[Micronet] website publishing legal questions

[Micronet] website publishing legal questions

Roger Emond

(I know this question might seem more relevant to webnet, but I know some of those folks are also on Micronet, and I wanted to address a larger pool of potential respondents.)

We have two legal questions related to web publishing:

1.       When researchers publish journal articles, some are required to sign an Assignment of Copyright to the publisher. If faculty want to post pdfs of their published articles on their web page, do we need to get permission from the publisher?

2.       How do people handle crediting photos? Does a credit in the title tag that pops up on mouse over meet the requirements?

Thanks in advance!

--

Roger Emond

Business/Tech Suppt Analyst 2

School of Social Welfare

Pocket of Excellence

University of California

120 Haviland Hall #7400

Berkeley CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] website publishing legal questions

Greg Merritt

On Aug 3, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Roger Emond wrote:

> 1.       When researchers publish journal articles, some are required to sign an Assignment of Copyright to the publisher. If faculty want to post pdfs of their published articles on their web page, do we need to get permission from the publisher?

Can o' worms, this one!

http://etechlib.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/about-the-elsevier-controversy-and-essential-science/

Re: [Micronet] website publishing legal questions

Christopher Brooks
I've found that your mileage varies about journals.  Each publisher has
different rules and the rules change over time.

I have possibly out of date notes for EECS-oriented publications at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/chess/faq/28.html

I think it is bigger than a can o' worms, more like a quagmire.  The
publishers can't be too hard on the
authors, but the publishers need to make money somehow.  I'd rather not
get in to the pros and cons
of the situation and focus on what to do.

As a someone who maintains publications, it is up to me to help the
authors make the right choices.

I'm not a lawyer, but when it comes to using photos, my gut level
feeling is that rollover does not cut it for credit.
I think it is best to have credit text at the bottom with a link back to
the original location.  Even better
is to include the license and a link to the license.

There are ton of copyright resources at Berkeley, start with
https://security.berkeley.edu/content/copyright-regulations-and-resources

In particular, fair use is very tricky.  I've also seen IP lawyers
misapply the term  "public domain".

_Christopher

On 8/3/12 9:26 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Roger Emond wrote:
>
>> 1.       When researchers publish journal articles, some are required to sign an Assignment of Copyright to the publisher. If faculty want to post pdfs of their published articles on their web page, do we need to get permission from the publisher?
>
> Can o' worms, this one!
>
> http://etechlib.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/about-the-elsevier-controversy-and-essential-science/
>
> -Greg

Christopher Brooks, PMP                       University of California
CHESS Executive Director                      US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
Programmer/Analyst CHESS/Ptolemy/Trust        Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670

Re: [Micronet] website publishing legal questions

Lynne Grigsby
The library has pages on this.  Including  trying to get faculty to not sign over rights. I am not a computer but send a link to the info later today. Lynne

Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS Network

I've found that your mileage varies about journals.  Each publisher has
different rules and the rules change over time.

I have possibly out of date notes for EECS-oriented publications at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/chess/faq/28.html

I think it is bigger than a can o' worms, more like a quagmire.  The
publishers can't be too hard on the
authors, but the publishers need to make money somehow.  I'd rather not
get in to the pros and cons
of the situation and focus on what to do.

As a someone who maintains publications, it is up to me to help the
authors make the right choices.

I'm not a lawyer, but when it comes to using photos, my gut level
feeling is that rollover does not cut it for credit.
I think it is best to have credit text at the bottom with a link back to
the original location.  Even better
is to include the license and a link to the license.

There are ton of copyright resources at Berkeley, start with
https://security.berkeley.edu/content/copyright-regulations-and-resources

In particular, fair use is very tricky.  I've also seen IP lawyers
misapply the term  "public domain".

_Christopher

On 8/3/12 9:26 AM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Roger Emond wrote:
>
>> 1.       When researchers publish journal articles, some are required to sign an Assignment of Copyright to the publisher. If faculty want to post pdfs of their published articles on their web page, do we need to get permission from the publisher?
>
> Can o' worms, this one!
>
> http://etechlib.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/about-the-elsevier-controversy-and-essential-science/
>
> -Greg

Christopher Brooks, PMP                       University of California
CHESS Executive Director                      US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
Programmer/Analyst CHESS/Ptolemy/Trust        Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670

Re: [Micronet] website publishing legal questions

Aron Roberts
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The library has pages on this.  Including  trying to get faculty to not sign over rights. I am not a computer but send a link to the info later today. Lynne

  A possible starting place for the page(s) that Lynne mentioned:

  http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/scholarlycommunication/manage_your_rights.html

Aron Roberts
Research & Content Technologies

> Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS Network

Thank you Aron - -that was it.  The library has done a lot of work on
this and deals a lot with intellectual property and fair rights. I deal
with digital content so have had to learn more than I ever wanted to
know. :)
Lynne