[Micronet] who at IST resets password for @berkeley.edu Google accounts?

Greg Merritt

I sometimes get Google calendar invitations sent to my @berkeley.edu address.  However, I associated it with Google ages ago, didn't use it, and have forgotten the password.

I am forbidden to reset it...

Password information for berkeley.edu
Please contact your domain IT administrator to reset your password or retrieve your username. Learn more.
If you are an account administrator for berkeley.edu , you can reset your administrator password.
Did you type your email address incorrectly? Try again.

...so I'm locked out.

Who is managing this on campus?

Thanks!

-Greg, who, embarrassingly, cannot confirm participation in meetings with external funders...!

[Micronet] let me try this again... (was Re: who at IST resets password for @berkeley.edu Google accounts?)

Greg Merritt

Thanks to everyone who responded to me directly.

I may not have represented my issue clearly.

I am not asking anything whatsoever about CalNetID authentication to CalMail.

Imagine for a moment that I was trying to access a Facebook account with my [hidden email] address, but forgot my password.  When I went to reset, imagine that Facebook responded with the message:

"Facebook has an agreement with the owner of @berkeley.edu e-mail to have all @berkeley.edu e-mail users check with their company's administrators for access management to their Facebook account."

Substitute Google (Google calendar in particular), and you'll have my exact problem.

*So*, who at UCB is at the controls of the relationship of @berkeley.edu e-mail with Google authentication for the berkeley.edu domain?

Is it the people who are looking at the outsourcing of our e-mail?

(If not, they'll probably want to wrestle control of this from whoever does have it...)

Thanks!

-Greg

Le Nov 18, 2011 à 11:39, Greg Merritt <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I sometimes get Google calendar invitations sent to my @berkeley.edu address.  However, I associated it with Google ages ago, didn't use it, and have forgotten the password.
>
> I am forbidden to reset it...

> Password information for berkeley.edu
> Please contact your domain IT administrator to reset your password or retrieve your username. Learn more.
> If you are an account administrator for berkeley.edu , you can reset your administrator password.
> Did you type your email address incorrectly? Try again.
>
> ...so I'm locked out.
>
> Who is managing this on campus?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Greg, who, embarrassingly, cannot confirm participation in meetings with external funders...!

Re: [Micronet] let me try this again... (was Re: who at IST resets password for @berkeley.edu Google accounts?)

Aron Roberts

Back on 5/26/2010, Erik Klavon wrote, in response to a similar query:
> The contact address for google apps related to the berkeley.edu domain is [hidden email]. Please send your specific request to this address.

  I don't know whether that is still the case, but that's the sole
mention of this topic that I could find.

Aron Roberts
Information Services and Technology

Re: [Micronet] let me try this again... (was Re: who at IST resets password for @berkeley.edu Google accounts?)

Isaac Orr-2
Having checked with the folks who respond to email to [hidden email],
it is my understanding that we used to have some involvement with this,
but do not any longer.

The information I have is that we may have handed this over to Paul
Fisher and/or the calmail team.

Thanks

iso

On 11/18/11 4:17 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Greg Merritt<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> *So*, who at UCB is at the controls of the relationship of
>> @berkeley.edu e-mail with Google authentication for the
>> berkeley.edu domain?
>
> Back on 5/26/2010, Erik Klavon wrote, in response to a similar
> query:
>> The contact address for google apps related to the berkeley.edu
>> domain is [hidden email]. Please send your specific request to
>> this address.
>
> I don't know whether that is still the case, but that's the sole
> mention of this topic that I could find.
>
> Aron Roberts Information Services and Technology

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the
> past.

Re: [Micronet] let me try this again... (was Re: who at IST resets password for @berkeley.edu Google accounts?)

Erik Klavon
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 04:29:36PM -0800, Isaac Orr wrote:

> On 11/18/11 4:17 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Greg Merritt<[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> *So*, who at UCB is at the controls of the relationship of
> >> @berkeley.edu e-mail with Google authentication for the
> >> berkeley.edu domain?
> >
> > Back on 5/26/2010, Erik Klavon wrote, in response to a similar
> > query:
> >> The contact address for google apps related to the berkeley.edu
> >> domain is [hidden email]. Please send your specific request to
> >> this address.
> >
> > I don't know whether that is still the case, but that's the sole
> > mention of this topic that I could find.
>
> Having checked with the folks who respond to email to [hidden email],
> it is my understanding that we used to have some involvement with this,
> but do not any longer.
>
> The information I have is that we may have handed this over to Paul
> Fisher and/or the calmail team.

We transferred control over to the CalMail folks so they could gather
data at the request of Bill Allison for the OE productivity suite
effort. Bill and/or the OE productivity suite team may also have an
idea of where that control now rests.

Erik

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Erik Klavon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We transferred control over to the CalMail folks so they could gather
> data at the request of Bill Allison for the OE productivity suite
> effort. Bill and/or the OE productivity suite team may also have an
> idea of where that control now rests.

  Thanks for checking on this, Isaac and Erik, and your updates.

  Greg - a suggestion: you might try sending your Google Apps at
Berkeley domain password reset request to CalMail Consulting at
[hidden email]; as either they are now handling this or they
should be able to provide you with an appropriate referral.  (You
might mention in your request that if they don't have direct
information about this, they might check with the OE Productivity
Suite folks.)

Best of luck!
Aron

> Thanks
>
> iso
>

> On 11/18/11 4:17 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Greg Merritt<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> *So*, who at UCB is at the controls of the relationship of
>>> @berkeley.edu e-mail with Google authentication for the
>>> berkeley.edu domain?
>>
>> Back on 5/26/2010, Erik Klavon wrote, in response to a similar
>> query:
>>> The contact address for google apps related to the berkeley.edu
>>> domain is [hidden email]. Please send your specific request to
>>> this address.
>>
>> I don't know whether that is still the case, but that's the sole
>> mention of this topic that I could find.
>>
>> Aron Roberts Information Services and Technology

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
>> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the
>> past.

Re: [Micronet] let me try this again... (was Re: who at IST resets password for @berkeley.edu Google accounts?)

Greg Merritt
Whew, wow!

Ok, thanks, everyone!  I'll give it a try. :)

-Greg

On Nov 18, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Isaac Orr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Having checked with the folks who respond to email to [hidden email],
>> it is my understanding that we used to have some involvement with this,
>> but do not any longer.
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Erik Klavon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We transferred control over to the CalMail folks so they could gather
>> data at the request of Bill Allison for the OE productivity suite
>> effort. Bill and/or the OE productivity suite team may also have an
>> idea of where that control now rests.
>
>  Thanks for checking on this, Isaac and Erik, and your updates.
>
>  Greg - a suggestion: you might try sending your Google Apps at
> Berkeley domain password reset request to CalMail Consulting at
> [hidden email]; as either they are now handling this or they
> should be able to provide you with an appropriate referral.  (You
> might mention in your request that if they don't have direct
> information about this, they might check with the OE Productivity
> Suite folks.)
>
> Best of luck!
> Aron
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> iso
>>

>> On 11/18/11 4:17 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:
>>>
>>> Back on 5/26/2010, Erik Klavon wrote, in response to a similar
>>> query:
>>>
>>> I don't know whether that is still the case, but that's the sole
>>> mention of this topic that I could find.
>>>
>>> Aron Roberts Information Services and Technology

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
>>> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the
>>> past.

Re: [Micronet] let me try this again... (was Re: who at IST resets password for @berkeley.edu Google accounts?)

Bernie Rossi
I will have to follow up with Bill.

Greg, I'll find out and get back to you.

Thanks

Bernie