Re: [Micronet] Access help? suggested meeting Feb 9 2-4pm 28Uhall

Re: [Micronet] Access help? suggested meeting Feb 9 2-4pm 28Uhall

Kathleen Valerio
Thanks Magee,

I appreciate your offer. My hunch is not that many of us really need help with working with Databases in general - not just Access per say- I'm pretty good at slicing and dicing data through Excel Pivot tables, but I would be able to get a lot more done if I could run reports through a database - such as Access.  I took the Access training as well about a year ago but I wasn't successful translating what I learned into something more meaningful for my work.

Perhaps we should just pick a date and time and start talking to see what we can do to help each other.
For argument sake I'm scheduled to be in the computer lab 28 University Hall Feb 9th 2-4pm for Open Lab time.
If anyone wants to join me then perhaps we can share what we know and what we hope to learn and get a conversation going.  Perhaps we'll grow our way into becoming DBUG the Database User Group or DAM Data Analyst Mavens or something.
I'm open to the idea and sure could use the help myself. If Feb 9 doesn't work for you I'm also available to meet during lunch Feb 3, 10, 15 or 22.

Let's get something started

thanks

Kathleen Valerio
CalPact Coordinator
643-0452

Re: [Micronet] Access help? suggested meeting Feb 9 2-4pm 28Uhall

Curtis Leung
  Hi All,

Since this thread is sent to Micronet, might I also suggest that finance
and business people be notified/included.  Off the top of my head, I'm
thinking BPAWG, but there could be more lists/groups that I'm not aware
of.  If anyone deals with manipulating data and generating reports,
they'll benefit the most when applying Excel and Access concepts to
real-world applications.

Thanks,

Curtis
--
Curtis Leung
Applications Programmer

On 1/28/2011 3:19 PM, Kathleen Valerio wrote:

> Thanks Magee,
>
> I appreciate your offer. My hunch is not that many of us really need help with working with Databases in general - not just Access per say- I'm pretty good at slicing and dicing data through Excel Pivot tables, but I would be able to get a lot more done if I could run reports through a database - such as Access.  I took the Access training as well about a year ago but I wasn't successful translating what I learned into something more meaningful for my work.
>
> Perhaps we should just pick a date and time and start talking to see what we can do to help each other.
> For argument sake I'm scheduled to be in the computer lab 28 University Hall Feb 9th 2-4pm for Open Lab time.
> If anyone wants to join me then perhaps we can share what we know and what we hope to learn and get a conversation going.  Perhaps we'll grow our way into becoming DBUG the Database User Group or DAM Data Analyst Mavens or something.
> I'm open to the idea and sure could use the help myself. If Feb 9 doesn't work for you I'm also available to meet during lunch Feb 3, 10, 15 or 22.
>
> Let's get something started
>
> thanks
>
> Kathleen Valerio
> CalPact Coordinator
> 643-0452

Magee Mooney
Sounds good.  I have experience with more databases than I can count.  I am a solid generalist with some areas of depth (and a few obsolete certifications in db admin and development) and I'm always looking to develop more expertise.  Meeting with a group of other data folks would be great to be help and be helped.

I have the same time window available the 9th and can meet you and anyone else at UHall.  Lunch is good the 10th and the 15th too.  The other days won't work for me.

If anyone else wants to join us, I do have other times available after 2/8 so let me know if 2/9 isn't good.

Otherwise, I'll see you there!

[...]

Wow we are getting a good response for the database support group idea, including suggestions for who else to invite.
Being that this is a spontaneous response to what appear to be a real need. I suggest we do the following to get things off the ground.

1) Since Magee Mooney has graciously offered to lend expertise and I have the computer room booked Feb 9 2-4pm lets host our first session. If you want to sign up, please register for Open Lab/ Computing Office Hours in the learning Center, or just show up.

2) I'll put a hold on my lunch hour on Feb 15th and if it looks like we're getting something off the ground we can meet again then.

3) Perhaps we can convert the currently schedule Open Lab/Computing office hours into Hands on consulting sessions going forward and pick a different topic each month - or perhaps people can volunteer to share what they know with the rest of us...

Please go ahead and forward this idea to people on other lists such as BFS, CAN, BPAWG, BSA etc. and we'll see what emerges.

Thanks

Kathleen Valerio
CalPact Coordinator
643-0452

[...]

Anna Maurer
Hi ,

I'd like to join you, if I may. Like Magee, a big part of my time is spent
supporting legacy Access databases. We're moving away from Access towards
SQL Server, but I still find Access to be useful for various purposes.

Anna
Rec Sports

I am currently taking the Access Fundamentals course and am curious to find
out if there are any resources on campus for help with a specific Access
project I am working on. Are there any Access working groups, for instance?
Thanks,
Noam

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.