[Micronet] vpn client configuration?

tedcrum
When I install the VPN client on a Windows machine, say a laptop that
a faculty member will be taking home, can't really finish the job correctly.

Either I have to put a Post-it on the screen, reminding the user to
us ucbvpn.berkeley.edu when they first connect (not very professional
or error proof), or I have to connect using my own CalNet credentials
to get that host name cached in the client. This also caches my
Calnet ID, which I don't want and which could lead to user confusion.

I assume this happens because IST has no way to Berkeley-ize the
installer to bake in the VPN server name.

Is there something I can do at my end to clean this up?

Also, for a while I had to use ucbvpn-1-external to get it to work,
but that seems not to be the case. That host still does work. ?????

-Ted Crum
  Psychology

Re: [Micronet] vpn client configuration?

Isaac Orr-2
Hi Ted,

I've forwarded this to my folks via [hidden email], since they may not all be paying attention to Micronet.  I don't have the time myself right now to research the answers enough to make sure I'm not giving you inaccurate answers.  You should get a response soon.

iso

On Aug 30, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Ted Crum wrote:

> When I install the VPN client on a Windows machine, say a laptop that
> a faculty member will be taking home, can't really finish the job correctly.
>
> Either I have to put a Post-it on the screen, reminding the user to
> us ucbvpn.berkeley.edu when they first connect (not very professional
> or error proof), or I have to connect using my own CalNet credentials
> to get that host name cached in the client. This also caches my
> Calnet ID, which I don't want and which could lead to user confusion.
>
> I assume this happens because IST has no way to Berkeley-ize the
> installer to bake in the VPN server name.
>
> Is there something I can do at my end to clean this up?
>
> Also, for a while I had to use ucbvpn-1-external to get it to work,
> but that seems not to be the case. That host still does work. ?????
>
> -Ted Crum
>  Psychology

---
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] vpn client configuration?

Jonathan Felder-2
A search of the registry for ucbvpn.berkeley.edu would probably reveal
the registry key that is set for this.  You could then export the key to
a .reg file which could be double clicked after future installs are
performed.

--
Jon

On 8/30/12 11:50 AM, Ted Crum wrote:

> When I install the VPN client on a Windows machine, say a laptop that
> a faculty member will be taking home, can't really finish the job correctly.
>
> Either I have to put a Post-it on the screen, reminding the user to
> us ucbvpn.berkeley.edu when they first connect (not very professional
> or error proof), or I have to connect using my own CalNet credentials
> to get that host name cached in the client. This also caches my
> Calnet ID, which I don't want and which could lead to user confusion.
>
> I assume this happens because IST has no way to Berkeley-ize the
> installer to bake in the VPN server name.
>
> Is there something I can do at my end to clean this up?
>
> Also, for a while I had to use ucbvpn-1-external to get it to work,
> but that seems not to be the case. That host still does work. ?????
>
> -Ted Crum
>    Psychology

Re: [Micronet] vpn client configuration?

tedcrum
Thanks.  But, it's not there. Neither is my Calnet name, which I would erase.

-tc

At 10:29 AM 9/4/2012, you wrote:

>A search of the registry for ucbvpn.berkeley.edu would probably reveal
>the registry key that is set for this.  You could then export the key to
>a .reg file which could be double clicked after future installs are
>performed.
>
>--
>Jon
>
>On 8/30/12 11:50 AM, Ted Crum wrote:
> > When I install the VPN client on a Windows machine, say a laptop that
> > a faculty member will be taking home, can't really finish the job
> correctly.
> >
> > Either I have to put a Post-it on the screen, reminding the user to
> > us ucbvpn.berkeley.edu when they first connect (not very professional
> > or error proof), or I have to connect using my own CalNet credentials
> > to get that host name cached in the client. This also caches my
> > Calnet ID, which I don't want and which could lead to user confusion.
> >
> > I assume this happens because IST has no way to Berkeley-ize the
> > installer to bake in the VPN server name.
> >
> > Is there something I can do at my end to clean this up?
> >
> > Also, for a while I had to use ucbvpn-1-external to get it to work,
> > but that seems not to be the case. That host still does work. ?????
> >
> > -Ted Crum
> >    Psychology

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> >
> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] vpn client configuration?

Keenan Parmelee
Hi Ted,

I'm still new to campus and haven't seen what VPN client is used, but I
do know that a lot of Cisco and/or Sonicwall VPN clients save profiles
to their Program Files directory.  If you have a saved profile, you can
check there and possibly copy to new machines upon installation of the
client.

--
Keenan Parmelee
Technical Services Manager

On 10:46 Tue 04 Sep     , Ted Crum wrote:

> Thanks.  But, it's not there. Neither is my Calnet name, which I would erase.
>
> -tc
>

> At 10:29 AM 9/4/2012, you wrote:
> >A search of the registry for ucbvpn.berkeley.edu would probably reveal
> >the registry key that is set for this.  You could then export the key to
> >a .reg file which could be double clicked after future installs are
> >performed.
> >
> >--
> >Jon
> >
> >On 8/30/12 11:50 AM, Ted Crum wrote:
> > > When I install the VPN client on a Windows machine, say a laptop that
> > > a faculty member will be taking home, can't really finish the job
> > correctly.
> > >
> > > Either I have to put a Post-it on the screen, reminding the user to
> > > us ucbvpn.berkeley.edu when they first connect (not very professional
> > > or error proof), or I have to connect using my own CalNet credentials
> > > to get that host name cached in the client. This also caches my
> > > Calnet ID, which I don't want and which could lead to user confusion.
> > >
> > > I assume this happens because IST has no way to Berkeley-ize the
> > > installer to bake in the VPN server name.
> > >
> > > Is there something I can do at my end to clean this up?
> > >
> > > Also, for a while I had to use ucbvpn-1-external to get it to work,
> > > but that seems not to be the case. That host still does work. ?????
> > >
> > > -Ted Crum
> > >    Psychology

> > upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> > >
> > > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> > >
> > > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> > world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> > on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> > others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> > known you in the past.

> >meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> >
> >http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> >Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> >world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> >on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> >others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> >known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] vpn client configuration?

Corino_27
That was helpful answer. Keep sharing helpful posts. Anyway, I also need some suggestions for best vpn for android that I want to use with my university proxy. Do both these things (VPN and proxy) work together? If yes, please help me to choose a good paid VPN!