Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] iPhone 3.0 update has broken the AirBears app.

12

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] iPhone 3.0 update has broken the AirBears app.

Erik Klavon
On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 10:24:48AM -0800, Kevin Sweeney wrote:

> On 12:37 Fri 03 Dec     , Ian Crew wrote:
> > Yeah, that's where I run into being annoyed with Airbears most
> > often, too.  Specifically, when I can't check mail (either
> > automatically or manually) anymore. I then have to realize that it's
> > not working, and that the reason is because the phone has locked onto
> > AirBears, which causes the IMAP connection to stall until you switch
> > from Mail to Safari, pick some random website to connect to, and
> > authenticate.  A pain.
> >
> This is something that's been bothering me as well. The problem seems to
> be that iOS devices do not detect that they are behind a captive portal
> on AirBears. Interestingly though, in RSSP's deployment of extremely
> similar captive portal software iOS properly detects that it is behind a
> captive portal. This means launching anything that tries to connect to
> the Internet like Mail or Pandora will pop us a little modal Mobile
> Safari window and allow the user to authenticate.

AirBears now remembers when you last authenticated using Calnet. If
you use the same web browser to log in, you'll be prompted to enter
your credentials as few as every seven days. Log out if you want
AirBears to forget who you are.

To implement this feature, I had to create a session that retains all
of the information required to authenticate a user in lieu of sending
the user off to CAS or the guest account prompt. While working on this
I discovered that the auto-login feature of IOS would not retain the
information I needed it to in order for the session to work. Regular
Safari didn't have this problem. The problem seemed to be limited to
the Safari like browser that is part of auto-login.

At the time I did this work, IOS didn't give you a way to selectively
disable the auto-login feature. I had to choose between the
inconvenience of having to open safari to authenticate - but not have to
type in your username and password more than once a week - and the
convenience of the auto-login feature with the inconvenience of having
to type in your username and password every time. I chose the former,
and disabled the auto-login feature for IOS devices on AirBears. I
wasn't happy about that compromise, mais c'etait la guerre.

IOS 4, released back in June, includes a new feature where you can
disable auto-login on specific wireless networks. There are still
a few stragglers using versions of IOS prior to 4, but they've
decreased in number to the point where it is almost time to let you
decide if you prefer the (in)convenience of auto-login vs. the
(in)convenience of opening up safari to log in.

When each new version of IOS comes out, I test it to see if the
session information storing problem with auto-login is fixed. I
haven't finished testing 4.2.1 yet.

By the way, do the various packagings of Android have any built in
auto-login features? Or is there a map for that?

Erik

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] iPhone 3.0 update has broken the AirBears app.

Another (straight from Apple) source for info about the viewport:

http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/UsingtheViewport/UsingtheViewport.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006509-SW24

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Ian

On Dec 6, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Erik Klavon wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 05:14:17PM -0800, Ian Crew wrote:
>> Thanks! On my iPhone 4, it looks like the attached.  I can zoom out,
>> and the overall design is great.  So, if we can figure out why Safari
>> zooms in, it'll be perfect.
>>
>> I'll try to do a little googling tomorrow or Monday to try to figure it out.
>
> Someone suggested off list using a meta tag by the name of "viewport",
> helpfully passing along information a web developer had given them. I
> played with the values in the provided example a bit. Please let me
> know if this has improved the zoom for you.
>
> Here's one article that discusses the viewport meta tag:
>
> http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/iphone-development-12-tips
>
> Erik

Ian Crew
Media Vault Program
Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://mvp.berkeley.edu

Outgoing Chair, Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee
http://csac.chance.berkeley.edu

