Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Christopher Brooks
I started looking at DSL for myself, below are some notes.

To see what sort of campus-provided DSL I have now:

1) http://att.my.yahoo.com/
2) Click on "Hi, Please Sign In" on the upper right.
3) Used my @sbcglobal.net address and password.
     You might have to look at your home router for this.
4) Click on "Member Center" in the upper right.
5) Enter my password again.
6) Scroll down to "AT&T Account Settings" and then "View Internet Billing Information"
7) Enter my password again.
8) The bill will have a line like "AT&T HSI Pro" for $39.95.
9) Searching the net for "AT&T HSI Pro" yields
     http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10937
     which indicates
     Downstream Speed: Up to 3.0 Mbps
     Upstream Speed: Up to 512 Kbps

The intro rate is $14.95, that seems to go to $34.95.   I'm not sure if a DSL account
that was being paid via campus is eligible for the intro rate.  Luckily, I'll be
canceling my land line and moving DSL to my housemate's land line, so the discount
rate might be possible.

BTW - I had no problem asking my manager to pay a little extra ($5) if it means that
we don't have to do separate reimbursements by hand.  I'll be taking the pay cut
and covering this cost myself rather than pushing reimbursements around.

Looking at AT&T's DSL offerings:

AT&T High Speed Internet Basic is $19.95 per month with no term required;
   Downstream Up to 768 Kbps
   Upstream Up to 384 Kbps
AT&T High Speed Internet Express is $30.00 per month with no term required;
   Downstream Up to 1.5 Mbps
   Upstream Up to 384 Kbps
AT&T High Speed Internet Pro is $35.00 per month with no term required;
   ($14.95/12 months intro rate if you can get it)
  Downstream Up to 3.0 Mbps
  Upstream  Up to 512 Kbps
AT&T High Speed Internet Elite is $40.00 per month with no term required.
   ($19.95/12 months intro rate if you can get it)
  Downstream Up to 6.0 Mbps
  Upstream  Up to 768 Kbps

An alternative ISP is Sonic.net.  They have great customer support.
I believe that they can provide DSL over your AT&T land line.
I have them up in Sonoma County,  I believe that they will provide DSL
in Alameda County, but I have not checked. Sonic has various offerings including:
Sonic Basic $18.95
    Up to 768kbps Download
    128kbps - 384kbps Upload
Sonic Express $24.95
    Up to 1.5mbps Download
    128kbps - 384kbps Upload
Sonic Pro $29.95/month with free DSL Modem
    1.5mbps-3.0mbps Download
    384kbps-512kbps Upload
Sonic Elite $34.95/month with free DSL model
    3.0mbps-6.0mbps Download
    512kbps-768kbps Upload

In sometimes use a neighbor's Comcast (I pay them some cash), and it seems to work
ok, though it seems like getting Comcast without getting cable tv can be tough,
but maybe now Comcast has seen the light that not everyone watches tv.

Comcast purports to have these offerings:
Comcast Economy $26.95
   Downloads 1.5 Mbps and uploads up to 384 Kbps.
Comcast Performance $44.95 (they have a $19.95/mo for 6 months deal)
   Downloads up to 15Mbps, uploads up to 3Mbps with PowerBoost
Comcast Blast $54.95
   Downloads up to 20Mbps, uploads up to 4Mbps with PowerBoost
Comcast has other offerings as well.

About Comcast's $19.95 discount, the fine print says:
"Comcast’s current monthly service charge for Performance ranges from $42.95 to $59.95,
  and may vary depending on your area and other Comcast services (if any) received."

Does anyone have Comcast High-speed internet without TV?  What is your regular bill?

For more information, see also http://www.dslreports.com/

Other things to think about are:
1) Combining your land line phone service with internet service (does anyone even use
    land line any more?).
2) Get rid of your land line.  In theory, I've heard it is possible to get DSL and not
    get a land line.  My landline costs me $24.40/month, which makes Cable more attractive.
3) Will your current DSL box work if you change providers?
4) Is it time to upgrade your wireless router?  These things seem to die every 2-3 years.

