  By reorganizing
the way logs are written,  I can economize on fd usage and keep apache
rolling.

Erik Klavon made some suggestions on ways to configure the vhosts:
On 08/05/2011 08:48 AM, Erik Klavon wrote:

 > What platform are you running apache on? What configuration options
 > were used when Apache was built? Is there a reason you're specifying
 > each IP address to listen on, rather than allowing Apache to listen
 > for connections on all configured IP addresses and then using name
 > based virtual hosts? If you're doing this because you have different
 > SSL sites each with their own certificates, you could use a Subject
 > Alternative Name certificate to include all common names, or Server
 > Name Indication if you're serving a client base that supports it.
 >
 > Erik

Thanks again,

  _Gary

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 04:02:20PM -0700, Gary Casterline wrote:

> Thanks for the help.  Aron Roberts wins this one:
>
> On 08/03/2011 05:25 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:
>  >    One thing to rule out, even if it may be irrelevant to your
>  > situation: if you've added these new ipv6 virtual hosts to a sizeable
>  > number of virtual hosts that were already present in your Apache
>  > configuration, is it possible that - however remote the possibility -
>  > a file descriptor limit might have been exceeded?
>  >
>  >    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/fd-limits.html
>
> I had indeed hit a file descriptor limit on Solaris.  By reorganizing
> the way logs are written,  I can economize on fd usage and keep apache
> rolling.

I was wondering about this, hence my question regarding what platform
you were running on. One way you might be able to economize on fd
usage further is to use IPv4 mapping onto IPv6 sockets, but you may
need to compile this in if you're using a build that doesn't include
this option (hence my question about configuration options):

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/bind.html#ipv6

Erik