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 06:36:17PM -0800, Erik Klavon wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 10:24:48AM -0800, Kevin Sweeney wrote:
> > On 12:37 Fri 03 Dec     , Ian Crew wrote:
> > > Yeah, that's where I run into being annoyed with Airbears most
> > > often, too.  Specifically, when I can't check mail (either
> > > automatically or manually) anymore. I then have to realize that it's
> > > not working, and that the reason is because the phone has locked onto
> > > AirBears, which causes the IMAP connection to stall until you switch
> > > from Mail to Safari, pick some random website to connect to, and
> > > authenticate.  A pain.
> > >
> > This is something that's been bothering me as well. The problem seems to
> > be that iOS devices do not detect that they are behind a captive portal
> > on AirBears. Interestingly though, in RSSP's deployment of extremely
> > similar captive portal software iOS properly detects that it is behind a
> > captive portal. This means launching anything that tries to connect to
> > the Internet like Mail or Pandora will pop us a little modal Mobile
> > Safari window and allow the user to authenticate.
>
> AirBears now remembers when you last authenticated using Calnet. If
> you use the same web browser to log in, you'll be prompted to enter
> your credentials as few as every seven days. Log out if you want
> AirBears to forget who you are.
>
> To implement this feature, I had to create a session that retains all
> of the information required to authenticate a user in lieu of sending
> the user off to CAS or the guest account prompt. While working on this
> I discovered that the auto-login feature of IOS would not retain the
> information I needed it to in order for the session to work. Regular
> Safari didn't have this problem. The problem seemed to be limited to
> the Safari like browser that is part of auto-login.
>
> At the time I did this work, IOS didn't give you a way to selectively
> disable the auto-login feature. I had to choose between the
> inconvenience of having to open safari to authenticate - but not have to
> type in your username and password more than once a week - and the
> convenience of the auto-login feature with the inconvenience of having
> to type in your username and password every time. I chose the former,
> and disabled the auto-login feature for IOS devices on AirBears. I
> wasn't happy about that compromise, mais c'etait la guerre.
>
> IOS 4, released back in June, includes a new feature where you can
> disable auto-login on specific wireless networks. There are still
> a few stragglers using versions of IOS prior to 4, but they've
> decreased in number to the point where it is almost time to let you
> decide if you prefer the (in)convenience of auto-login vs. the
> (in)convenience of opening up safari to log in.
>
> When each new version of IOS comes out, I test it to see if the
> session information storing problem with auto-login is fixed. I
> haven't finished testing 4.2.1 yet.

Turns out there is a way to infer which version of IOS a device is
running when it checks if it is behind a captive portal. I've hacked
things so that devices running version 4.0.2 and newer should detect
the captive portal when on AirBears, while devices running older
versions of IOS will not. Versions of IOS 4 older than 4.2.1 may not
consistently remember when you last authenticated to AirBears; if you
use Auto-Login with these versions you may need to enter your
credentials more often. 4.2.1 appears to consistently remember when
you last authenticated. If you're running IOS 4 and don't like the
Auto-Login feature, you can disable it for AirBears using settings,
Wi-Fi, the right arrow for AirBears, and the slider for Auto-Login. If
something isn't working for you on IOS 4, try using the Forget this
Network option found on the same screen as the slider for
Auto-Login. Simple, no?

If you're running IOS 4 you can try Auto-Login with AirBears at any
of the locations listed below. If it works for you as described above,
or if you're having trouble with it, please let me know off list.

Thanks,

Erik

Banway, Berkeley Art Museum, Berkeley Conf. Center, Campbell, Edwards
Track, Johnston, Haas Pavillion, Hellman Tennis Complex, International
House Cafe, Marchant, Recreationl Sports Facility (RSF), Richmond
Field Station, Stiles, University Hall, 1750 Arch (McEnery), 1893
Leroy, 1918 University, 1950 Addison, 1995 University, 2000 Center,
2001 Addison, 2087 Addison, 2130 Center, 2150 Kittredge, 2150
Shattuck, 2160 Shattuck, 2168 Shattuck, 2195 Hearst, 2484 Shattuck,
2200 Bancroft, 2223 Fulton, 2440 Bancroft, 2481 Hearst, 2484 Shattuck,
2521 Channing, 2538 Channing, 2547 Bowditch, 2607 Hearst, 2850
Telegraph, 2538 Channing, 3200 Regatt, Tang, Karpe

12