_Christopher

--
Christopher Brooks, PMP                       University of California
CHESS Executive Director                      US Mail: 337 Cory Hall

Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Jon Forrest
On 10/13/2010 5:22 PM, Christopher Brooks wrote:
> I started looking at DSL for myself, below are some notes.

In addition to Christopher's excellent notes, one additional
issue is that none of the DSL companies can offer
the higher speed services if you're too far away
from the local switching station (I forget what
the exact term is for this). For example,
I live near the intersection of Spruce and Grizzly Peak
which is right near the distance limit for ATT DSL
service. I can only get their slowest speed service,
even though I'm willing to pay for faster service.

My neighbor is an ATT DSL installer. He tells me that
ATT will be running fiber cable up into the hills,
and then installing mini switching stations that use
the fiber to connect to the main office. Houses in the
hills will connect to the mini switching stations
which will allow faster service since the distances
between houses and switches will be much less.
My neighbor doesn't know when all this will happen,
but it is being planned.

Jon

Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Brian Peterson
Christopher,

I have Comcast without the TV. Cost is 59.95.

Brian

--
Christopher Brooks, PMP                       University of California
CHESS Executive Director                      US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
Programmer/Analyst CHESS/Ptolemy/Trust        Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2718      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Brian Peterson
Performance

FYI - you pay a premium when you don't have television service. I think its
about $10, but they no longer list it as a line item in the bill. If you
don't have a modem and lease one, I think its another $5/month. The speed
has always been far better than any of the neighbors with DSL, but it is a
bit of a premium cost. Service on the internet when there was an issue (I
think only once or twice and I've had it ever since they first introduced
it) has been good as well as fast - same day.

Brian

Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Jon Johnsen
  I suggest that sonic.net is a an excellent alternative to the phone
company.

Check http://sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/ for some good alternatives.

When you call Sonic.Net for support, you speak with an extremely
knowledgeable tech in Santa Rosa (California!).

I will be switching from fixed IP DSL to Sonic's Fusion service soon.
I've been with them since I switched from the phone company's ISDN in
2000, and have been more than satisfied.

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357

> [...]

>>> outside providers are able to deliver the same or a similar service at a lower cost. Effective immediately, IST will not accept new applications for this service.
>>>
>>> Current subscribers are being notified individually regarding transitioning to high-speed Internet services available through commercial providers. Consistent with our prior commitment, we are
>>> providing one year notice of our intent to abate so that existing customers will have sufficient time explore their options and exercise suitable alternatives.
>>>
>>> If you have comments, questions or concerns, please send email to [hidden email] .
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Michael Mundrane
>>> Deputy CIO for IST

Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Dale Engle
  I love sonic.net but I was unable to get reliable service due to my
distance from an AT&T central office (CO) so I had to go with Comcast.
(I'm in the East Oakland hills near Keller.) I believe the same problem
would exist with Fusion, correct?

On 10/14/2010 6:09 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:

> [...]
>>     and may vary depending on your area and other Comcast services (if any) received."
>>
>> Does anyone have Comcast High-speed internet without TV?  What is your regular bill?
>>
>> For more information, see also http://www.dslreports.com/
>>
>> Other things to think about are:
>> 1) Combining your land line phone service with internet service (does anyone even use
>>       land line any more?).
>> 2) Get rid of your land line.  In theory, I've heard it is possible to get DSL and not
>>       get a land line.  My landline costs me $24.40/month, which makes Cable more attractive.
>> 3) Will your current DSL box work if you change providers?
>> 4) Is it time to upgrade your wireless router?  These things seem to die every 2-3 years.
>>

>> _Christopher

Re: [Micronet] IST's DSL service for off-campus individual use to end December 2010

Ryan Lovett
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 06:09:13AM -0700, Jon Johnsen wrote:
>   I suggest that sonic.net is a an excellent alternative to the phone
> company.

I had sonic for years and they were top notch. When I moved I was too far
away for 6Mbps and had to leave them behind. I wish I could have taken
their tech support with me though Comcast Business Class internet has been
pretty good as well.

Ryan